Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hapkido, Taekkyeon, Kuk Sool etc kicks

A somewhat generic Korean MA question for this form

I recently picked up this book called 'Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique' by Marc Tedeschi. It's a massive book with over 2000 photos and step by step guides on techniques. Being in a Booj background who currently trains Karate and Judo, a lot of these techniques are familiar or similar to things I've seen before with little variants but I have another question regarding the kicks of Korean styles.

Does Hapkido contain most the kicks of other styles of KMA like Kuk Sool, Taekkyeon, Taekwondo etc.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Does Hapkido contain most the kicks of other styles of KMA like Kuk Sool, Taekkyeon, Taekwondo etc.
    My understanding of it was that the kicking from Hapkido was largely pulled from Taekwondo and added into the curriculum later on in Hapkido's development.

In Korea Kuk Sool Won is a Hapkido organization so, to say that Hapkido incorporated kicking from Hapkido wouldn't really make any sense. I understand that outside of Korea there is a grafted on made up history that it rolls with, but inside the RoK it's definitely style of Hapkido.

Taekkyeon is more of a folk sport along with Ssireum than it is a self-defense system or martial art.

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    My understanding of it was that the kicking from Hapkido was largely pulled from Taekwondo and added into the curriculum later on in Hapkido's development.

In Korea Kuk Sool Won is a Hapkido organization so, to say that Hapkido incorporated kicking from Hapkido wouldn't really make any sense. I understand that outside of Korea there is a grafted on made up history that it rolls with, but inside the RoK it's definitely style of Hapkido.

Taekkyeon is more of a folk sport along with Ssireum than it is a self-defense system or martial art.
    So really the kicks are all pretty much the same?

Interesting you say that about KuK Sool because I seem to find differing accounts of its history going back since its founding, ranging from tribal arts, the royal court, daito ryu being the most bizarre one, and even a family style made public

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So really the kicks are all pretty much the same?

Interesting you say that about KuK Sool because I seem to find differing accounts of its history going back since its founding, ranging from tribal arts, the royal court, daito ryu being the most bizarre one, and even a family style made public
    The head of KSW in the U.S. (based in Texas) InHyuk Seo spread the idea that it's some ancient royal court martial art of Korea, but his brother InSun Seo who heads KSW in Korea has said his brother is full of **** and that both of them were early students of Yougsul Choi of Hapkido fame. In Korea it has never distanced itself for the Hapkido bodies and it's taught as a unique school of Hapkido, but still Hapkido. It's a pretty popular school in Korea overall. I believe there are some similar issues with Hwarang Do where the two original heads of the art disagree wildly on the origin of what they learned.

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    The head of KSW in the U.S. (based in Texas) InHyuk Seo spread the idea that it's some ancient royal court martial art of Korea, but his brother InSun Seo who heads KSW in Korea has said his brother is full of **** and that both of them were early students of Yougsul Choi of Hapkido fame. In Korea it has never distanced itself for the Hapkido bodies and it's taught as a unique school of Hapkido, but still Hapkido. It's a pretty popular school in Korea overall. I believe there are some similar issues with Hwarang Do where the two original heads of the art disagree wildly on the origin of what they learned.
    most likely down to the nationalism and anti-japanese influence denial causing wild stories of arts going back millenia?

Style
    Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A somewhat generic Korean MA question for this form

I recently picked up this book called 'Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique' by Marc Tedeschi. It's a massive book with over 2000 photos and step by step guides on techniques. Being in a Booj background who currently trains Karate and Judo, a lot of these techniques are familiar or similar to things I've seen before with little variants but I have another question regarding the kicks of Korean styles.

First, KMA such as Kooksulwon and Hwarangdo started their roots in Hapkido, so they got their kicks from Hapkido instead of the other way around. As I understand it GM Ji Ha Jae, implemented many of the kicks that you see in Hapkido that he learned from his studies in Taekkyon (Note: there is controversy as to whether or not he actually learned Taekkyon, a different thread all together). Also, from what I understand, many TKD kicks come from HKD and not the other way around. You have to keep in mind that TKD's roots are mostly in Shotokan, with some coming from Shudokan and a little Chuanfa. These arts did not have a huge kicking curriculum.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Style
    Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    First, KMA such as Kooksulwon and Hwarangdo started their roots in Hapkido, so they got their kicks from Hapkido instead of the other way around. As I understand it GM Ji Ha Jae, implemented many of the kicks that you see in Hapkido that he learned from his studies in Taekkyon (Note: there is controversy as to whether or not he actually learned Taekkyon, a different thread all together). Also, from what I understand, many TKD kicks come from HKD and not the other way around. You have to keep in mind that TKD's roots are mostly in Shotokan, with some coming from Shudokan and a little Chuanfa. These arts did not have a huge kicking curriculum.
    Where do you see the kicks in Soo Bahk Do (or Tang Soo Do for that matter) in this? the Taekkyon story is certainly one I was told regarding Hwang Kee when I was studying SBD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were no kicks in Hapkido originally. TKD took its kicks from SHOTOKAN. Shotokan does have aerial kicks as well. Just watch old clips on youtube and you will find flying sidekicks performed by Japanese shotokan karatekas

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    There were no kicks in Hapkido originally. TKD took its kicks from SHOTOKAN. Shotokan does have aerial kicks as well. Just watch old clips on youtube and you will find flying sidekicks performed by Japanese shotokan karatekas
    citation needed
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    citation needed
    This is a clip from Akira Kurosawa's "Sanshiro Sugata", a movie released in 1943, depicting the final battle between the hero (Judo guy) and the antagonist (Karate guy).

The karate guy uses plenty of flying side kicks, perhaps because they are more showy (although relative to our modern tastes, this fight looks pretty low key).

So evidently the Japanese in 1943 did associate karate with flying kicks.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last