Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2013 3:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    I may have passed on good cinema because of my hate of shaky-cam, found footage films.
    Only a select few, most are trash.

In that vein though here is another one:
    Chronicle (2012)

This starts off as a typical nerd/ostracized teen who gets accepted then screws it all up.The quality really was a surprise. The initial trailers were fun and smart. Any time someone is getting hit by a bus, while flying, my interest is piqued. You'll see elements of Carrie, any party movie and teen angst. What made it enjoyable, for me at any rate, was the fact the teens received powers and acted like complete idiots. Sorry, most kids aren't going to be Spider-Man or Batman. These teens acted like teenagers.

Also, after seeing Man of Steel, I actually have a greater appreciation of the graphics in this movie. I mean, for such a low budget movie, the CGI actually looked better than a movie with a 200 million dollar budget at times.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/06/2013 5:36pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 5:48pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I know this is Disney, but this was actually a ton of fun.
    John Carter (2012)

The marketing for this was so bad, you could tell the studio head at the time wanted nothing to do with the previous president. I had no desire to see the movies. I never read the books, didn't have a desire to and I am a Sci-Fi fan. My friend [ut it best, "This should have been the first movie in the new Star Wars Trilogy." I thought he was full of ****. I actually want a sequel to this movie. Basically, a man who has lost everything in life gets teleported to Mars and helps with a rebellion. The violence in this was shocking for a Disney branded film. Yes, I know it is Alien blood, but there are massacres throughout this movie. Also there is slavery, a caste system and did I mention blood? They even have this terrible creature:

You know how shitty this fucker was?

The dog from John Carter was perfect. He was only there when absolutely necessary, had a few scenes and was gone. I was prepared to hate the movie for this forced kid friendly character. Turned out he was awesome. No one would hate JJB, if he was used properly like this dog.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks IIF that's 3 films I likely wouldn't have bothered with on face value, there are not enough sci-fi films made.

Going to check out Elysium soon although I hear it's no District9 it looks half decent.

Sent from my fucking self important phone using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 6:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post

Going to check out Elysium soon although I hear it's no District9 it looks half decent.
    I liked it, but it isn't as subtle with its political and societal disses as D9. I think that's why it is getting no love. This year suuuuuuuuucked concerning movies. It's sad when World War Z and This is the End are in my top 5 movies for the year. Yes, above Star Trek and Man of Steel, both of which started off great and then fell into the forced twist unoriginal plot trap.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to like Troll Hunter, but its pacing and found-footage format made it kinda tedious before they even started showing trolls.

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 12:27am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really rate Chronicle as well, I got a distinct Akira vibe from it in the last few scenes.

It was indeed an fx triumph considering its budget and a lot of that had to do with its masterful editing. The pace was irregular and by having massive and often sudden cuts in narrative the film was actually a very neat package where most found footage films out there at too bloated and often frustrating to watch just becomes of their nature as 'pure' footage.

And yeah, the pranks the boys pull when they lean of their powers are pretty bloody funny!

Edit: good poster campaign as well. Less is more, which almost never happens in cinema these days.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 4:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I liked it, but it isn't as subtle with its political and societal disses as D9. I think that's why it is getting no love. This year suuuuuuuuucked concerning movies. It's sad when World War Z and This is the End are in my top 5 movies for the year. Yes, above Star Trek and Man of Steel, both of which started off great and then fell into the forced twist unoriginal plot trap.
    That's what I heard about Elysium, looking forward to seeing it today.

Really enjoyed the latest Star Trek, thought it was good popcorn sci-fi although the ending really was awkward and clumsy.

Somethings stopping me watching WW-Z... Maybe just that I only recently read the book.

Sent from my C5303 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 4:12am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, Star Trek was Transformers 2 with an end equal to Devastator having balls. Two movies with Spock ruining Kirk's career and suddenly they are BFFs? I can suspend belief until you shoot laser at light speed.
    Stale popcorn at best.

You'll hate World War Z if you read the book. I didn't, but everyone that has is not happy with the movie.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 4:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With Star Trek I wasn't focusing so much on the character narrative just the light show and the puns, I guess that adds weight to your opinion. WWZ. I found the book a worthy effort but just a bit slow and while composed of different voices too monotonal. When I've let my " but in the book! " prejudice die down I'll check the movie.

Sent from my R2 Unit using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 3:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    With Star Trek I wasn't focusing so much on the character narrative just the light show and the puns, I guess that adds weight to your opinion.
    See, that also killed me. The puns were weak to me.

Primer (2004)

For some reason, this was re-released at our local art-house theater.

This is the most confusingly awesome time travel movie I have watched. Two guys build a machine, that actually makes sense in its complexity. As the movie progresses, alternate time lines cross, the friends turn against each other and the ending is complicated. It is like 12 Monkeys in so much that if you miss anything, you'll be thoroughly confused.

Minus the fun of Time Bandits this is in my top 5 time travel movies. 12 Monkeys is my favorite.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast