Style
    AMAI TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Point System for Rank Advancement

Having been in TKD for 21 years I'm used to having pass/fail rank tests. The academy usually has regular rank tests scattered throughout the year.

I've also been in BJJ for around 6 years. From what I've seen, it is pretty much a "merit" system. You get promoted when the Professor feels you are ready. Maybe there is a test. Maybe you've won some competitions.

There is a local BJJ school in the Twin Cities that holds monthly reviews. The students get together, are paired off by rank/weight, and record the results of their matches. Students doing well earn stripes/belts. I've been playing with this concept, this "point" system in my head.

Does anyone know of a "traditional" school that runs rank advancement like this? Instead of a pass/fail test each belt (and perhaps stripes in a belt) is assigned a point value. Every month a student demonstrates their Forms, One-steps, Self-Defense, Sparring, Board Breaking, etc. to earn points towards promotion.

Style
    Jacket wrestling

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Yeah, judo point systems get fairly complex in the US. Points for reffing, points for competition (just showing up, and/or winning, the rank of who you beat, how you beat them, etc). Competition track vs non competition...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Canada, you need the points to be able to test. You still have to take the test. Plus we don't do it for mudansha.

Style
    AMAI TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo. Good catch. Thanks guys.