Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 11:27pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!

baskethilts for rattan sticks

Looks like I will be offering a "Filipino Swordsmanship" class aimed at youth at the local rec center in September. And while banged knuckles are pretty much standard for learning FMA, I want to minimize them in my youth class (12-17).

What I am looking for is a slip on guard to go over the hilt of the stick. I have seen several examples in of leather basket hilts for singlestick players like:
    http://www.woodenswords.com/ProductD...=Singlestick-H

Those are nice, but spendy, and I may have mentioned on other threads that I am a cheap bastard.

Actually what I really need is a leather version of this:
    http://www.naamaagassi.com/en/projects/27

I'd order the Branch Holder, but I'm a little concerned about how it will take impact, but the idea to produce it is simple and genius, my kid would love one of those.

Can anyone point in the right direction? Ideally these would be under $20, so I don't break my budget.

thanks,

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 7:55am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thought is you could make some out of a heavy-duty plastic garbage can and a pair of tin snips. The plastic would be flexible enough to easily cut and form, but rigid enough to protect hands.

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 9:14am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good idea Chilipepper, i find home made is the way to go when you teach FMA. I've recently started making my own training blades from PVC pipe. The best part about my blades is i can make any shape to match what i carry.

For the OP, you can check out a "play it again sports" store if they're in your area and get some cheap lacrosse or hockey gloves. I also remember seeing a hand guard that looks like a beer coozy, you slip it on the stick and stick your hand through a hole in the side. There's a thread here on BS about FMA hand protection and there were a lot of good suggestions.

What do you plan on showing the kids? What kind of drills?

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 9:21am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry blind side meant to +rep your post but this damn phone I'm using messed it up. I'll +rep one of your replies too make it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 1:40pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

For the OP, you can check out a "play it again sports" store if they're in your area and get some cheap lacrosse or hockey gloves. I also remember seeing a hand guard that looks like a beer coozy, you slip it on the stick and stick your hand through a hole in the side. There's a thread here on BS about FMA hand protection and there were a lot of good suggestions.

What do you plan on showing the kids? What kind of drills?
    I have been teaching group classes for 5 years now so I have developed a good supply of class gear (lacrosse gloves and fencing masks) but only in adult sizes, so my next expenditure is going to be masks for the kids. I think I had seen that "beer cozy" suggestion before, and was hoping someone could show me where to look for it. Though I will say that I think that installing a D-guard will help people think "sword" and rather than "stick."

My plan is to expose the kids to most of the PTK long blade curriculum with an initial focus on the largo material. Then as we build expertise how to crash to closer quarters.

My adult curriculum has moved away from utilizing any of the sumbrada style box drills, but I am planning on using those for the youth class as a starting point. We will, build the pieces of the sumbrada drill first, then do the drill, later we will deconstruct it to a true free flow.

My plan is for regular sparring with an eventual goal of the kids being able to spar from long distance to a standing grapple position, but with the ok to use the sword at close quarters if it is available. Eventually the weapon categories will include double sword and espada y daga. Emphasis will be on stick as blade.

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    I think I had seen that "beer cozy" suggestion before, and was hoping someone could show me where to look for it.
    http://dogbrothersgear.com/Tools-of-...and-Guard.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 2:58pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Thanks!

.... and off to buy a decently thick plastic garbage can... :D

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you could use some coconut shells, a bandsaw and a large bore drill? Or you could build handguards out of some good sturdy technique.

Posted On:
    7/26/2013 8:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Maybe you could use some coconut shells

Apparently classes will be held on Gilligan's Island.