Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 12:03pm

staff
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sensei Charles at Martial Arts Center of Austin

During the last Austin Throwdown, a highly respected Bullie (Zapruder) and BJJ brownbelt mentioned a local jiu jitsu instructor, Charles, who is employed by the Martial Arts Center of Austin (MACOA). Apparently Charles claims to be a blackbelt in BJJ affiliated with Alliance.

http://www.martialartsofaustin.com/

Zapruder also indicated that Charles answers the phones and teaches jiu jitsu classes at MACOA, but becomes very evasive when asked about his training, experience, and the like, referring the questioner to the bio posted on the school website. There are no bios on the MACOA website. In fact, their website is barren of any actual claims, instructors' names, lineages, backgrounds, etc.

Google reviews from students refer to Sensei Charles as the instructor of "combative science." There are no yelp reviews.

Videos posted on the MACOA site indicate that some of the arts available include kobujutsu, modern sentojutsu, Japanese ju jutsu, aikijujutsu, tai jutsu, and "ne waza." One, uploaded to youtube in 2007, is found here: http://youtu.be/QZI7q4wtlTg

Better grapplers than I can assess their skill with more credibility, but as a bluebelt with five years on the mats, I was not impressed by the two blackbelts doing the no-resistance demonstrations.

I'd be posting screen shots of their whole website here for posterity's sake, except I am on a notbook with a microscopic screen and it's just not worth it at this point. When I get to my office with the big flatscreen I'll do all the screen grabs. Suffice it to say that the website discusses classes available in gi and nogi grappling, submission wrestling, aiki jujutsu, catch wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, and photographs show children and adults competing at NAGA tournaments and adults wearing Brazilian jiu jitsu gis. Their announcement page promotes local Brazilian jiu jitsu tournaments.

As it turns out, I have two friends who take classes here, so I should have some insider info (except I foresee possible issues should I want to attend some classes there "undercover.")

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bjj bb.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	15256

I'm adding this screen shot because I could catch the relevant image -- the guy on top holding kesa gatame is wearing a BJJ gi, though with wrestling shoes, and appears to be wearing a black belt. Could be a JJJ black belt.

Anyway, the investigation begins.
    Head of BJJ Investigations

p.s. I don't have access to the forums from my workplace, so if you have questions please email me directly, georgettejitsu at gmail.com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 9:44pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From their home page

http://www.martialartsofaustin.com/

emphasis is mine

Austin, being the capitol of TX has surely had martial arts influence from back in the 50s to early 60s. Is there any evidence that their claims are fact?

Welcome to the Martial Arts Center of Austin and the official website for the oldest school in Austin. Here you�ll find all of the information to Austin�s #1 dojo. Our training center is proud to offer classes in so many different areas with the highest quality in mind. Unlike other schools that only teach enigmatic styles with ineffective and outdated movements, we offer the most up to date training for both beginner and advanced students for ONE LOW PRICE. We�re absolutely certain that no matter what you�re looking for, you will find it here.
    Again, from their page 'about us' - again the emphasis is mine -

http://www.martialartsofaustin.com/about.htm

Welcome to the oldest Martial Art school in all of Austin, Tx. -- The Martial Arts Center of Austin. We would like to say thank you for stopping by and hope that you enjoy your visit here. This site was created for all seeking information about our amazing programs that all began in 1973.
    Perhaps the school was sold and the current owner started in 1973?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 4:26pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.martialartsofaustin.com/seminars.htm

Perhaps we can find out more information about what a 'devastating spine lock' entails. It sounds horrendous.

Also:
    Were proud to be the ONLY school in Texas that teaches and integrates the Japanese writing system into our martial art curriculum. Thats right! Every student is given the opportunity to learn to read, write and speak Japanese here in our school. Were also the ONLY licensed school in Combative Science in all of central Texas.
    Two weird things about this. Firstly it seems odd [to me] to teach Japanese. Though not entirely unfair; I would love to learn Japanese. Just .. not in a wrestling style class. Secondly "Combative Science" the trademarked phrase. Are they really trying to trademark the term 'Combative Science'?
    Last edited by Ignoscant; 7/28/2013 4:32pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2013 8:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good points all, thank you.

best way to reach me is email: georgettejitsu @Gmail.com

p.s. I don't have access to the forums from my workplace, so if you have questions please email me directly, georgettejitsu at gmail.com

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just called Martial Arts Center of Austin. I claimed to have just moved to the Austin area and was looking for a place to train BJJ.

The person that answered the phone (male) did not reveal his name or anything about himself. I'm not sure who I was speaking with.

When I asked about BJJ instructors, he told they were an Alliance affiliate and he reeled off three separate names, none of which were Charles. One was a 3rd degree BB, and the other two were 1st degree BB's (he claimed).

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 12:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See folks, that's how you do it. New user, first post, already jumping in and participating on an investigation.

This site was set up as a platform for regular people to help clean up the martial arts world; we can only accomplish as much as we all do together.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 1:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CombatYoga, that's awesome. Please feel free to email me, let's coordinate our efforts!

Georgettejitsu@Gmail

Sent from my S4 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a look Alliance affiliates on their website, there were none listed for Austin. The only Texas locations were in Dallas, El Paso, Edinburg, and Spring. Called the (I assume) head location in Dunwoody, GA and left a message to see if they had an affiliate in Austin that hadn't been listed..

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 3:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother pursuing with alliance yet, I'm going to want a full detailed account from Charles first and then a full written denial from alliance, I don't want alliance calling them and tipping my hand :-)

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 3:55pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast