Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 9:12pm

Style: TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I was assaulted during kung fu class?

"Under the criminal laws of Texas, assault can be charged if you:

Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly cause bodily injury to someone else, including your spouse.
    Intentionally or knowingly threaten someone else, including your spouse, with imminent bodily injury.
    Intentionally or knowingly cause physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

That means not only can you be charged for punching, kicking or choking someone during a fight, but if you tell someone you are going to beat them up, and that person has a reasonable fear that you are able and about to do it, you can be charged with assault."

Me and my brothers started at this Kung Fu school two months ago, they charge 20 dollars a month, and I was a maroon belt which is the first belt. Every weekend would be the same, I would go in and bow to the temples and instructors, stretch, punch, kick and and practice forms, then we go home.

Last weekend was completely different however. I didn't understand what had happened, The master's son was instructing the class, because the master had a meeting with other instructors. His son's name is Dyllan, and he is a black belt in the class. Dyllan was instructing me on how to do the roundhouse kick. Very simple kick, I was doing the kick on the heavy bag, and he comes over and says to me "You're supposed to strike with the shin, that's why you're kicking sloppy" and I reply in exact words, "I don't kick with my shin because it could hurt or break in real fight, so I kick with the foot" He replies, "This isn't Tae Kwon Do, and you can't hurt your shin"
    I reply, "Well in a real fight you could hurt your shins" He yelled back "DON'T TALK BACK TO ME", and I reply "I'm not talking back" Then he says, "ARE YOU TALKING ****?" and paced up to me and shoved me to the ground. I stare him down and he comes back to me and says "WHAT THEN?"

Now is it just me? because I thought instructors can't sought violence with their own students. He wasn't an official instructor, but the master's son. He was substituting the class and lost control in front of alot of other students. When the master gets back, I tell him what happens. He says "You are making a big deal out of a small situation" I ask him "Really? what's a bigger deal than an instructor hurting a student?" He replied "sitting here and having this discussion is a bigger deal" He told me I'm breaking the rules of the dojo and I can either choose to stay and learn kung fu or I can leave and no one would give a damn. I tell him, "instructors can't hurt students" and he gets frustrated and says "Why do you keep talking about that? why do you keep going back to that topic?" He tells me things like I'm hot-headed, I'm stupid, and a rulebreaker, and told me I can't do anything to him and his dojo, his last final words to me, "leave or stay, IDGAF."

I left, I choose not to learn from this school anymore. My loss right?

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 9:37pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you were being a bit of a whiny bitch but it also sounds like the school handled the situation poorly, probably a good thing you left, the school wasn't for you.

Why do I say you were being a whiny bitch? A guy told you kick with your shin and you argued. Kicking with the shin is a legit striking method and much safer than kicking with your foot. How do you know kicking with the shin is unsafe? What experience gives you the right to argue? Kicking with the instep makes it easier to damage your ankle and if you catch an elbow you'll realize why it's a bad idea.

You are at a martial arts school to learn their way of fighting, not to do what you think is best. If you want to do your own thing do it at home or in the class you teach. As i've said before you can't go to a boxing gym and start kicking people because you think its better.

You were probably being an annoying douche. However, the school should be used to annoying douches who think they know what is batter. The guy shouldn't have put his hands on you. He should have explained why he thought his way was better and if you still disagreed he should have let you throw an instep roundhouse at him and dropped an elbow on your foot. Of course, you could have been interrupting class as well. If the instructor or whoever is leading is trying to keep things moving along and quickly wants to check your technique and you argue I could see his frustration. He still had no right to act how he did they way you tell it.

I've visited a lot of schools and been shown techniques I don't think would be effective. I NEVER argue with the guy who I came to train with. I am there for a reason to learn from someone else. If I don't like what he shows I don't use it at home. If I am invited to ask a question I might tactfully mention what i'm thinking and observe the response after that I drop it and move on unless i'm really comfortable with the guy and it's not in a class setting.

OP YOU WERE BEING A DOUCHE!

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 3:30am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were being an idiot, this Dyllan guy lost his temper.

Should he have had a better grip on himself? Sure, that's not a great way for an instructor to behave.

Is it worth making a big deal out of? Probably not.

I think you made the right choice moving on from that school though, clearly you are not suited to it and it is not suited to you.

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 5:45am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then again as you OP, clearly knew so much more than the guy instructing you did, I can't see how he put you on your whiney but.

If you take your sad sad story to the law they are going to laugh at you.

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 6:02am

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because obviously the large bone of the shin is made of spun sugar glass while the small bones of the foot are forged titanium.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 6:14am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the OP was being awkward but having said that an instructor should remain professional. If you were treated like this by a maths tutor you would certainly have grounds to complain (I can't do long division like that! WALLOP! Yes you can.). The standards shouldn't drop simply because it is a martial arts class IMO.

I think you should have framed it as a question 'I was told not to kick with my shin as this could cause injury. Is that wrong?' As Jspeedy said don't argue with the guy that's just rude.

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 6:26am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP should've STFU and done what his fucking instructor told him to do. No matter what this idiot of a substitute instructor did, OP is the one in the wrong.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 6:47am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whilst I largely agree with you asking questions is a large part of learning and any decent instructor will encourage it. Arguing however is grounds for being thrown out. BUT simply doing what you are told without question is stupid, maybe even dangerous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 7:36am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it significant that he said 'this isn't Tae Kwon Do'?

Do you have a track record of questioning stuff and saying 'this isn't how we do it in Tae Kwon Do'?

You're training at a Kung Fu school but still listing TKD as your primary style. Were you a high grade?

Empty thy cup, young man.

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 7:39am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Is it significant that he said 'this isn't Tae Kwon Do'?

Do you have a track record of questioning stuff and saying 'this isn't how we do it in Tae Kwon Do'?

You're training at a Kung Fu school but still listing TKD as your primary style. Were you a high grade?

Empty thy cup, young man.
    This. This is why I say he should have shut the **** up.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast