Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 3:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here are some movies you probably missed

So, over the last few years I've been seeing a ton of movies. My good friend works at a theater. I never had the time due to work and my kids schedule. Finally, after gaining enough seniority, I was able to hold a shift that gave me a weekend day off. I went to see a movie with my friend and had no clue it was free for him and buddy. Since 2010 a see well over 100 movies a year.

Well, I have been going nuts. I see movies that I wouldn't give the time of day and the typical summer blockbusters. Well, one of the interesting things is we tend to see many art-house, indie and documentaries. I agree that mainstream Hollywood is terrible, but there are some awesome Ideas out in the art-house realm.

I'm not going to do full on reviews because I've burned out on purposeful writing for now. It's slowly coming back, but not right now.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/20/2013 3:30pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 3:28pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coriolanus (2011)

This movie surprised the hell out of me. I knew it was a Shakespearean play. Fortunately, I never read the play. I HATE Shakespeare. I hate reading it, watching it, analyzing it and writing about any of his plays. Trust me, I know. A guy with an English Degree, with a lit heavy background, hates Shakespeare? Irony. This is one, of a few plays, I have zero experience with in my decades of college andhigh school education. This is about the rise and fall of a great fighter, who ascends the ranks and then has the typical tragic fall. Still, as much as that is cliched for Shakespearean plays, the modern setting breathes life into this story. Yes, they still use the classic language, but it works.

Gerard Butler, if you sit down with your wife, is in the movie for eye candy.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/20/2013 9:20pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2013 9:44pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trollhunter (2010)
    Found footage movies irritate me. They are over used and everyone is trying to be the next Paranormal Activity, which was really the next Blair Witch.

This is in a similar vein, but it has TROLLS! Basically, some students hassle a man who allegedly believes in trolls. They think it is a joke, until they wind up in the forest. It appears cheesy, but it is actually well done. There are quite a few surprises and the CGI is well done.

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 3:02am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trollhunter was a massive surprise, I was expecting much, much worse. In fact, I loved it more than any other "found footage" movie I've seen. I actually like the idea of found footage films, and when Blair Witch was released all those years ago I was fully on the band wagon, but even that let me down. Trollhunter did not let me down at all.

Coriolanus was a massive surprise in that I didn't like it. The trailer gave me a hard on, I don't mind Shakespeare, I actually like the idea of modernising the time period and while I could do without the incessant analysis that occurred in high school, I understand the prose. Which is why I found it odd that I couldn't get more than 3/4 of the way through it before deciding I'd had enough.
    Last edited by battlefields; 8/04/2013 3:12am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 8:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)

This will be hit or miss for some people. Basically, it is another retelling of Santa, but this time he has been sealed away. It starts off similar to The Thing (1982). Company is drilling in Ice and discovers something ancient. The difference, it is told from the perspective of a father, a son and a family friend.

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 8:39pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Coriolanus (2011)

This movie surprised the hell out of me. I knew it was a Shakespearean play. Fortunately, I never read the play. I HATE Shakespeare. I hate reading it, watching it, analyzing it and writing about any of his plays. Trust me, I know. A guy with an English Degree, with a lit heavy background, hates Shakespeare? Irony. This is one, of a few plays, I have zero experience with in my decades of college andhigh school education. This is about the rise and fall of a great fighter, who ascends the ranks and then has the typical tragic fall. Still, as much as that is cliched for Shakespearean plays, the modern setting breathes life into this story. Yes, they still use the classic language, but it works.

Gerard Butler, if you sit down with your wife, is in the movie for eye candy.
    I watched 30 minutes of this and had to go do something else. It looked fantastic.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Trollhunter (2010)
    Found footage movies irritate me. They are over used and everyone is trying to be the next Paranormal Activity, which was really the next Blair Witch.

This is in a similar vein, but it has TROLLS! Basically, some students hassle a man who allegedly believes in trolls. They think it is a joke, until they wind up in the forest. It appears cheesy, but it is actually well done. There are quite a few surprises and the CGI is well done.
    I watched this with my kids and wife who normally doesn't watch movies with us. It was on netflix and I just clicked on it because I was board. Next thing you know, the whole family was into it. I liked it, and normally don't go for those types of movies.

Bad side: Now I can't convince my kids that trolls are fake.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread reminds me of that meme/game where you restate films' plots as one-liners that create idiom-like contradictions. Give us more, IiF!

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 8:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They did a good job with the trolls.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Bad side: Now I can't convince my kids that trolls are fake.
    Good side: you can tell your kids to straighten the **** up, or you'll let the trolls in their room at night.

Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This thread reminds me of that meme/game where you restate films' plots as one-liners that create idiom-like contradictions. Give us more, IiF!
    Wizard of Oz: An immigrant kills the first person she meets in her new land, and assembles a band of misfits to kill again.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast