Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pullup help please?

i've challenged myself to do the Marine Corps PT test, and the first part of it is to do at least 3 pullups. I want to get to at least 10 by August, so is there a better way to improve pullup count other than doing more pullups every day? i'm dropping my body all the way down as the starting point.

Thanks!

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently at three sets of five pull-ups. I started out by working up to three sets of eight negative pull-ups. And then once I got there, I started trying to replace one negative pull-up a set with a normal one. Once I could do three pull-ups in a row, I cut the negatives and started trying to add one pull-up each time I went to the gym. So if that day was 3x3x3, the next one would be 4x3x3. It takes less time than you might think.

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and by negatives you mean the ones where you add a counterbalance to "decrease" the weight that you're having to pull up?

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwinsemall View Post
    and by negatives you mean the ones where you add a counterbalance to "decrease" the weight that you're having to pull up?
    No. I mean you use a stool or something to start at the top of the motion, and then let yourself down as slowly as possible.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This depends a lot on how many pull-ups or chin-ups you can do now. As in, what's the absolute maximum you can do from the bottom without kipping?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or did I misunderstand "i'm dropping my body all the way down as the starting point" and your maximum is 0?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

Especially watch the 2nd video on that page.
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pullups are by far my favorite exercise. Just to qualify a little bit, I started doing pullups serious about 6 years ago. Back then I could do 1 good pullup and 3 if I was kipping. Right now I am 215lbs and I can do 20 strait pullups. I do them twice a week totaling around 40 - 50 per workout. When I first started I did the grease the groove program for about 4 weeks. By the end of it, I could do 3 strict pullups. After that I downloaded a pullup ap on my phone and started using it. It had me doing pullups 3 days a week. I would do about 6 sets with 30 second rests in between sets. The sets looked something like this: 1,1,1,2,1, max. Then the ap would slowly increase the reps over the weeks. I think it was a 8 week program and I was doing 15 pullups by the end.

To answer one of your questions, no. The best way to get better at pullups is pullups. There are things that you can do to help along, but learning to love that bar is the best thing you can do. Another couple things. Don't buy gloves. Your hands will build up callouses and it may take a minute, but hang in there. Once they toughen up, you will be good to go. Also, most people lose their grip before their lats are actually getting a workout. That's normal. Hang in there, your grip will build up and then you will be good to go. One of the cool things about being good a pullups is the iron grip you will develop and the awesome looking arms.

Another thing, there is no excuse to not get your pullups in. I've done pullups in hotel rooms on the back of doors, kids play sets, trees, stairs, rock walls, from awnings, all kinds of stuff. People look at you funny but that's only because they wish they were you, so don't worry about it.

*******A year from now you will wish you had started today********** So don't put it off. Come back in a year and post on this thread to let us know how awesome you are for succeeding.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys! i'm going to try this out! most of my friends can do at least 6. I can struggle to get 3. My girlfriend can do 5, so gotta get myself up there

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwinsemall View Post
    I can struggle to get 3
    If you can do 3 with a bit of effort and maybe a kip, I'd do a gajillion single reps with 30 seconds to one minute of rest between them. Volume will stimulate growth & strength. Within a month you'll be able to do a gajillion sets of 3 instead, maybe with a max of 5 or so. A simple way to organize this in your workout is to set a total rep goal for the workout, and keep resting and doing singles until you reach that total (or you're completely burnt out). Your first day, 10 or 20 total reps is plenty. Subsequent workouts shoot for 20, then 25, then keep pushing until you have high-rep sets and 50 or more total reps.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last