Clueless

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm getting LASEK laser eye surgery!

As there seems to be little around on the topic, I thought I would share my experience with you so you know what you are into!

I am moderately near-sighted with circa -5.5 in both eyes and slight (0.5) astigmatism in one. I do not have other eye problems, worn glasses and contacts since I was seven, had stable vision for more than 5 years.

Quick explanation of the two procedures available:

LASIK: A corneal flap is created (in the past using microkeratome, now more common with femtosecond laser), lifted up and correction performed. The flap is then put back in place and left to heal. The results are immediate, recovery time very fast (few days), almost no post-op discomfort. The problem is, the flap that is created never heals completely - that part of the eye will never be as strong as it was. This leads eventually to a (very remote) danger that a sharp impact to the eye could damage or dislocate the flap in the future. I have checked out some facts and while many sites state that such impact would damage the eye anyway this not always seems the case, see: http://lasikcomplications.com/flapdislocation.htm

LASEK: Instead of creating the flap, the epithelial cells are "softened", usually using an alcohol solution and then brushed aside, surgery performed and the epithelial layer put back in place (in case it is not possible to restore the layer this procedure become the old PRK abrasion)and a bandage contact lens is placed on the eyes. This procedure takes longer to heal; the first two days are usually the hardest and best spent sleeping or resting. As the epithelial layer regrows this will result in fluctuations in vision and can take up to 6 months to have the optimal result. It hurts more, takes longer but once the eye has healed it is as good as it was before and there are no structural weaknesses.

I went for LASEK as few days of discomfort and a bit of time to get the optimal vision is nothing compared to having to worry about a part of your eye being dislocated. Even if it is a very rare occurrence, I prefer to be 100% safe about my eyes, whatever I'm doing. My surgeon agreed that if any kind of contact sport was involved, LASEK was a good idea.

I will be getting my surgery done at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital as private patient. I already had my assessment and was deemed suitable, both the staff and the surgeon were extremely professional and put me through all sorts of test to make sure all angles are covered.

As I have researched this quite a bit feel free to ask any questions.

My surgery is on 31st, I will post updates on how it was and the results, stay tuned!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 5:51am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please keep us updated, this is a procedure I have been considering for a while and I have very similar issues to you (including the astigmatism in one eye) so i would be very interested to know how you recover and feel about the improvements

P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 6:37am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got it 5 years ago and best decision I ever made.

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 7:53am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    I got it 5 years ago and best decision I ever made.
    I've been contemplating it for a while. Where did you go for it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to Lasik MD on Elgin and Queen. Not sure its there anymore, I think it moved.
    Last edited by xstyle; 7/26/2013 2:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With Lasik surgery (which I got) you can only get once or most twice in your life depending on the type of laser. So if your regress as you get older you can't have the surgery anymore because they zap your cornea and there isn't much room to remove more later on. The recovery time is WAY shorter and less painful. I was back to work the next day (office job) just had to wear sunglasses for a while because your eyes will be very sensitive to light (have hallows around bright objects like light bulbs, lamps, sunny windows, for a few months). I heard the other method Lasek (I think its also called wavefront). You can get done many times in your life but the recovery is PAINFUL. Had a close friend get that done and said it was like fireworks going off in his eyes for nearly 2 weeks. Doctors wouldn't give him much for painkillers since they were highly addictive and he was burning though them.

Clueless

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    With Lasik surgery (which I got) you can only get once or most twice in your life depending on the type of laser. So if your regress as you get older you can't have the surgery anymore because they zap your cornea and there isn't much room to remove more later on. The recovery time is WAY shorter and less painful. I was back to work the next day (office job) just had to wear sunglasses for a while because your eyes will be very sensitive to light (have hallows around bright objects like light bulbs, lamps, sunny windows, for a few months). I heard the other method Lasek (I think its also called wavefront). You can get done many times in your life but the recovery is PAINFUL. Had a close friend get that done and said it was like fireworks going off in his eyes for nearly 2 weeks. Doctors wouldn't give him much for painkillers since they were highly addictive and he was burning though them.
    The Wavefront technology is the one used to map your eye to perform the surgery more accurately. As to the recovery times from what I saw its highly subjective, it depends on a lot of factors.
    I for example have increased my vitamin C and Omega 3 uptake as it should speed up healing - hope it works!

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 5:15pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got PRK last year and it's the bomb-diggity snip-snap woot shizzle snaz.

The first two days afterward were miserable, and I had my EMT hands-on exam on the second day. Still passed though; screw you, itchy eyeballs.

Smelling my eyeballs cooking was pretty surreal.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had LASIK about 10 years ago. What stuck in my mind the most was how much more badass than me the chick was who did my surgery. When I walked into the room Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones was playing on the radio. It was still playing when I walked out with refurbished eyeballs.

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 10:45am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked into Lasik a long time ago but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Things have improved quite a bit so maybe I would change my mind now if I did the research.

At any rate, individual success anecdotes don't mean **** - do some research on what the risk factors are, especially for the equipment they are using. It used to be that the risk of worsened night vision was very high, like 25%. Dry eye is another big risk. Beware of the 20/20 percentage claims as there are a number of crappy things you can have such as double vision or spots or whatnot and still be able to read a test chart.

For older guys like me with presbyopia the surgery presents another problem. After surgery, I would still need glasses to read or work on the computer as my eyes like everyone else much over 40 have lost the ability to focus at close distance. Being near sighted I have an advantage - the myopia provides extra power so I can just lift my glasses to read very fine print. So even going for groceries or whatever I would have to cart around reading glasses, and I would wear glasses (a different pair) to work.

In addition to all that, my prospective surgeon straight-up lied to me about certain risks which was a huge red flag about the risks of for-profit surgery.

Anyway, just be thorough in your research. 10 pages of "worked great for me" stories mean nothing, find some stats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast