Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

10,000 Hours of Rolling?

Not sure if anyone here has read Malcolm Galdwell's "The Outliers", but it basically states that in order to truly master something, you need to put in roughly 10,000 hours of practice.

I'm in my late 20s, and I've probably rolled about 1,500-2,000 hours tops. But I'm no master.

Do you think that some of BJJ's top practitioners HAVE put in that kind of time? If so, how do you figure? That seems like A LOT.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 2:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It works out to be about between 19 to 20 hours a week for 10 years.

So just think about that any job you have worked at full time for you should be an expert in at 5 years.

So I am going to go with yes 10,000 hours is do able but its a commitment.

I know enough people that have ate slept and breathed just about nothing but BJJ who certainly have put down 10,000 hours and I know a few more whom will certainly get there in short enough order.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How specific does that 10,000 hours have to be to "master" something? Cause it seems to me that BJJ is a fluid combination of a lot of different games or tasks that we think of as "practicing BJJ". Does armbarring someone help towards your mastery of taking their back? Also, what exactly does it mean to master something?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 11:37am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Facepalm.

Let's see the quote kid. The actual quote in context...

Never mind, I found it.

So yes, I've got about 10,000+ mat Hours over a span of 30+ years. So Yeah. The way we use this example in actual physical activity goes more to the point of you need to put in 10,000 hours for a movement or a practice to be second nature. You don't have to think of it, that it's just there. We could delve much deeper into this but it truly doesn't mean to do the exact same thing over and over again 10,000 times. There's much more to this than the literal meaning of the statement.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    There's much more to this than the literal meaning of the statement.
    So, 10,000 in the Chinese sense of the word?

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 1:02pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A better book is "Blink" actually, which talks about the way your subconscious brain functions on an entirely different level, and allows you to "think" about things which are then decided on the basis of feelings. Using that thinking, I walked out of the Multi-State Bar exam an hour early each session (it's two three hours sessions in CA) and passed. I love Gladwell, though.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2013 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    A better book is "Blink" actually, which talks about the way your subconscious brain functions on an entirely different level, and allows you to "think" about things which are then decided on the basis of feelings. Using that thinking, I walked out of the Multi-State Bar exam an hour early each session (it's two three hours sessions in CA) and passed. I love Gladwell, though.
    Gonna check that out. Thx.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2013 3:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    how many hours does it take to get a masters degree?

It depends when you start counting

Say if I wanted to do a masters degree in a business subject the time of studying would be one year, say 13 hours of lectures plus extra reading and time completing assessments. However I couldn't simply qualify for the course based on my winning smile. I had to do a Undergraduate degree which took a similar time commitment for three years in England but four in other countries.

However I couldn't achieve either of these qualifications without the ability to read, write and an understanding of basic functional maths which is a significant period of time. Especially if the person is Dyslexic like me

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/01/2013 6:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think people should think for themselves instead of buying into everything they read in a book. Anyone who tries to quantify what it takes to "master" something in terms of hours or repetitions is a fucking retard. Anyone who nods their head like adoring students at a George Dillman seminar is even more retarded.

Every such statement is based on **** that can't be adequately defined. Like what it means to be a master. What it means to be an expert. What it means for something to be second nature. What qualifies as practice? What doesn't? What about solid, high quality, focused practice vs. robotic, half-hearted, going through the motions type practice?

It's mushy, unquantifiable mumbo jumbo. Look at people you consider to be masters of something. You'll find they took many different roads to arrive where they are. And they won't all be equal. And they will have different strengths and weaknesses. Probably different genetic advantages and disadantages. It goes on and on.

It's bullshit. Think for yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:27am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh sweet, Dan is back.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast