Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 4:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Clubs around the Manchester Area, England

Hi Guys,

anyone know of any good judo clubs around the Manchester area?

Thanks in advance

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 5:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Urmston

http://urmstonjudo.co.uk/

or the late Hosaka sensei's club in Sale

http://www.salejudo.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks :) for the response, I actually managed to locate a decent bjj club locally so think I'll Give this a go then try judo and see which I prefer

Clueless

Posted On:
    7/24/2013 10:33am

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll hijack this!

After 4 years of Aikido I'm looking to start Judo, probably twice a week: both clubs are at a similar distance from where I live, any preference/suggestions on which one to choose?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2013 11:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which area are you in? I can't see as this is off ny phone

P.s how is aikido? I thought may try that also at some point

Sent from my HTC One using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Clueless

Posted On:
    7/24/2013 11:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post
    Which area are you in? I can't see as this is off ny phone

P.s how is aikido? I thought may try that also at some point

Sent from my HTC One using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    I live in Whalley Range so it is a quick bike ride to both of them.

Aikido? Mostly dead :) It has value but has been watered down and stripped of any martial content, it is very hard to find a dojo that teaches in a useful way. Can be fun if you find a good teacher and have other MA background, the joint locks if done properly hurt as hell - but lots of stuff can be found also somewhere else and the system has evident "holes" (very little striking emphasis, no leg sweeps, few throws, no choking, no ground work). I have been practicing for 4 years and honestly feel like could have spent time better - learned some useful things but wouldn't define it a real MA. Also, the weapons part, if teached at all, is mostly crap consisting of poorly executed Kata.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 6:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargor View Post
    I live in Whalley Range so it is a quick bike ride to both of them.

Aikido? Mostly dead :) It has value but has been watered down and stripped of any martial content, it is very hard to find a dojo that teaches in a useful way. Can be fun if you find a good teacher and have other MA background, the joint locks if done properly hurt as hell - but lots of stuff can be found also somewhere else and the system has evident "holes" (very little striking emphasis, no leg sweeps, few throws, no choking, no ground work). I have been practicing for 4 years and honestly feel like could have spent time better - learned some useful things but wouldn't define it a real MA. Also, the weapons part, if teached at all, is mostly crap consisting of poorly executed Kata.
    haha fair enough, I actually tried a class last night - my first aikido class ever. I can see how it has its flaws, for example i found a lot of the defences from grabs were strange, as they rely on the attacker keeping a hold of the arm while the movement is happening, which in reality probably wouldn't happen - i know i would just let go making the technique void. Having said that, the actual way they move would be good to apply if you practised other martial arts. I also think the learning curve is massive with that style as in the blackbelts would probably handle themselves fairly well but the less experienced might struggle, just my opinion I may be wrong, also it was only my first class, those were just observations from that and i might be completely wrong.

I reckon next I'm going to try the urmston club above that was recommended to compliment my BJJ

Clueless

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 9:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post
    haha fair enough, I actually tried a class last night - my first aikido class ever. I can see how it has its flaws, for example i found a lot of the defences from grabs were strange, as they rely on the attacker keeping a hold of the arm while the movement is happening, which in reality probably wouldn't happen - i know i would just let go making the technique void. Having said that, the actual way they move would be good to apply if you practised other martial arts. I also think the learning curve is massive with that style as in the blackbelts would probably handle themselves fairly well but the less experienced might struggle, just my opinion I may be wrong, also it was only my first class, those were just observations from that and i might be completely wrong.

I reckon next I'm going to try the urmston club above that was recommended to compliment my BJJ
    Mind, I'm not telling it is useless, I think somebody with other MA background could find useful stuff in it, I definitely learnt how to take breakfalls and do ukemi, worked a great deal on my elasticity, balance and tai sabaki. The problem is most people who do it AND many BB have unrealistic expectations or ideas.

That said, if you are still interested, go somewhere where there's enough BBs to train with at least half of the class time, also I would definitely avoid Aikikai and Ki dojos as these are the most removed from "reality" - though it always depends as there can be exceptions.
    I guess the best would be a Yoshinkan place but there aren't any around, the closest is Tomiki/Shodokan but unless you're into wrist strain and "dildo sparring" I'm skeptical it would do any good.