Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 1:42pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Stop it. Just because they are both teachers doesn't mean you can always make the same comparison. I agree with the professionalism to a certain extent, but not with your awful example.

You just compared PHYSICAL TRAINING to brain training. One involves a certain level of violence the other does not. If my kung fu teacher told me to practice kicking, by writing "kick" 1,000 times I'd call him an idiot.

The instructor was wrong and should have reacted better, but assault? Have fun trying to prove that one.
    In this case I think it may be possible to make a comparison. If the instructor caused deliberate injury through neglect or action it doesn't matter if they were teaching wrestling or flower arranging a reckless disregard for safety was committed. With witness statements and a medical report the instructor will have to answer some difficult questions. Although I truly doubt it in this case I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

I'm not sure physical training is, in itself, a reasonable defence if student safety has been compromised. All reasonable measures must be taken to avoid unnecessary injury. You punch a student sparring fine. You punch him because you don't like his face you commit a crime. Hard to prove but not impossible. The difficult questions being asked of Philip Hammond over the recent tragic deaths of two SAS reservist candidates shows that even at the extremes of physical training safety is still the instructor's responsibility.

As a teacher I have filled in enough risk assessments to know that this is bollocks but it is what the law expects. If there is a danger you have overlooked and a pupil is injured as a result, guilty or not, your actions will be thoroughly examined.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 2:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    In this case I think it may be possible to make a comparison. If the instructor caused deliberate injury through neglect or action it doesn't matter if they were teaching wrestling or flower arranging a reckless disregard for safety was committed. With witness statements and a medical report the instructor will have to answer some difficult questions. Although I truly doubt it in this case I'm just playing Devil's advocate.
    First I said it was wrong. Things that occur in physical sports are let go that do not transfer to the classroom. Comparing the two is not plausible in this specific incident. We will just disagree.

I'm not sure physical training is, in itself, a reasonable defence if student safety has been compromised.
    I think it is a defense, you can argue reasonable on your own as that is something I never asserted.
    All reasonable measures must be taken to avoid unnecessary injury. You punch a student sparring fine. You punch him because you don't like his face you commit a crime. Hard to prove but not impossible. The difficult questions being asked of Philip Hammond over the recent tragic deaths of two SAS reservist candidates shows that even at the extremes of physical training safety is still the instructor's responsibility.
    I'd address this, but you are pulling in new scenarios. There are things that will be let go, in a physical environment, that will not translate with a math tutor.

As a teacher I have filled in enough risk assessments to know that this is bollocks but it is what the law expects. If there is a danger you have overlooked and a pupil is injured as a result, guilty or not, your actions will be thoroughly examined.
    Where did I say anything different? Of course things will be assessed I never said it wouldn't be. I said physical vs mental are two different scenarios that shouldn't be compared, with a ton of sarcasm.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 2:06pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickinMachine View Post
    I've learned TKD from Olympic gold medalist,
    Wait what?

Do you mean by DVD? Because your training history is:

Martial Arts Experience:
    Home-trained, for 3 years
    Attended kung fu for 2 months

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 2:07pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Wait what?

Martial Arts Experience:
    I did miss that part.

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 2:21pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ME? a home-trained street fighter for a couple of years,
    [snip] I was just following a simple principle "throw away what is useless and keep is what is useful" -bruce lee,
    How about following the simple principle that as home-trained, you know very little (usually worse than no training in my experience), and that you should listen to your instructors? I don't excuse your instructors behaviour though. Given that and what else has been floating around here, maybe look for better instructors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    First I said it was wrong. Things that occur in physical sports are let go that do not transfer to the classroom. Comparing the two is not plausible in this specific incident. We will just disagree.

I think it is a defense, you can argue reasonable on your own as that is something I never asserted.
    I'd address this, but you are pulling in new scenarios. There are things that will be let go, in a physical environment, that will not translate with a math tutor.

Where did I say anything different? Of course things will be assessed I never said it wouldn't be. I said physical vs mental are two different scenarios that shouldn't be compared, with a ton of sarcasm.
    Sarcasm is hard to detect in print and I didn't realise. However I think we are, on the whole, in agreement on this issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Wait what?

Martial Arts Experience:
    Home trained from DVDs? Ridiculous. I've seen the Bourne films, does that qualify me to be a government assassin?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 5:35pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Home training, you know, punching bag at home, weights, pull up bar. Dont you have any of that at home as well? I think i most likely attended a mcdojo. took me a good shove to the chest to find that out.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Home training, you know, punching bag at home, weights, pull up bar. Dont you have any of that at home as well?
    But how is that streetfighting?

I think i most likely attended a mcdojo. took me a good shove to the chest to find that out.
    Yeah, they're notorious for insisting on instep kicks over shin kicks. They're also notorious for complaining about light contact like a shove to the chest.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 5:44pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Home training, you know, punching bag at home, weights, pull up bar. Dont you have any of that at home as well?
    DO we really need to explain this question to you? Really?

I think i most likely attended a mcdojo. took me a good shove to the chest to find that out.
    A shove in the chest proves stupidity, it doesn't prove the place is a Mcdojo.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast