Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 8:02pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's trying to keep it close in and as simple as possible. I can see a few reasons why he did it the way he did.

1. The grip may be so it is similar to people who have done bayonet practise.

2. Holding the stick one-handed would mean starting further away and drawing the stick back to strike would give the opponent more reaction time. It would also tempt you so stand back and swing rather then to step in and finish.

3. Switching from a one-handed to two handed grip once you have started your attack would make it more complicated for someone who hasn't spent hours practising stick fighting techniques.

4. Striking at the legs would encourage the opponent to jump back. Even if they don't you are still quite far away your throat strike finish than if you stick to the centre line.

5. Swinging at the head means being further back giving more reaction time and the chance to duck/block with an arm. Chances are you'll still finish them but it will be noisier and take longer.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/13/2013 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    3. Switching from a one-handed to two handed grip once you have started your attack would make it more complicated for someone who hasn't spent hours practising stick fighting techniques.
    I think the lowest common denominator of stickfighting is to grip it at one end and swing it with one or two hands to impart kinetic energy, so I sorta assume any deviation from that will have to be trained sufficiently, including striking from a port arms position with various thrusts.

Posted On:
    9/13/2013 5:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Various methods of securing a prisoner:
    "All raiding parties should have among their equipment a small roll of adhesive tape,
    preferably of one or more inches in width, and a length of silk rope or cord, about a
    quarter of an inch in diameter and about five yards in length, for gagging and
    securing a prisoner whom they wish to leave unguarded.
    To Gag a Prisoner.- Force a piece of cloth or a lump of turf into his mouth; then
    place two or more strips of adhesive tape, approximately four and a half inches in
    length, firmly over his mouth, taking care not to cover his nostrils.
    Tying the Highwayman's Hitch.--This knot should be practiced on a pole or the
    back of a chair, until it can be done in the dark"

1. Holding the cord with a short end (about two feet), pass it behind the pole,
    with the short end to the left and the long to the right (Fig. 94).
    2. Pass the long end, in a loop, up and over the pole and through the loop held in
    the left hand. Then pull down on the short end with the right hand (Fig. 95).
    3. Pass the short end of the cord, in a loop, up and over the pole and through the
    loop held in the left hand, and form the knot shown in Fig. 96.
    Holding the loop in the left hand, pull down on the long end of the cord, pass
    the left hand through the loop and then pull on both ends of the cord and tie
    two half-hitches to prevent slipping (Fig. 97)

A - From the Handcuff Hold
    1. Throw your prisoner to the ground on his stomach, tying his wrists together behind his back by means of the High-way man's Hitch, as
    in Fig. 98, and force his arms well up his back.

2. Pass the cord around his neck; then back and around his wrists again; then bend his legs backwards and tie his legs together, as in Fig.99.
    Note. - If your prisoner keeps still, he will not hurt himself, but should he attempt to struggle, he will most likely strangle himself."

(couldn't find a pic of this one, its basically a hogtie that goes around one wrist then the neck then the other wrist before the feet)

I don't know as much about knots as I'd like to, and I've never had to secure someone, so I don't have much beyond speculation on these ones. Anyone with an arresting background have any comments on these?

Posted On:
    9/15/2013 10:43pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use handcuffs....or flex cuffs.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I know knotwork a little from fishing and a little boating, that diagram does not match the instructions at all, sloppy work there. I'm not familiar with that tie, I'll fiddle with it.

A guy I know dabbles in hojuitsu or whatever that stylized tying art is called. We've done a little full resistance rolling, and while it's interesting/fun/sexy, it doesn't seem too practical. In any event, they start from a lark's head, as it is a near instantaneous initial point of security, and can be affected one handed easily enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 11:21am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Well, I know knotwork a little from fishing and a little boating, that diagram does not match the instructions at all, sloppy work there. I'm not familiar with that tie, I'll fiddle with it.
    Highwayman's Hitch, AKA Slip Hitch, is a very useful knot, but a bad choice for tying someone up, even with the two half-hitches added.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 11:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you recommend an alternative method?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, and assuming the subject is subdued already, it would be tough to beat the box tie (which has leaked into the fetish world, so search with caution). Basically, the arms are tied to the torso, then the wrists are crossed parallel to each other behind the back, and bound (surprisingly loosely) together, and to the horizontal tie. There is little possibility for either a timely escape or constriction damage. What occurs is in order to uncross the wrists, the subject would have to push his elbows beyond what the horizontal tie would allow. Another plus, is that nothing more complex than a square knot or half hitch is required.

Ultimately, with rope, one can either accept injury to the subject, or assume eventual escape if unattended.

Here's a version with a single rope, also including the neck, to discourage wriggling. Obviously, strangulation would be a hazard.

Name:  hojo1.gif
Views: 171
Size:  7.7 KB

That said, in the modern world, there is absolutely no reason not to use zip ties or flex cuffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 12:54pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Would you recommend an alternative method?
    I know two different handcuff knots, but I'll have to find an online description of them.

Frankly, a regular bow (AKA a slipped square knot) works well - the wrists go in the loops, then pull the ends tight, and add another square knot to secure. It's not as good because it takes too long to tie.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 3:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another prisoner securing method: the grapevine:

"Select a tree, post, or lamp-post of about seven inches in diameter.

1. Make your prisoner climb on the tree as in Fig. 100. 2. Place his right leg around the front of the tree, with his foot to the left. Place his left leg over his right ankle, as in Fig. 101,and take his left foot back behind the tree. 3. Force him well down the pole until the weight of his body locks his left foot around the tree, as in Fig. 102.

Note. - Even though you have left your prisoner's hands free, it will, if he has been forced well down the tree, be almost impossible for him to escape.
    Normally, the average man placed in this position would get cramp in one or both legs within ten to fifteen minutes, when it is not at all unlikely that he would throw himself backwards. This would kill him.

Caution. - To release your prisoner: Two persons are necessary, one on either side. Take hold of his legs and lift him up the tree; then unlock his legs."

This one really leaves me scratching my head. You get a guy to triangle choke a tree, and his own weight is supposed to keep him from unkeying his legs, and if he falls back he dies. First of all, if he can die from throwing himself backwards (and I really doubt it would), then its not a good prisoner hold, because prisoners are only useful if they're alive. Wouldn't want to give the guy an easy out. But I can key my legs and lay on my back without dying and I don't really see a spine-breaking happening if they let go of the tree. Second, would it really be impossible to unkey the legs simply because there's weight on top? I doubt it, but am in no position to try to choke a tree with my legs (and would hate to find that its all true!). If nothing else, one could inchworm their way up the tree to do it. Plus it takes 2 people to get them up and they need to be constantly watched. So this whole method seems like a lot more trouble than its worth. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Permalost; 9/16/2013 3:16pm at .
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast