Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shoot First...Then Tase

Seems a young man started brandishing a knife and ordered everyone else off the streetcar. Cops showed up, and you can see and hear the rest. While other aspects of the incident are being debated amongst the pro- and anti-cop camps, one has to ask: what would be the point of tasing someone after plugging him multiple times?

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 4:05pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post

Seems a young man started brandishing a knife and ordered everyone else off the streetcar. Cops showed up, and you can see and hear the rest. While other aspects of the incident are being debated amongst the pro- and anti-cop camps, one has to ask: what would be the point of tasing someone after plugging him multiple times?
    I can see it. It's possible the guy was down but still fighting, even though shot. If he dropped or lost the knife we cant just execute him. Maybe he started reaching into a pocket for another knife. I can envision a few scenarios where it could happen.

I'm not really sure why they started shooting the guy in this particular incident. Were there other people on the streetcar he could have hurt? If he was alone why not just contain and negotiate?
    Last edited by tgace; 7/29/2013 4:14pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 4:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am anti-cop.

Okay not so much, but this is a completely unknowable situation. I've witnessed some weird ****. One of them was watching a guy shot in the chest run about 100 yards before collapsing. He was high on drugs, but it shattered the belief that a gun is always the perfect threat stopper. Depends on the caliber and the wound.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell what the hell's going on inside the streetcar, but I did count at least a dozen cops on the scene. I think between a dozen trained cops they should've been able to handle this without shooting anyone. They could've taken more than three minutes trying to talk the man down before storming in to shoot him. A man with a knife can be very dangerous, but when he's holed up inside and you're outside with nine other armed men, going in to confront him seems like a total hothead maneuver. He's not going anywhere, he's got no hostages, there are no nearby civilians he might attack. Poor police work, IMHO.

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 7:54pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not enough info on the video to draw a conclusion but I think trying to apprehend somebody after they have been shot (even if a taser is used) shows a reluctance to just let the suspect bleed.

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 8:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe his soul was still dancing?

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 1:25pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I'm not really sure why they started shooting the guy in this particular incident. Were there other people on the streetcar he could have hurt? If he was alone why not just contain and negotiate?
    That is the big question being asked right now in that city.

Everyone else was off the vehicle and nobody was anywhere near the guy with the knife. Unless somebody thought he'd be some kind of expert knife-thrower (he wasn't holding it as if he was), or unless he had a hand in a pocket going for something else (the vid indicates no such thing), the the choice of deadly force over negotiation is more than a bit odd. Nobody else was near him, no hostages, nothing of that kind.

It does look like there was time to deal with this by attempting de-escalation. Why this was not the route chosen by the attending officers remains to be seen.

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 3:47pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you listen to the vid they mentioned hand cuffing him after the tazing.

So still wriggling?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 1:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One doesn't necessarily go immediately still after being shot--even multiple times. How dangerously one might be wriggling after being swiss-cheesed, that's something that might well come up in the inevitable inquiry.

As of this morning, it has been determined that it was one cop, out of all those present, who did all of the shooting. Been a cop for six years, apparently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 10:17pm

Style: Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can no reason to raise the violentce lev . Why not CS or CS,batons and shields.As to the TAZ while down again why not a baton. If he he is stil holding the knife hit him in the hand and sweep the blade away with the baton.My opinion, somebody got trigger happy or a ND causig a mass shooting. PS apologies for the spelling mistakes , meds kicking in. Joe
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast