Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 7:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post

Now I have a lot of respect for Judo and am blaming this on 2 factors, as I can't help but gaff it off now in the back of my mind after this. There's a fella in town known for being kind of a wanker with drink in him, and he's a Judo black belt. I had a few people back to my house one night, and when I mentioned I did a bit of MMA he kept insisting on 'going at it' a bit. To humour him I did and the guy put himself in a standing guillotine diving at me with his head down. You know how hurt egos kill a party, so when I tried laughing it off to go back to drinking he made a few people uncomfortable insisting on 'going at it' again, so when we did he threw a couple elbows at me, so I double legged him and dumped him on his side. He shut up after that holding his arms which swelled up, and next I saw him a couple weeks later at a Halloween party at the bar he was in a cast with a broken arm. I was just baffled how a Judo black belt couldn't breakfall when put in an unexpected situation....so I'm hoping it was because he trained at a **** gym.....
    You know what? I always find these posts interesting.

Alcohol consumption makes anyone of any skill lose their ****. Yet, people will still use the rank, skill, or higher education appeal to make a point. Notice how the alcohol made you laugh off a situation where someone was hurt? He broke his arm and you kept drinking. Alcohol made you both act like idiots and doesn't reflect properly on the effectiveness or lack in any art. So, basically a party, drinking, ego and general stupidity makes you hope the gym was shitty/

Another is I've rolled with another Judo black belt in the gym. Now I only know standard chokes&locks that my BJJ mates show me on the side, but I was able to primarily rely on wrestling to get me in positions where I was able to use them. To be fair I'm 6'1 and about 210 l.b.s., and that guys was stocky but his head came to my shoulders. In a self defence situation I'm going to say it depends at how good they are at what they do, and height and weight do come into factor.
    When I was training regularly, I can't tell you how many "lower belts" got the "best of me." Why? I'm there to teach, instruct, assist and expand your knowledge. I am not there to beat your ass for the satisfaction of my ego. It's funny how ego makes you see this in the "judo doesn't work" light and I bet the BB might have a completely different story.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 8:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2013 7:17am

Style: Sekkyoku Tai Jutsu/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You know what? I always find these posts interesting.

Alcohol consumption makes anyone of any skill lose their ****. Yet, people will still use the rank, skill, or higher education appeal to make a point. Notice how the alcohol made you laugh off a situation where someone was hurt? He broke his arm and you kept drinking. Alcohol made you both act like idiots and doesn't reflect properly on the effectiveness or lack in any art. So, basically a party, drinking, ego and general stupidity makes you hope the gym was shitty/
    He wasn't hurt at the time I tried laughing it off. That was when he was getting a bit serious and I was trying to lighten the mood. We did as you say though carry on drinking after he was hurt which probably wasn't the best behaviour, but he was at least humble then and we didn't know it was actually broke at the time.....that guy does have a reputation for being a huge dick and using his Judo around town which people said to me later were glad that that happened. The big mistake was allowing him back to my house in the 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    When I was training regularly, I can't tell you how many "lower belts" got the "best of me." Why? I'm there to teach, instruct, assist and expand your knowledge. I am not there to beat your ass for the satisfaction of my ego. It's funny how ego makes you see this in the "judo doesn't work" light and I bet the BB might have a completely different story.
    Sorry I intended to make that post express that size and strength do come into play instead of an art&rank comparison. Since we're talking about Judo that was just an incident that came into mind. I understand as I've had big former Rugby guys and such only at it for a few months come in and throw me like a ragdoll. Not that I'm anything special, but in a scenario in experience size&strength just happened to be a factor.

Posted On:
    8/16/2013 2:33pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo + Some practice in Single and Double Leg Variations = Beautiful

Really no reason to create a divide between Judo and Wrestling. Both are outstanding skills to have.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456