Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 12:53am

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!

When partner goes harder than you ask

What do?
    This weekend, I was grappling with some of my friends who do BJJ, MMA, and Judo. (Respectively. None of them wrestle though.)

We agreed to stay on our knees and try some light rolling. The only problem is that, for whatever reason, this one dude (MMA) spazzes out and goes super hard, gets to his feet for positioning, and tries muscling his way for an armbar.

After I escaped, we (The other 2 friends and I) asked him to chill out and calm down. Despite saying ok, he continued to muscle his way around with me.

He burned out after like 8 minutes and decided he was too tired to continue rolling. I was able to last through all of my friends because I was trying to focus on NOT muscling. Got tapped out by all of them but the MMA'er though. Which is good, the more you lose, the better you get.

So what do Bullshido? I don't want to just stop rolling with him, because I think the more the merrier, but it's kinda hard to deal with a tryhard when we want to enjoy the rolling. Should I just muscle him back? He doesn't lift, so I'm pretty sure I could toss him around if I wanted to.

Edit: The MMA guy is new to our little rolling clique. Though the clique's only been around for a month.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 7/23/2013 12:57am at .

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 4:11am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like the problem solved itself in this case, he tired himself out and had to quit.

Long-term I think the only solution is experience, noobspaz is a thing that takes time to break.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 5:19am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Sounds like the problem solved itself in this case, he tired himself out and had to quit.

Long-term I think the only solution is experience, noobspaz is a thing that takes time to break.
    THIS ^ Unfortunately.

Until he figures out that there is no "win" when sparring/rolling he will keep spazzing every time he feels like he is getting dominated.

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 8:10am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When this happens I just bide my time. They go hard, you inch to a better position through technique, get the sweep, control them while they lose their minds underneath, tire themselves out, submit them, THEN tell them "hey, something I noticed, and I'm sure you noticed as well, is that you're breathing heavy right now and I'm not, which is why I was able to submit you". Play to their ego, "you're strong, but using strength isn't helping you at the moment", here I normally say something with complete sincerity, "one of the best lessons I ever got when I started BJJ is to remember to breathe, when you remember to breathe you don't waste energy, you'll get submitted more, but you'll learn quicker because your brain will have the oxygen it requires to remember things".

If they keep going hard, I go hard.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 8:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We muscle. Just how we roll. A lot more physical than your average BJJer. But then you get different people bringing different ideas to the table.

If your system is valid it works fine against spazzes.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 10:37am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like it worked itself out. We have some that like to grunt and use muscle more than technique. Even though we say up front that you go as hard as you want to receive, some guys always spaz and you just go on and sub their dumb ass. As long as you continue to work on your technique and not muscle up to match this guy, you will improve and he will eventually either go away or get in line with everyone else.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Let your opponent do anything that is useless."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 1:43pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    When this happens I just bide my time. They go hard, you inch to a better position through technique, get the sweep, control them while they lose their minds underneath, tire themselves out, submit them, THEN tell them "hey, something I noticed, and I'm sure you noticed as well, is that you're breathing heavy right now and I'm not, which is why I was able to submit you"...

If they keep going hard, I go hard.
    I'll try that. Too bad I'm not as good at playing from the bottom, so instead I escape (after his armbar for instance) and get back up to my knees.

I've been taught to flip onto my belly instead of my back which makes sense in the ruleset; however, belly-play makes me feel like I'm missing out on some of the grappling experience.

Edit: In the Wrestling ruleset.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 7/23/2013 1:52pm at .

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 1:52pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think an important thing here though is to make sure the guy learned the lesson that if one of your sparring/rolling partners requests a certain level of intensity, you should respect it 9 times out of 10 (the 10th being if that guy then goes on to jack up the intensity him/herself like a barrel of douche).

If this guy starts establishing a track record of doing it, you might want to mention it to one of the senior students who will then crush the piss and vinegar out of his soul for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 1:58pm

Style: Thai Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the title, the advice I expected to give was "use more lube," but in this case, unless you think he might hurt someone, let him do it. He'll either learn better or gas out too quickly to be a problem for long.

But I'm full of ****. Really, I just wanted to make the lube joke.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast