Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 2:39pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like he's damming run-off to fill his reservoirs.....

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Sounds like he needs a better lawyer. Is he damming streams that run year round? Or even intermittently ? Sound like no to me... it should be interesting case if he pursues it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Not really.

He has "pits" on his property. The rainwater falls into the pits where it stays until he chosses to drain them by opening the dams. The dams basically work as a control against flooding. They do not divert anything from the river. To the contrary, they allow water to flow into the river that would otherwise stay on his property.

These little deatails are the reason it's taken about ten years or so for the local Gov. to back him into a 1.5k corner. They've probably spent far more than that trying to mess with the guy for the last decade.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    The dams basically work as a control against flooding. They do not divert anything from the river. To the contrary, they allow water to flow into the river that would otherwise stay on his property.
    Conversely, the pits collect water that would otherwise flow into the river. I think that's the other side's point.

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Conversely, the pits collect water that would otherwise flow into the river. I think that's the other side's point.
    This isn't dry-azz Sand Diego up here. Nine months out of the year your footprint goes below the water table. Dig a post hole and you'll have a "man made pond". Anything below ground level is basically "in the water table.

The idea that holes on his property are damaging to the river is laughable at best. Not to mention, the water does eventually flow into the river and does leech into the ground.

The city's case is total bull$%#@ and that's why the best they can get after all this time is a token fine and providing this guy with three hots and a cot for 30 days. I know a guy who did three times that stint for running out of the Plaid Pantry with a bottle of Ripple in his pants. What I'm saying is his "heinous crime" falls somewhere short of shoplifting. It's a bad joke, man.

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 4:08pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...can a homeowner build a "pond" if he want's too or does he have to get a permit?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 9:53pm

Style: MMA, Hoshinsul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for clearing that up Machete. Been wondering about the actual facts on this one. Sounds like some bullshit.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 11:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...can a homeowner build a "pond" if he want's too or does he have to get a permit?
    Depends completely on where you live. So, the answer can be yes, you have to get a permit. Heck in my state, you ned to get approval and call the company blue stake to make sure you are cleared to dig. Many areas have weird zoning laws as well.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 6:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't about pollution, it's about money.

Here in South Florida, sale of water as a utility is a major source of revenue for municipalities. I know this because back in 2006, after a 1-2-3 punch from hurricanes Francis, Jeanne, and Wilma, the decision was made to drain Lake Okeechobee, which is a major part of our fresh water infrastructure.

Oh, (big) brother.

The draining preceded a drought, and severe water usage restrictions went into effect. I can't find the articles, but there were actually people driving around issuing citations for illegal water usage. Eventually, people got the idea and people like me just stopped watering their lawns altogether. This is about the time we started hearing about municipalities losing revenue because of the tight water restrictions. Well, geez, wouldn't you know it - they eased the restrictions, and then lifted them in the last year or two (not sure exactly when).

Now, the lake is overfull again, and we're in a hurricane season that is experiencing heavy rain. At least they are looking for a better way to drain the lake without losing all the water, this time.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it does. The question is though (one at least) is whether or not he has dammed actual streams, either permanent or intermittent, or just "rills" or low areas on his property. The 1925 law seems pretty vague and broad though...

Seems a bit heavy handed by the Medford, but, the situation may be that the guy is actually blocking runoff from reaching the main drainage(s).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    This isn't dry-azz Sand Diego up here. Nine months out of the year your footprint goes below the water table. Dig a post hole and you'll have a "man made pond". Anything below ground level is basically "in the water table.

The idea that holes on his property are damaging to the river is laughable at best. Not to mention, the water does eventually flow into the river and does leech into the ground.

The city's case is total bull$%#@ and that's why the best they can get after all this time is a token fine and providing this guy with three hots and a cot for 30 days. I know a guy who did three times that stint for running out of the Plaid Pantry with a bottle of Ripple in his pants. What I'm saying is his "heinous crime" falls somewhere short of shoplifting. It's a bad joke, man.
    Thanks for the additional "on the scene" info. From a geological/hydrological point of view, the fact that Medford is concerned (other than permitting as needed) is silly.

If there is no shortage of water now or foreseeable, geez, they need to lighten up.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast