pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Match Box Attack:
    "You are sitting down, say, in a railway coach. Your opponent, who is on your left,
    sticks a gun in your ribs, holding it in his right hand.
    1. Take a match-box and hold it as in Fig. 74, the top of the box being slightly
    below the finger and thumb.

2. Keeping the upper part of the right arm close to the right side of your body,
    with a circular upward motion of your right fist, turning your body from the
    hip, strike your opponent hard on the left side of his face, as near to the
    jawbone as possible (Fig. 75); parry the gun away from your body with your
    left forearm.

"Note. - The odds of knocking your opponent unconscious by this method are at least two to one. The fact that this can be accomplished with a match-box is not well-known, and for this reason is not likely to raise your opponent's suspicion of your movements. Naturally, all movements, from the start of the blow, must be carried out with the utmost speed."

This one really leaves me scratching my head. I suppose its common knowledge that a wide right hook to the jaw can knock someone out, but how much could a matchbox possibly do? Would it work from a seated position like that? Would the fighter be better off using their own natural weapons than augmenting them with a little cardboard square? Are 1940s matchbooks more robust than I'm imagining?

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 11:39am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely he has to mean some sort of metal matchbox thing? I can't see cardboard really being applicable.

The strike looks more like what I learned as a "haito" but with a closed fist, I've had some small success with them, but they're not really high percentage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 11:56pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I understand, matchboxes were a bit more substantial then, and also gave you something to squeeze while making a fist. Kind of like a fist load, but no real additional weight, just a tighter fist.

Or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 12:35am

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's meant to be more or less a ridge-hand to the jaw with a semi-closed fist. The matchbox is not the striking surface, just something to wrap your hand around.

I have seen someone dropped in one shot by just such a strike but he wasn't knocked out and bounced back up pretty quickly. On the other hand, the guy doing the hitting had forgotten his matchbox so maybe that's why it didn't work well for him :)

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 4:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A mod of the Chelsea hammer?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2013 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if this will work, because Facebook, but DONKEY KICK!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 12:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Smacking the ears:
    This method should be applied when your opponent has no protection over his ears.
    1. Cup your hands, keeping the fingers and thumbs bent and close together, as
    in Fig. 76.

2. Strike your opponent simultaneously over both ears, using five to ten pounds
    force (Fig. 77)

Note. - This will probably burst one or both ear-drums, give him at least a mild form of
    concussion, and make him what is known in boxing circles as "punch-drunk." You will then have no difficulty in dealing with him in any way you wish.

So that you may realize what the effect of a blow given as above is like, apply it on yourself, as in Fig. 77A. Care must be taken to use only half a pound force with each hand"

I'm a believer in ear strikes, since when I was a kid, we rassle'd a lot and we sometimes hit each other with them lightly. Bas Rutten speaks to the effectiveness of them as well. I wonder, though, if you'd be better off using one hand so you could have good hip rotation, to deliver one extra hard ear slap, rather than two that use no hips (but create anvils for each other so force isn't bled into moving to one side). I also kinda wonder how much of the damage/stunning done by a hard double ear clap is done by the usually defined culprit (air funneled at high speed into the eardrum) and how much is done by referred force of the hands striking the head.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think that'd be a guarantee of inner ear trauma in addition to the damage described above. Pretty tough to fight back if you're unable to balance while dealing with the pain of a couple burst eardrums. Don't know about this 5-10 lbs stuff, I'd figure just go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm a believer in ear strikes, since when I was a kid, we rassle'd a lot and we sometimes hit each other with them lightly. Bas Rutten speaks to the effectiveness of them as well. I wonder, though, if you'd be better off using one hand so you could have good hip rotation, to deliver one extra hard ear slap, rather than two that use no hips (but create anvils for each other so force isn't bled into moving to one side). I also kinda wonder how much of the damage/stunning done by a hard double ear clap is done by the usually defined culprit (air funneled at high speed into the eardrum) and how much is done by referred force of the hands striking the head.
    No doubt you already know this, Permalost, but just be ready with a "plan B" in case your ear strikes have zero effect on the person you're dealing with. I can't count the number of supposed experts who've claimed such strikes are invariably debilitating, and then tried them on me (or other people in my business) only to discover that they're far from being fight-enders.

Like the whole "eight-lbs.-of pressure-PSI-to-break-a-kneecap" thing, or the "strike-to the-side-of-the-neck" that looks so good on paper, the "burst-the-eardrums" (or whatever) theory is something that might not hold up so well when attempted away from abstract-land.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 9/03/2013 1:47pm at .

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 4:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fairbairn's stickfighting:
    "A man without a weapon to defend himself, especially after long ,is very likely to give upindespair. It is remarkable what a difference it would make in his morale if he had a small stick or cane in his hand. Now, add to this the knowledge that he could, with ease, kill any opponent with a stick, and you will then see how easy it is to cultivate the offensive spirit which is so essential in present-day warfare.

1. A small stick of 18 to 24 inches in length and about i inch in thickness will
    make an ideal weapon. (If one is not available, it can be broken off a tree.)
    Note. - If you are to be successful in the application of this method, it is
    essential for you to have the element of surprise on your side. This can best be
    obtained by taking the position shown in Fig. 86.

2. Retaining your hold of the stick with your right hand, 'swing the other end up
    and catch it in your left hand about six inches from the end. This should be
    done without looking down at your hands or stick. Pay particular attention to
    the position of the hands (Fig. 87).
    Note. - The reason for using this unusual hold of the stick should be obvious. It is not at all
    likely that anyone (not previously aware of this particular method of attack) would have the
    slightest suspicion that he was in danger of being attacked.
    NO. 25 - ATTACK WITH A SMALL STICK OR CANE (cont)
    You are close up and facing your opponent, as in Fig. 88.
    1. Strike your opponent across the stomach with the left end of the stick
    by a vicious circular motion towards your right-hand side.
    In delivering this blow, there are four essential points that must be carried out
    simultaneously:
    (a)
    Your loose grip on the stick, both hands (Fig. 87), must be changed
    to one as strong as possible.
    (b)
    The movement of your left hand is towards your right-hand side.
    (c)
    The movement of your right hand is inwards to the left, but much
    shorter than that of the left hand, because of your right hand's
    coming against your right side.
    (d)
    The movement of your left foot is forward towards the right. This
    permits you to put the weight of your body behind the blow. See
    Fig. 89"

"GET TOUGH!
    How To Win In Hand-To-Hand Fighting
    As Taught To The British Commandos And The U.S. Armed Forces
    W.E. FAIRBAIRN
    Note. - Methods No. 2 (the point, up under the chin) and No. 5 (the center, into the "Adam's
    apple") are finishing-off or killing blows, but you must first bring your opponent into the
    position that permits you to deal them effectively. Method No. i (the point across the stomach) will, on account of its unexpectedness, enable you to accomplish this, and your attack should always start with the stomach attack"

So basically Fairbairn advocates a wide 2 handed grip with the thumbs facing the same direction (Port Arms position), primarily to strike the opponent with the tip or butt of the stick like a little bayonet. I'm actually a fan of the wide 2 handed grip for using the baton length stick, but I advocate thumbs towards each other. It makes sense, though, to teach a sequence of movement that's pretty much identical to the bayonet though, so I find it weird that he bothered to deviate at all. It also seems odd that with a wide 2 handed grip, he didn't teach any strikes using the stick portion between the 2 hands. If the idea is to crash in to close range and beat with wide 2 handed strikes, that seems like an obvious thing to cover. Frankly I think it'd be better to teach that than Fig 91-93, which seem a little weird to me. There's also nothing about holding the stick in one hand and bludgeoning with it. A lot of improvised weapons wouldn't work well this way, like the umbrella (which Fairbairn taught the same as the stick), but a lot of them would work perfectly fine or better as a one handed bludgeon than a 2 handed poking device.

The strategy behind Fairbairn's stick is to hit them to break their posture and expose the throat, then attack the throat with a 2 handed stick attack. Seems to me that swinging the stick at the legs would be a fine way to accomplish act 1. Also, seems to me that bludgeoning the head would work as well as poking the throat. I'd also include a stick choke or 2 if the emphasis is gonna be stick to the throat (guillotine and fang chokes).
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast