Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickinMachine View Post
    Houston Texas, Fm 518 and dixie farm road. Im here for an hour everyday. Dont wanna fight? well then go **** yourself
    Do you promise to only kick with your toes and not your shins?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 7:57pm

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    OP should've STFU and done what his fucking instructor told him to do. No matter what this idiot of a substitute instructor did, OP is the one in the wrong.
    I like the cut of your jib in principle, but I had a taekwondo instructor when I was about 15 who told us to do pushups on the back of our wrists on a hardwood floor. Sometimes the instructor is an idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 10:51pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He shouldn't have pushed you; he should have asked you to leave. And you should kick with your shin.

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 11:02pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    I like the cut of your jib in principle, but I had a taekwondo instructor when I was about 15 who told us to do pushups on the back of our wrists on a hardwood floor. Sometimes the instructor is an idiot.
    I don't want to give the impression that questions can't be asked. I ask questions all the time. But I choose carefully when I ask questions, and more importantly how I ask questions. I do not advocate blind faith in an instructor, on the contrary, I advocate scrupulous scrutiny. But not in class, not confrontational and certainly not swinging my non existent knowledge dick around.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 11:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody want to give me the abridged version for dumbassses excuse for arguing with the head instructor in front of the entire class?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Anybody want to give me the abridged version for dumbassses excuse for arguing with the head instructor in front of the entire class?
    He was afraid he'd get a boo boo on his leg by shin kicking a bag.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 2:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Bruce Lee said it was okay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 8:03am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing pushups on the back of your wrists is bad?
    Serious question, I would have guessed otherwise. I mean surely not the best exercise but if you start slowly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 9:14am

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Doing pushups on the back of your wrists is bad?
    Serious question, I would have guessed otherwise. I mean surely not the best exercise but if you start slowly?
    I'd be interested in knowing the reason for your guess. There are plenty of body surfaces on which you can rest weight. I wouldn't include the back of the wrist in the list, especially on an unpadded surface. I think if I had been a little older and more confident I would have refused to do the exercise entirely.

Maybe xing yi has some kid of oxjaw strike wherein the back of the wrist might benefit from conditioning, but what the hell were we doing this exercise for in taekwondo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 9:54am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be interested in knowing the reason for your guess. There are plenty of body surfaces on which you can rest weight. I wouldn't include the back of the wrist in the list, especially on an unpadded surface. I think if I had been a little older and more confident I would have refused to do the exercise entirely.

Maybe xing yi has some kid of oxjaw strike wherein the back of the wrist might benefit from conditioning, but what the hell were we doing this exercise for in taekwondo?
    Nah we donít do that **** in xing yi. I used to do it in my not-so-proud days. Even done them with clapping like this on wooden floor:

And yeah donít do this ****, probably not worth it. I was just curious if you know any specific reasons why they are hurtful.

But to get back to the topic of the thread:
    I think when a trainer makes you do such an exercise the appropriate response is to take it slow. Start on knees or at least donít add too much weight. If it hurts, you can ask the trainer if he knows an alternative exercise. If your trainer insists on bullshit exercises that are hurtful it is time to leave the school but donít judge an exercise before you tried it.

That is what OP should have done when he was worried about his shins. Start slowly.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast