Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2014 7:15am

Style: Wrestling, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quickest way to get back in shape for wreslting and grappling?

Just wanted hear what you guys had to say about this. I am going to be hitting the backs again next week and I'm no shape to do it.
    Just wondering if anyways had a super intensive anaerobic/aerobic routine that might help me at least survive on the Matt for my first few practices.
    As far as equipment goes I have 24 kg two kettle bells, a20 i\lb medicine ball and a local cheap gym near by. Theres also a very accessible track and field.
    I train mainly wrestling- but may also be doing some Judo, no gi
    and kickboxing depending on what I decide. (probably the no gi and kickboxing because they are both on the same day)
    Be great to hear what you have to say.
    Cheers guys.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2014 7:36am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Jutsu/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All that helps, but sometimes I think the best way is not to get fit before training, but to get fit by training. After a hiatus you're going to be busted anyway the first time back, so it helps to just jump in and get it out of the way.

Posted On:
    2/08/2015 2:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to get in shape for Wrestling/Grappling is by simply doing it.

But, that said, if you are looking for a method to get in shape out of class/training then you definitely want to do sprints (50 meter, 100 meter, 200 meter), run hills, run the steps at your closest stadium (if you can while holding dumbbells).

In terms of lifting, I would definitely do circuit training, focusing on compound movements, lots of Jumping type exercises, skipping rope, getting up from the ground, etc.....and also work on your stretching afterwards as flexibility is definitely and asset when wrestling (especially hips, knees).

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/09/2015 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by COLLINDEFLEUR View Post
    Just wanted hear what you guys had to say about this. I am going to be hitting the backs again next week and I'm no shape to do it.
    Just wondering if anyways had a super intensive anaerobic/aerobic routine that might help me at least survive on the Matt for my first few practices.
    As far as equipment goes I have 24 kg two kettle bells, a20 i\lb medicine ball and a local cheap gym near by. Theres also a very accessible track and field.
    I train mainly wrestling- but may also be doing some Judo, no gi
    and kickboxing depending on what I decide. (probably the no gi and kickboxing because they are both on the same day)
    Be great to hear what you have to say.
    Cheers guys.
    Offhand, I'd say go and train at wrestling, Judo etc, that will probably keep you busy and tired and sore for quite a while. Be careful about over-training at first, as well as avoid injury. That means pacing yourself at training, how hard you roll/wrestle/spar.

Part of the equation is exactly how out of shape you are, your age, and your former skill level at grappling, and, of course, where you plan on doing your training.

Pace yourself is the main thing.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2015 1:52pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shooto7 View Post
    The best way to get in shape for Wrestling/Grappling is by simply doing it.
    This. It doesn't matter how much cycling, running, swimming, lifting etc I do. The only thing that prepares me is hitting the mat more then 5 days a week, and hopefully multiple times a day.