Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 7:24am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah kettle snatches are a favourite of mine as well! I also like doing kettlebell swings, good for the hamstrings and lower back.

a typical session for me would be around 40 mins

- Turkish get ups - 3 sets of 10 on each side
    - Kettlebell snatches - 3 sets of 15 on each side
    - Kettlebell swings - 3 sets of 25
    - wide grip chins with added weight - 3 sets
    - Squats OR Deadlifts 3 sets of 10
    - core cable rotations 3 sets of 12
    - hanging leg raises - 3 sets of 10

I just have short rest periods to keep the heart rate up!

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 9:23am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used to do a lot of weights but had to lay off due to a back injury and switched to running. Running is its own beast now, marathon training is not exactly compatible with judo or kendo. I do have great cardio though...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 10:24am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Used to do a lot of weights but had to lay off due to a back injury and switched to running. Running is its own beast now, marathon training is not exactly compatible with judo or kendo. I do have great cardio though...
    Yeah running is good, but I don't have the motivation for it. the only time I run now is when i'm being chased haha. I mainly do circuits like the above to strengthen my heart and lungs. I will probably have to run at some point though as I want to compete in BJJ so my fitness needs to be better!

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you're reading me wrong - if I wanted to get serious about competitive martial arts, especially judo, I would run way less and get back in the gym. Maybe like three 5k runs a week plus intervals would be more than enough cardio and not lean you out to the point of losing strength. Last summer at peak training I was doing 80-90 km per week and if I were to tackle another marathon I would up that volume, it wasn't enough. That is more or less the anti-judo training program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 6:44pm

Style: dead lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post
    Yeah I couldn't agree more about the strength comment, but I think it's also equally as important to have a solid core, it's surprising how many strong guys can't properly translate it in to a strike/throw etc because their core lets them down.

Let me ask a slightly differing question, if there was only 1 exercise specifically you could do what would it be?

Mine is Turkish get ups with kettlebells. They literally destroy you

Sent from my HTC One using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    If I had to pick one it would be deadlifts. I was thinking about this recently. Im well into my forties. I recently gave up jiu jitsu because of to many injuries. I am an average grappler that has a handfull of techniques that I do well. my cardio is not that great and I only weigh about 185 Pounds. Also I have had a lot of injuries. Yet I still work in a bar and manage to do just fine when having to defend myself against bigger, younger and sometimes technically better fighters. In my 20s I was a very good competitive power lifter. I still deadlift every week. I believe deadlifts and basic jiu jitsu lets me still do what I do.
    Last edited by rnc357; 8/02/2013 6:53pm at .

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post

Mine is Turkish get ups with kettlebells. They literally destroy you
    No, they figuratively destroy you. Literally would result in much less typing from you. I agree that they are a great exercise - whole body workout with a fairly light weight so low risk. I used dumbells, not sure how kettlebells would be much different. There's a video around of a guy doing them squat-style with a 135 lb barbell. Now that's insane.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123