225000 Bullies, 3792 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 68
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. exposingkfrauds is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    28

    Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:25pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    TKD Kicks + Sneakers = Too D3adly for MMA?

    I have a friend who's a TKD black belt (not a big deal, but for that art he seems to be pretty skilled.) I asked him why TaeKwonDo is rarely used in the cage, and he said that what makes TKD so effective in the street is the fact that you're wearing sneakers, which add a whole new level of force to kicks.

    I'm by no means a TKD fan, but I wouldn't want to get kicked in the face by a TKD fighter with sneakers on. What do you guys think of this? Anyone have any experience with TKD fighters?

    (P.S. - Sorry for the barrage of posts - these are just some of the things me and my friends always talk about, and I'm curious to get your opinions.)
  2. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,434

    Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to spar in sneakers, and they do totally make kicking way easier. Partially beacuse they add weight to your feet, but mostly because they let you kick way more recklessly. You don't have to worry about catching a knee or an elbow and getting the top of your foot fucked up.
    That said, there's nothing particular to TKD that's designed to utilize shoes, and, as you may have noticed, the kicks are trained and practiced around the idea of barefoot competition. The only system of kicking specifically designed around kicking dudes with shoes on is savate.
    So yes your friend is kinda right but still kinda full of **** nonetheless.

    I used to spar in sneakers, and they do totally make kicking way easier. Partially beacuse they add weight to your feet, but mostly because they let you kick way more recklessly. You don't have to worry about catching a knee or an elbow and getting the top of your foot fucked up.
    That said, there's nothing particular to TKD that's designed to utilize shoes, and, as you may have noticed, the kicks are trained and practiced around the idea of barefoot competition. The only system of kicking specifically designed around kicking dudes with shoes on is savate.
    So yes your friend is kinda right but still kinda full of **** nonetheless.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  3. slamdunc is online now
    slamdunc's Avatar

    Extraordinarily Ordinary

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,167

    Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by exposingkfrauds View Post
    I wouldn't want to get kicked in the face by a TKD fighter with sneakers on. What do you guys think of this? Anyone have any experience with TKD fighters?
    I always tried to penetrate and stay in close to avoid the high kicks. If that wasn't working, I would fade back and use distance to my advantage until I could close the gap and choose my range.

    Read into this that my objective was to not be there when the kick arrived, sneakers or not. Then again, I was merely a TKD practitioner but never a TKD fighter.

  4. OwlMatt is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:18am


     Style: aikido

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by exposingkfrauds View Post
    I have a friend who's a TKD black belt (not a big deal, but for that art he seems to be pretty skilled.) I asked him why TaeKwonDo is rarely used in the cage, and he said that what makes TKD so effective in the street is the fact that you're wearing sneakers, which add a whole new level of force to kicks.

    I'm by no means a TKD fan, but I wouldn't want to get kicked in the face by a TKD fighter with sneakers on. What do you guys think of this? Anyone have any experience with TKD fighters?

    (P.S. - Sorry for the barrage of posts - these are just some of the things me and my friends always talk about, and I'm curious to get your opinions.)

    Your friend is right about what shoes do to kicks, but he is wrong that this is something peculiar to taekwondo. Lots of arts have kicking in them, all of them would benefit from shoes in a self-defense situation, and many of them have more realistic training methods than the way taekwondo is usually practiced.
  5. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,555

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:30am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate makes use of the shoe as a weapon, and has kicking similarities with TKD, but I'm pretty sure TKD kicks are designed with bare feet in mind (no fouette or coup de pont, no shin scrapes or hacks, and TKD uses ball of the foot kicks, which don't work so well with shoes on. On the other hand the TKD turning kick is likely to jack up your foot if you're barefoot.
  6. BJMills is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    456

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 1:20am


     Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your first problem is that you have friends who ate TKD black belts. Everything else follows from that :-)
  7. ermghoti is online now
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,178

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 11:53am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Savate makes use of the shoe as a weapon, and has kicking similarities with TKD, but I'm pretty sure TKD kicks are designed with bare feet in mind (no fouette or coup de pont, no shin scrapes or hacks, and TKD uses ball of the foot kicks, which don't work so well with shoes on. On the other hand the TKD turning kick is likely to jack up your foot if you're barefoot.
    Yup, sneakers were a huge impediment in my attempts to translate my kiddie TKD to t3h d34d1ee str33ts.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
  8. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,117

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 3:52pm


     

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If shoes make you kick better what about Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck+Norris+-+Ranger+Walker.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	15263 boots??
  9. Mr. Machette is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 4:22pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want your shoes to make kicking nasty get steel toes.

    In fact, that trick is so old hat why are we even discussing this?
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 7/31/2013 4:59pm at .
  10. KickPuncher is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    157

    Posted On:
    7/31/2013 4:41pm


     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    If you really want your shoes to makes kicking nasty get steel toes.

    In fact, that trick is so old hat why are we even discussing this?
    You could just pull a Statham and strap some bike pedals on your feet. These can be conveniently ditched after hurricane-kicking a gang to death so your feet can remain unregistered as deadly weapons, TKD BB you may be.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.