Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Defendor- Woody Harrelson plays a mentally handicapped man who dons the superhero guise of "Defendor" in order to track down and exert justice on the non-existent Captain Industry, a villain whom Defendor blames for the death of his mother. Harrelson's performance is simply bonerific, and the highlight of the film.

Yellowbrickroad- During the Great Depression, an entire New Hampshire town disappeared into the wilderness after watching The Wizard of Oz. A search party later found all 300 residents either frozen to death or slaughtered. In the vein of The Blair Witch Project (Minus the found footage gimmick), a 2008 expedition team attempts to investigate the unmapped path the villagers took to their deaths.

Spoilers: The wonky acting early on in the film might be a turn off for some, but just wait until the music starts. There were no monsters or roving battalions of rapists lurking in the woods, just a never-ending song emanating from seemingly nowhere. The wildermess is endless and devours the crew, leaving them hopelessly lost days into their journey. I found it interesting how a simple distraction quickly began to erode their ability to think and function, resulting in a lot of decisions based on impulse and satisfaction of sensual pleasures. Several campers, for instance, eat poison berries to get high and numb their mind to the music. And naturally, everyone ends up killing each other and committing suicide and what not.

A lot people don't seem to like this movie, and it's understandable. Not only does the film rely on virtually 100% atomosphere for its horror, but it has a premise that simply doesn't leave room for a satisfying ending (Or at least an ending capable of explaining the preceding events). The movie's really about what happens to the campers rather than how.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 5:01am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got bored with Yellowbrick Road quite quickly.

A better film is Resolution

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 1:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Defendor- Woody Harrelson plays a mentally handicapped man who dons the superhero guise of "Defendor" in order to track down and exert justice on the non-existent Captain Industry, a villain whom Defendor blames for the death of his mother. Harrelson's performance is simply bonerific, and the highlight of the film.
    Good call. I was passing through Hamilton, Canada, when they were filming this. Though I got a pass for the premiere, I'd gladly pay full price to see it again.

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit I need to check this thread before I waste another day off. I'd be embarrassed to say what I was watching yesterday.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 7:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mud (2013)

This is a coming of age movie, but with a twist. You see a young boy getting his first crush juxtaposed against a grown man never getting over one. The end is a problem and ridiculous, but the man, woman, boy, girl life interaction is pretty damn good. It's one of the few movies that actually put women in a bad light and doesn't give them an easy out. That part of the movie surprised me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 10:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat Shock

A sexy, upbeat romantic comedy from 2006.

Boy Wonder

A vigilante film with obvious inspirations from Batman. The kid beats a hobo to death with brass knuckles on a subway.

Vulgar

A clown gets raped by three people.

Posted On:
    11/22/2013 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post

A clown gets raped by three people...
    ...and yet still has a big red smile. Must be Vancouver.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2013 6:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    ...and yet still has a big red smile. Must be Vancouver.
    The trailer is actualy incredibly misleading. I think that was done on purpose just to **** with people.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/22/2013 8:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daybreakers (2010)

Yes, a Vampire movie. It's actually decent, not great but fun. Basically, Vampires rule the world and humans are rebels. Any caught are used, obviously, as a food source. Problem is, it's the future, the supply is running out and there is an issue with the the biggest blood supplying company in the world.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 10:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I finally decided to snuff a vial of pain thinner and watch this. It turned out to be surprisingly watchable for a Happy Madison flick. It's by-the-numbers as Hell, but is at least tolerable and has a few genuine chuckles spread throughout. You get to see some nice cleavage from Salma Hayek, and Bas basically plays himself (At one point he does a reenactment of his famed self-defense video in the form of an aerobics class). There are also loads of MMA references for the fans to catch, some of which are impressively obscure. The funniest moments for me, though, are the parts where they had to fudge certain facets of how the sport works in order to make the movie accessible to a general audience. For example, Kevin James ends up fighting in the UFC after being scouted by Joe Rogan and Wanderlei Silva.

One thing about the film that really stands out to me, and prompted me to make this post, is that some of the fight scenes are actually pretty damn remarkable. Maybe I haven't watched enough recent action and sports films, and maybe my expectations were just really low, but I was actually really impressed by some of the MMA fights. The first round of the final fight, where Kevin James is getting his ass kicked by Krzysztof Soszynski, feels almost like a less visceral MMA version of a Raging Bull fight scene.

Edit: I'd just like to close by saying that the movie is alright for what it is. It would've been great, though, if the Fonz had been the one fighting instead of Kevin James.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 1/04/2014 10:16pm at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast