Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 10:36pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    I can no reason to raise the violentce lev . Why not CS or CS,batons and shields.As to the TAZ while down again why not a baton. If he he is stil holding the knife hit him in the hand and sweep the blade away with the baton.My opinion, somebody got trigger happy or a ND causig a mass shooting. PS apologies for the spelling mistakes , meds kicking in. Joe
    You had me till the "baton the hand" and "sweep the knife" part (and the take down a knifeman with shields and batons). A Taser has much less chance of injury to a subject vs a baton and is much more effective. Take the head off the target list for a baton and its knockdown power is not all that impressive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 1:16am

Style: MMA, Hoshinsul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That^

Yeah, sounds like someone got excited. De-escalation and less lethal would have been the way to go here.

That being said, you act a fool waving a knife around, you should know getting shot is a possibility

Sent from my LG-L38C using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 12:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A fellow-passenger (before fleeing/being ordered off the streetcar) stated that the knife-wielder was behind most other people before the incident started, then took the knife out, held it still in front of him while shouting and walking slowly toward the front of the vehicle.

This witness made the interesting observation that, had knife-guy wanted to, he could easily have stabbed a number of people from behind, using speed and quiet, before a general alarm was sounded.

That he went loud-and-slow--rather than actually attacking anyone--makes one wonder: suicide-by-cop?

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 3:04pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 4:05pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, if I were to highjack a trolley with a knife I would be expecting to get shot rather than getting a stern talking to.

I guess they could have talked him down, but is that really the expectation in this situation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 2:12am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    I guess they could have talked him down, but is that really the expectation in this situation?
    Yes.

Unless of course they're executing the mentally disturbed in Canada, now.

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 9:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One issue I have with police reactions to the vid is that many of them seem to think there are two types of person facing a sharp-wielder: cops, and those with absolutely no use-of-force training. The great ones and the rest, so to speak.

They might want to recall that it's not as dichotomous as that: some of us end up in use-of-force situations--including potentially deadly ones, such as someone wielding a sharp--without all sorts of tools on our duty-belts.

Do not misunderstand, we (bouncers and others in similar professions) do not seek such situations, nor do we encourage them: on the contrary, trying to defuse aggression is part of the job. However, incidents can develop suddenly--before we have a chance to de-escalate matters or call authorities--in which case it's our training versus some amped-up moron(s) with the sharp (or whatever).

Being basically an idiot, I've been in club security (alongside other jobs) since the early 80's. This means that I've faced morons, with all sorts of nasty things in their hands and a wish to use those things on anyone nearby (or a specific target), from time to time. Close quarters in crowded and dubiously-illuminated situations, not like a brightly-lit street car with absolutely nobody near it. I may have a taken few minor cuts, a scar or two...but I've never had to bash or choke the life out of anybody yet.

In the vid, there is lots of distance between Yatim and anyone else. He's moving either very slowly or not at all. Only one cop, out of all present, plugged him--nine times. Thus, this does not appear to be a general reaction-trained response or other force members would have done likewise.

Forcillo's trial may turn out to be quite interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 9:56am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point. But how would they know he is mentally disturbed?

I don't know all the facts obviously, but a lot of factors could have influenced the decision. If the suspect was told to stop and kept coming at the officers while armed with a knife, what is the protocol for that situation? Still if only one of the 9 officers shot him, maybe I am missing something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point. But how would they know he is mentally disturbed?
    Really?

I don't know all the facts obviously, but a lot of factors could have influenced the decision. If the suspect was told to stop and kept coming at the officers while armed with a knife,
    Except you can see in the video that this wasn't the case.
    what is the protocol for that situation?
    I would also like to know. LEOs out there, in your opinions what's the possible justification for deadly force when the man was cornered and only armed with a knife?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 7:08pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is innocent until proven guilty.....but it looks as if there was a **** up. I wasn't there, I can not Monday morning the whole thing, so I wont try. However, I find the reaction of the other officers to the gunshots fairly telling.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast