pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yieldingbamboo View Post
    No need to reinvent anything. Just include established skills; borrow from other arts. Use what works, put it together into one approved curriculum and then let each instructor add what he wants.
    So, MMA?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 3:37pm

Style: TKD, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    I like the idea of knockdowns giving a point or an extra point. It would encourage powerful blows more than they do already. So heavier round kicks and punches etc.

Now the question, hogus or no hogus?

Perhaps a thinner hogu would suffice. The Olympics want to keep their fighters safe. This is a good compromise, because it's still really tough, but you also have some protection so you don't accidentally get an organ destroyed from a nice kick. It might also work for keeping insurance costs down when local tournaments are hosted. Keeps parents interested in allowing their kids to compete too.
    Last edited by yieldingbamboo; 7/27/2013 3:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 3:46pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    So, MMA?
    I'm not sure what your point is. The clinching skills used in MMA come from somewhere, like Muay Thai, boxing, or wrestling. Adding a skill to Taekwondo doesn't make it into an MMA knock off. My goal is to round it out some more so that it becomes viable and reputable as a system that can be used in MMA.
    Last edited by yieldingbamboo; 7/27/2013 3:47pm at . Reason: Addition of a sentence

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 5:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what your point is.
    Yes, you do. Basically, people will be learning MMA without ranking or training in the other arts you'll be describing below.

The clinching skills used in MMA come from somewhere, like Muay Thai, boxing, or wrestling. Adding a skill to Taekwondo doesn't make it into an MMA knock off. My goal is to round it out some more so that it becomes viable and reputable as a system that can be used in MMA.
    Adding multiple skills makes it no longer TKD. Adding clinching will make it TKD with clinching. Adding boxing footwork, MT Knees, Jiujitsu, and TKD will change the style.

Before you lose it, there is nothing wrong with that at all, but you'll end up being told it isn't TKD.

MMA is basically becoming a style in and of itself. There's a huge thread arguing this somewhere on bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 10:04pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is fair to say that most martial arts try to progress and research new ways or ideas into their art. It does not necessarily not make it the same art anymore. if TKD allows more face punching (and TKD has every punch boxing does) some boxing footwork could come to play. That does not mean it isnt TKD anymore. TKD already has a lot of footwork anyway.

Also within the poomsae there are some clinch-like moves. Taekwondo ho shin sool also has grabbing and locking techniques.

Anyway I do not think the WTF should put ground grappling in the new rules. Maybe some stand up clinching and allowing people to shove would be cool. They already changed the "no pushing ever" rule to "okay you can push as long as you have closed fists."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 10:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, you do. Basically, people will be learning MMA without ranking or training in the other arts you'll be describing below.

Adding multiple skills makes it no longer TKD. Adding clinching will make it TKD with clinching. Adding boxing footwork, MT Knees, Jiujitsu, and TKD will change the style.

Before you lose it, there is nothing wrong with that at all, but you'll end up being told it isn't TKD.

MMA is basically becoming a style in and of itself. There's a huge thread arguing this somewhere on bullshido.
    Hapkido and Yudo techniques have historically been integral to the Taekwondo curriculum of many masters. Say if students who learned these techniques and then turn around and teach them without certification in either Yudo or Hapkido, just certification in TKD -- then what are they teaching? Personally I'd say they're teaching their master's TKD.

I don't disagree that MMA is quickly becoming a style of itself. I agree fully. It has its own favored techniques, sports culture, strategies, and training type.

I'm not going to lose it just because you disagree. Looking at how leg checks and leg kicks and knee strikes and elbow strikes and face punches are all technically in the Kukkiwon curriculum, I don't think much borrowing needs necessarily to take place. Taekwondo won't have to change as much as it will have to return to its roots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 1:44pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't disagree that MMA is quickly becoming a style of itself. I agree fully. It has its own favored techniques, sports culture, strategies, and training type.

I
    Ya well tell that to some Alabama MMA gyms who have masters who are 3rd degree black belts in MMA!!!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    They should just adopt Sanda Rules if they want to stay relevant. (TKD Black belt so it's cool if I post here right?)
    Going off your idea here, a good compromise, which may attract more spectators and keep the tradition, is to perhaps combine it with Taekkyon, where there are throws and sweeps.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what your point is. The clinching skills used in MMA come from somewhere, like Muay Thai, boxing, or wrestling.
    Muay thai, boxing or wrestling is where those MMA coaches learn those skills.
    Adding a skill to Taekwondo doesn't make it into an MMA knock off.
    It does if they aren't qualified to teach those skills and base their authority on their TKD black belt.
    My goal is to round it out some more so that it becomes viable and reputable as a system that can be used in MMA.
    Would you still include the forms and chambered punches and stuff? Could you teach the new stuff AND the old stuff in the same amount of time, and should you?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123