Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2015 10:22am

Style: Freestyle Kempo/JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ken Brayman - Krav Maga in Sanford, FL

Looking into the local martial arts scene in my neck of the woods, and I came across this school:

http://www.premiermartialartssanford.com/

Now, Premier always has stupid cheesy sites, and he apparently is affiliate with them because the pros (access to top-level instruction in various styles, hassle-free marketing, etc) outweigh the cons (cheesy videos and site, affiliation with some PMA studios that are McDojos, etc). However, I spoke to the owner Ken Brayman. I've been studying various martial arts for the past decade, and I know BS when I see it (anyone remember Coda Scott?). He seems to know what he's talking about, seems very knowledgeable in Krav Maga, and claims to have 6 or 7 black belts. He's in his 50s for sure, and having been training (according to him) since his early teen years it is quite possible for him to have achieved that feat. He claims to be a 5th dan in American Kenpo, a certified instructor (whatever that means?) in Jeet Kune Do, a 2nd degree in TKD, and a few others.

I just don't know. Maybe since he hasn't had a big name in any of those arts there just isn't a ton out there on him? Either way, I can't find ANYTHING on him online outside of his social networking pages. He brings some legit names into the studio (in the Krav Maga world) to come do training, and again seems pretty believable in his knowledge and application, but it sure would be nice if someone knew something of him or his affiliations.

Thanks BS!

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/03/2015 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are lots of great schools in the CF area, from Judo to BJJ to MMA. Are you stuck on Krav?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2015 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not necessarily stuck, but it is super close to my house, the price is right, I have family going there (for a few weeks), there's basically a small gym's worth of workout equipment and a ninja warrior-ish type of obstacle thing for fun... Not a bad deal. I had been training JKD on and off locally with my crazy schedule, and I can typically GoogleFu my way around McDojos. It just bothered me that I couldn't find much on this guy in particular haha.

Posted On:
    3/03/2015 3:01pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about him but I'm close-ish in the clermont area, if you ever want to train some FMA hit me up. I'm probably a little far for regular training, but I'm working with a guy right now who makes the 1hr drive from Brandon.

https://m.facebook.com/GrovelandBali...s?ref=bookmark

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2015 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think this belongs in MABS..... yet

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2015 6:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShodanEndeavor View Post
    Looking into the local martial arts scene in my neck of the woods, and I came across this school:

http://www.premiermartialartssanford.com/

Now, Premier always has stupid cheesy sites, and he apparently is affiliate with them because the pros (access to top-level instruction in various styles, hassle-free marketing, etc) outweigh the cons (cheesy videos and site, affiliation with some PMA studios that are McDojos, etc). However, I spoke to the owner Ken Brayman. I've been studying various martial arts for the past decade, and I know BS when I see it (anyone remember Coda Scott?). He seems to know what he's talking about, seems very knowledgeable in Krav Maga, and claims to have 6 or 7 black belts. He's in his 50s for sure, and having been training (according to him) since his early teen years it is quite possible for him to have achieved that feat. He claims to be a 5th dan in American Kenpo, a certified instructor (whatever that means?) in Jeet Kune Do, a 2nd degree in TKD, and a few others.

I just don't know. Maybe since he hasn't had a big name in any of those arts there just isn't a ton out there on him? Either way, I can't find ANYTHING on him online outside of his social networking pages. He brings some legit names into the studio (in the Krav Maga world) to come do training, and again seems pretty believable in his knowledge and application, but it sure would be nice if someone knew something of him or his affiliations.

Thanks BS!
    JKD doesn't use a belt system so...

Meh, try it, see if it holds water. If you like it there you go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2015 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I haven't been a super active user since Coda Scott was a thing haha so I apologize for throwing this on the wrong board. It's been fun so far, I'll let you know if anything fishy comes up!

~Peace

Posted On:
    3/06/2015 7:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Jungle has a branch out in Sanford. I haven't trained there but The Jungle itself has a good rep.