Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2015 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

List of Fake Styles and Rank Mills

I'm always shocked at just how many fake styles and certificate mills there are out there. So many, it seems, that it would be impossible for anyone to actually figure out if someone's credentials are fake or not...

Has anyone ever sat down and compile a list of all the fake styles and certificate mills? I would think that would be a useful tool for people...

If someone already has done this, could someone point me to it?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/08/2015 10:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an idea. A big endeavor though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2015 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    It's an idea. A big endeavor though.
    Seems like something Bullshido is uniquely positioned to do...all these years of exposing frauds and rank promotion circle-jerks...just plug it in somehow...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2015 5:49am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suspect that part of the problem might be the "fluid" nature of some of these jerk circles. You could get people setting up these kind of groups at short notice making it difficult to monitor.

You might be able to set something approximating a list of belt mills/jerk circles but the difficult bit would be maintaining it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2015 6:18am

Style: MMA BJJ TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This list would be ever evolving but would provide for an interesting read.

Just playing devil's advocate here:

Regarding styles of combat

Would it not be easier to compile a list of all those arts which are deemed reputable? Would there need to be a clear set of standards or rules that would constitute a reputable, recognised or accepted style within the realms of ethics, morals and law?

Regarding education/ accreditation/ credentials

Same as combat styles...? Difficult to compile a global list of educational facilities.
    Is there not already a list of those deemed to have falsified qualifications, whether from diploma mill or real establishment (like false military claims etc)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2015 7:00am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold_ax666 View Post
    This list would be ever evolving but would provide for an interesting read.

Just playing devil's advocate here:

Regarding styles of combat

Would it not be easier to compile a list of all those arts which are deemed reputable? Would there need to be a clear set of standards or rules that would constitute a reputable, recognised or accepted style within the realms of ethics, morals and law?

Regarding education/ accreditation/ credentials

Same as combat styles...? Difficult to compile a global list of educational facilities.
    Is there not already a list of those deemed to have falsified qualifications, whether from diploma mill or real establishment (like false military claims etc)?
    Hmmm...a wiki might be the answer. A list of credential-issuing groups and "styles" with a short description, maybe a pic of their cert, and a simple thumbs up or down as to whether its legitimate.

Have to come up with a criteria for "legitimacy" that's relatively simple. A list of questions that any legitimate ranking body should be able to answer "yes" to all or most of the questions? A "test?"

Could start by looking at the top twenty known rank and title whores and their lists of "accomplishments." Hit the big ones first and then let it grow...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2015 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a good place to start would be with all the various "schools" and "instructors" that teach via distance learning.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/09/2015 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some terms have been so polluted by frauds that it might actually be easier to make a list of the legit ones that are out there. "Hall of Fame", "Hanshi", "Soke", etc are all titles of prestige that are more often than not used by frauds, and very rarely used by legitimate practitioners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2015 7:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    I think a good place to start would be with all the various "schools" and "instructors" that teach via distance learning.
    That's interesting...I was checking out some of these online "schools" and the whole notion is a bit unsettling. Martial Arts University is one of them...pretty slick site, but the skill of the "instructors" looks a bit lacking. I don't know, martial arts is just one of those things you need a real teacher to learn. They try really hard to give the impression that it's not style-specific when it's clearly Kukki-do Taekwondo (one of the masters is even doing Koryo in one of the videos). I'm a Taekwondo guy with over 30 years experience and this always bugs me. Like mixing Chinese, Japanese, and Korean terminology because you (or your instructor) simply doesn't know any better...I see that the Sells are somehow associated with MAU. I wonder if you have to be a christian to do the MAU program...

I've never understood the phenomenon of "christian" martial arts (bunch of goofy bastards, if you ask me...something tells me Jesus would have been a bit perplexed by the notion). US Chung Do Kwan people can be a bit churchy and weird...I guess this is the source of MAU's "legitimate" ranking...wonder if this whole thing will tarnish their reputation and relations with Kukkiwon...

I've noticed that a lot of these "distance learning" "schools are southern in origin...why do you suppose so much crazy MA BS comes out of the south?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2015 9:40am

Style: MMA BJJ TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTTKDGUY View Post
    That's interesting...I was checking out some of these online "schools" and the whole notion is a bit unsettling. Martial Arts University is one of them...pretty slick site, but the skill of the "instructors" looks a bit lacking. I don't know, martial arts is just one of those things you need a real teacher to learn. They try really hard to give the impression that it's not style-specific when it's clearly Kukki-do Taekwondo (one of the masters is even doing Koryo in one of the videos). I'm a Taekwondo guy with over 30 years experience and this always bugs me. Like mixing Chinese, Japanese, and Korean terminology because you (or your instructor) simply doesn't know any better...I see that the Sells are somehow associated with MAU. I wonder if you have to be a christian to do the MAU program...

I've never understood the phenomenon of "christian" martial arts (bunch of goofy bastards, if you ask me...something tells me Jesus would have been a bit perplexed by the notion). US Chung Do Kwan people can be a bit churchy and weird...I guess this is the source of MAU's "legitimate" ranking...wonder if this whole thing will tarnish their reputation and relations with Kukkiwon...

I've noticed that a lot of these "distance learning" "schools are southern in origin...why do you suppose so much crazy MA BS comes out of the south?
    lol, I seem to look at exactly the same things as you! I've been looking at these BS qualification 'universities' etc for ages now!

Have a look at:

http://www.internationaluniversitysa...tial-arts.html

You should be eligible for your doctorate by now :) Congrats! (Good old Dr. Ron!)

This is the educational equivalent of a Dr. Bohdi CV/ Resume. It is a shame that the path to credibility is strewn with shortcuts which provide an end result (of sorts) but remove hard work, effort and, ironically, all credibility!!!

The slick website is no surprise (although Dr. Ron's is overcrap). It's the mask of credibility which encourages these rank seekers to convince themselves that what they are paying for is credible and therefore worth their money.

that gets me thinking....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast