Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 11:07am

Style: MMA,scjj,judo,some tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive offered to roll, and have mentioned coming down to see what it really is. But all hell say is im bigger than him, which to me already proves wrestling to be lesser as a form of self defense. Because its mostly based off pure strength rather than technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 11:11am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmma View Post
    But all hell say is im bigger than him, which to me already proves wrestling to be lesser as a form of self defense. Because its mostly based off pure strength rather than technique.
    Maybe try being less polarized and approach it from a logical perspective... Wrestling isn't based off pure strength, its about manipulation of balance and angles of attack just like Judo. Size and strength counts in every kind of fight, Judo has weight classes dude.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 11:57am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried pointing out that judo is basically the same thing as wrestling?

Ive offered to roll, and have mentioned coming down to see what it really is. But all hell say is im bigger than him, [...]

The point isn't to beat him the point is that he will see that judo is trained pretty much the same way as wrestling, and that it is not kata based as you say he thinks.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 7/22/2013 12:03pm at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 12:30pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fundamental concepts (and many techniques) in both judo and wrestling are nearly identical.

Ever wonder why?
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 12:43pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I started judo it was pretty easy to translate many of my wrestling techniques over, and even now when we do no gi randori I shoot for singles and doubles way more then I do any pure judo throws. The two arts are very similar and as someone whos done both I can not say that one is better then the other.

Both teach very effective techniques that would definitly give an edge in a self defense situation.

As far as getting your point across to your relatives goes, the only real way would be to either show some good comp vids or get them to come to a class. Us wrestlers can be notoriously stubborn.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me, the principal difference between wrestling and judo re: self defense application is the presence vs absence of strangulation techniques. Given the documented effectiveness of strangulation as a means of ending confrontations, I would favor judo for that reason.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive offered to roll, and have mentioned coming down to see what it really is. But all hell say is im bigger than him, which to me already proves wrestling to be lesser as a form of self defense. Because its mostly based off pure strength rather than technique.
    If they just want to talk it up, maybe save your breath for training

Or go try out wrestling, it can't hurt your skillset

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MTripp used to say on here all the time, "Judo is wrestling with a jacket". I defer to him on those matters, but I do agree with him.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 1:41pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call it a tie. I'd give the edge to Wrestling for the initial throws since none of the wrestling throws use clothing/gi whereas some Judo throws do. I'd give the edge to Judo on the ground since wrestlers just basically roll you onto your back and lie on you whereas Judo also has strangles and joint locks.

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    I call it a tie. I'd give the edge to Wrestling for the initial throws since none of the wrestling throws use clothing/gi whereas some Judo throws do.
    Wrestling in summer, judo in winter
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast