Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hapkido, Taekkyeon, Kuk Sool etc kicks

A somewhat generic Korean MA question for this form

I recently picked up this book called 'Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique' by Marc Tedeschi. It's a massive book with over 2000 photos and step by step guides on techniques. Being in a Booj background who currently trains Karate and Judo, a lot of these techniques are familiar or similar to things I've seen before with little variants but I have another question regarding the kicks of Korean styles.

Does Hapkido contain most the kicks of other styles of KMA like Kuk Sool, Taekkyeon, Taekwondo etc.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Does Hapkido contain most the kicks of other styles of KMA like Kuk Sool, Taekkyeon, Taekwondo etc.
    My understanding of it was that the kicking from Hapkido was largely pulled from Taekwondo and added into the curriculum later on in Hapkido's development.

In Korea Kuk Sool Won is a Hapkido organization so, to say that Hapkido incorporated kicking from Hapkido wouldn't really make any sense. I understand that outside of Korea there is a grafted on made up history that it rolls with, but inside the RoK it's definitely style of Hapkido.

Taekkyeon is more of a folk sport along with Ssireum than it is a self-defense system or martial art.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    My understanding of it was that the kicking from Hapkido was largely pulled from Taekwondo and added into the curriculum later on in Hapkido's development.

In Korea Kuk Sool Won is a Hapkido organization so, to say that Hapkido incorporated kicking from Hapkido wouldn't really make any sense. I understand that outside of Korea there is a grafted on made up history that it rolls with, but inside the RoK it's definitely style of Hapkido.

Taekkyeon is more of a folk sport along with Ssireum than it is a self-defense system or martial art.
    So really the kicks are all pretty much the same?

Interesting you say that about KuK Sool because I seem to find differing accounts of its history going back since its founding, ranging from tribal arts, the royal court, daito ryu being the most bizarre one, and even a family style made public

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    So really the kicks are all pretty much the same?

Interesting you say that about KuK Sool because I seem to find differing accounts of its history going back since its founding, ranging from tribal arts, the royal court, daito ryu being the most bizarre one, and even a family style made public
    The head of KSW in the U.S. (based in Texas) InHyuk Seo spread the idea that it's some ancient royal court martial art of Korea, but his brother InSun Seo who heads KSW in Korea has said his brother is full of **** and that both of them were early students of Yougsul Choi of Hapkido fame. In Korea it has never distanced itself for the Hapkido bodies and it's taught as a unique school of Hapkido, but still Hapkido. It's a pretty popular school in Korea overall. I believe there are some similar issues with Hwarang Do where the two original heads of the art disagree wildly on the origin of what they learned.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    The head of KSW in the U.S. (based in Texas) InHyuk Seo spread the idea that it's some ancient royal court martial art of Korea, but his brother InSun Seo who heads KSW in Korea has said his brother is full of **** and that both of them were early students of Yougsul Choi of Hapkido fame. In Korea it has never distanced itself for the Hapkido bodies and it's taught as a unique school of Hapkido, but still Hapkido. It's a pretty popular school in Korea overall. I believe there are some similar issues with Hwarang Do where the two original heads of the art disagree wildly on the origin of what they learned.
    most likely down to the nationalism and anti-japanese influence denial causing wild stories of arts going back millenia?