Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hanshi Soke Grandmaster Irving Soto

Recently I found a little dojo when I was out bike riding. It was a place run by a Grandmaster Irving Soto. I looked him up online and found quite the list of red flags. His site can be viewed here:
    http://sokesoto.tripod.com/

Some of his big claims:

10th Degree Black Belt Cover Red Belt
    Last Heir to Atemi-Jitsu, Atemi Aiki-Jitsu, Kyu-Jitsu Aiki-Jitsu Atemi
    8-Time Undisputed World Kumite Champion
    Undisputed Jujitsu Champion
    Undisputed Kickboxing Champion

I sent him this email:
    Greetings Grandmaster Soto, I recently drove by your dojo and it led me to your website. I was wondering if you could answer some questions I have.
    -What style of jujutsu do you study/train, and who gave you your jujutsu rank?
    -Is the kumite you're the undisputed champion of 8X the same Kumite referenced in the movie Bloodsport?

I am asking this on behalf of Bullshido, a martial arts consumer advocate website.

Thank you for your time.
    Since I can't find a particular jujutsu style listed, I don't really know how to look up his rank there. His 8 time Kumite champion plus his autographed Frank Dux picture make me suspect that the kumite he's talking about is the fictitious one that Dux made up for Bloodsport. The undisputed kickboxing champ has no org or weight class listed so that can't be verified (I forgot to include that question in the email but if he replies I'll follow up).

There's video of him in action on Youtube:

Looks like pretty standard dead pattern JJ, no aliveness shown, but whatever. Looks like they're either hamming it up or he likes to hurt ukes, which I don't approve of.

More of the same:

I really don't get the Keep-Cranking-While-They-Furiously-Tap styles.

There's dozens of youtube vids of him but they mostly seem to be the same type of stuff you see above.

He seems to be linked to other 10th Dans as well and one of his demos is at a Hall of Fame thing, and he has Hanshi Soke Grandmaster before his name, which makes me suspect that his rank is from one of those World Sokeship Council type orgs.

Also I think I might possibly see some evidence of tampering in this photo:

I've gone through the site and taken screen grabs and stuff.

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 12:25pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From his website:
    Soke Dr. Grandmaster Soto 8-Time Undisputed World Kumite Champion from New York and heritage from Puerto Rico, defeated Alonzo Wilson in the 1970s by breaking his leg in the Kumite the Bloodsport, "everything goes" after defeating 15 opponents which one of these was Alonzo Wilson, Hanshi Grandmaster Soto becoming World Champion of the Kumite.
    ... so I'd say yes, he claims he fought in "The Kumite"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 12:38pm

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, on one page, he reminds us 16 times that he is the "8-Time Undisputed World Kumite Champion." Surely, if there were any doubt to the claim, he wouldn't have repeated it 16 times?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 1:19pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the whole "last heir" bit rather dubious. If he is the "last heir" then who did he inherit his skills from? Furthermore I find it difficult to believe that he is the "sole heir" of "atemi jitsu", loads of people claim to train in it. There was a guy just up the road from me claiming to train people in " atemi jitsu".

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Since I can't find a particular jujutsu style listed, I don't really know how to look up his rank there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atemi_Ju-Jitsu

Atemi-ju-jitsu, or "Pariset" JJ, the French version of JJJ/Judo. Named for French judo/JJ champ Bernard Pariset, who was a student of Jigoro Kano's student Mikonosuke Kawaishi.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/04/2014 1:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by scipio; 4/04/2014 1:24pm at . Reason: Trying to type on a small screen

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 1:27pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like we have an old thread on this guy already
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ht=Irving+Soto

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2014 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd still be interested to see if he replies to your email and what of drivel he replies with.

His website made my eyes ache......

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2014 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but what does it mean when he says he is 10th degree black belt cover red belt? Does this mean that he wears a red belt over his black belt or something?

Posted On:
    4/05/2014 6:27pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He will be insulted that you had the arrogance to question his legitimacy. He'll call anyone asking him to verify his credentials is a hater, and result to attacks of moral character. Maybe a student or two of his will come on line here to assure us he's the real deal. There may be a challenge of some sort that will never materialize, probably because these guys train for the street and are of to high a moral standard to stoop low enough to fight. Someone will ragequit and that will be that.

He will be insulted that you had the arrogance to question his legitimacy. He'll call anyone asking him to verify his credentials is a hater, and result to attacks of moral character. Maybe a student or two of his will come on line here to assure us he's the real deal. There may be a challenge of some sort that will never materialize, probably because these guys train for the street and are of to high a moral standard to stoop low enough to fight. Someone will ragequit and that will be that.