Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKD Kicks + Sneakers = Too D3adly for MMA?

I have a friend who's a TKD black belt (not a big deal, but for that art he seems to be pretty skilled.) I asked him why TaeKwonDo is rarely used in the cage, and he said that what makes TKD so effective in the street is the fact that you're wearing sneakers, which add a whole new level of force to kicks.

I'm by no means a TKD fan, but I wouldn't want to get kicked in the face by a TKD fighter with sneakers on. What do you guys think of this? Anyone have any experience with TKD fighters?

(P.S. - Sorry for the barrage of posts - these are just some of the things me and my friends always talk about, and I'm curious to get your opinions.)

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to spar in sneakers, and they do totally make kicking way easier. Partially beacuse they add weight to your feet, but mostly because they let you kick way more recklessly. You don't have to worry about catching a knee or an elbow and getting the top of your foot fucked up.
    That said, there's nothing particular to TKD that's designed to utilize shoes, and, as you may have noticed, the kicks are trained and practiced around the idea of barefoot competition. The only system of kicking specifically designed around kicking dudes with shoes on is savate.
    So yes your friend is kinda right but still kinda full of **** nonetheless.

I used to spar in sneakers, and they do totally make kicking way easier. Partially beacuse they add weight to your feet, but mostly because they let you kick way more recklessly. You don't have to worry about catching a knee or an elbow and getting the top of your foot fucked up.
    That said, there's nothing particular to TKD that's designed to utilize shoes, and, as you may have noticed, the kicks are trained and practiced around the idea of barefoot competition. The only system of kicking specifically designed around kicking dudes with shoes on is savate.
    So yes your friend is kinda right but still kinda full of **** nonetheless.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by exposingkfrauds View Post
    I wouldn't want to get kicked in the face by a TKD fighter with sneakers on. What do you guys think of this? Anyone have any experience with TKD fighters?
    I always tried to penetrate and stay in close to avoid the high kicks. If that wasn't working, I would fade back and use distance to my advantage until I could close the gap and choose my range.

Read into this that my objective was to not be there when the kick arrived, sneakers or not. Then again, I was merely a TKD practitioner but never a TKD fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:18am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by exposingkfrauds View Post
    I have a friend who's a TKD black belt (not a big deal, but for that art he seems to be pretty skilled.) I asked him why TaeKwonDo is rarely used in the cage, and he said that what makes TKD so effective in the street is the fact that you're wearing sneakers, which add a whole new level of force to kicks.

I'm by no means a TKD fan, but I wouldn't want to get kicked in the face by a TKD fighter with sneakers on. What do you guys think of this? Anyone have any experience with TKD fighters?

(P.S. - Sorry for the barrage of posts - these are just some of the things me and my friends always talk about, and I'm curious to get your opinions.)

Your friend is right about what shoes do to kicks, but he is wrong that this is something peculiar to taekwondo. Lots of arts have kicking in them, all of them would benefit from shoes in a self-defense situation, and many of them have more realistic training methods than the way taekwondo is usually practiced.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate makes use of the shoe as a weapon, and has kicking similarities with TKD, but I'm pretty sure TKD kicks are designed with bare feet in mind (no fouette or coup de pont, no shin scrapes or hacks, and TKD uses ball of the foot kicks, which don't work so well with shoes on. On the other hand the TKD turning kick is likely to jack up your foot if you're barefoot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 1:20am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your first problem is that you have friends who ate TKD black belts. Everything else follows from that :-)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Savate makes use of the shoe as a weapon, and has kicking similarities with TKD, but I'm pretty sure TKD kicks are designed with bare feet in mind (no fouette or coup de pont, no shin scrapes or hacks, and TKD uses ball of the foot kicks, which don't work so well with shoes on. On the other hand the TKD turning kick is likely to jack up your foot if you're barefoot.
    Yup, sneakers were a huge impediment in my attempts to translate my kiddie TKD to t3h d34d1ee str33ts.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 3:52pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If shoes make you kick better what about Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck+Norris+-+Ranger+Walker.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	15263 boots??

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 4:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want your shoes to make kicking nasty get steel toes.

In fact, that trick is so old hat why are we even discussing this?
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 7/31/2013 4:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 4:41pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    If you really want your shoes to makes kicking nasty get steel toes.

In fact, that trick is so old hat why are we even discussing this?
    You could just pull a Statham and strap some bike pedals on your feet. These can be conveniently ditched after hurricane-kicking a gang to death so your feet can remain unregistered as deadly weapons, TKD BB you may be.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast