Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 7:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What Type of Training non MA related do you prioritize?

Hi Everyone

just curious as to what you guys prioritize when you are doing non MA related training e.g. gym, running etc? and what you wanted to achieve from your training?

currently I do a mix of kettlebell full body exercises, squats, cardio intervals and a large amount strengthening my deeper core muscles and training my stabilizer muscles, e.g. rotator cuffs etc

my goal is to mainly strengthen my core power and endurance.

what is everyone elses views? obviously this would probably vary depending on lifestyle, injuries MA's practised etc

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 7:14am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm quite bad/lazy about training outside of MA classes, but I try to cycle between home-work-gym as much as possible.

Back in 2006 when I injured my back I spent a good while focusing on core work, trying to provide extra support to my lumbar region.

In an ideal world I would be doing sprints and something like 5x5 to supplement my training.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 7:32am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight training. (heavy powerlifting/etc.)

Raw strength has the best correlation to H2H success other than actual technical skill.

Stronger dudes hit harder.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 8:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strength training in the form of lower-body powerlifting and upper body proto-gymnastics. Olympic lifts and sprints for power and speed. Mobility work in the form of yoga and prep work for prior elements.

A friend recently mentioned that mixed martial arts (and combat sports in general) are, sometimes, in a way, primarily about producing an amazing athlete. Martial skill is important, but a strong, fast, flexible, well-conditioned athlete is better prepared for success in competition, in fights, and in life. It's been interesting to turn this over in my head.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 10:00am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to combine cardio (in the form of running, cycling and circuit training) with weight training with a focus on the core/arms/shoulders.

I probably do more cardio than most largely be I am also into doing running as an end in itself.

The one thing that I do try to do is to vary what I do rather than do the same old/same old.

I'm quite lucky in that I have a pretty good gym next door to work so I can get there most days and the weekend.

I try to incorporate Vipr/TRX in many of my sessions for an all over fitness perspective.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paddleboarding, cause being in a building all day at work doesn't make me want to spend my time working out in a different building. Plus I get to move myself along using my arms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:38pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Paddleboarding, cause being in a building all day at work doesn't make me want to spend my time working out in a different building. Plus I get to move myself along using my arms.
    I've toyed with the idea of giving paddleboarding a go - I hear it's good for the core - how have you found it?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I've toyed with the idea of giving paddleboarding a go - I hear it's good for the core - how have you found it?
    You plateau far faster than with weights because your bodyweight is fairly constant and as your technique improves you become more efficient (and because you can only paddle so fast).

I'm a land paddler though, so I can make it harder by going uphill. Not possible in water.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swim in the ocean, ride bicycles, hike, surf, paddle, dive etc.
    Most of the stuff isn't working out per se, aside from some bodyweight exercises and some of the swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

I'm a land paddler though, so I can make it harder by going uphill. Not possible in water.

Going up wind on the water sucks balls too.
    You pretty much have to tack like a sailboat.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 1:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cardio conditioning and resistance, amigo!

I don't have access to a gym right now so it's all biking, hiking and calethenics. Not necesarilly in that order.

When I had access to weights they were a huge asset. As Scrapper said, strong guys hit harder.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast