Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sport and steroids

Today I woke up with one mind. Is the real to get success in mma or any other sport without steroids?
    I think if you want to be successful you need to break the rules and use some cheats.
    I'm bodybuilder and mma is just my hobbie. I use anabolics, use some aminoacides, 'cause I wanna be a big guy My first steroid I bought 2 years ago on thepharmacom.com and then I first time visited a mma trainings. I gave a lot of hateful sight on me, when people found that I use anabolics(OMG).
    I don't wanna be a professional mma warrior. And what would be your reaction for the sportsmen, who used steroids.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like you I lift and MA's are my hobby. It is easy when you are lifting to look at taking a short cut to get big quick. Lets be honest, most (if not every gym) has a proportion of people taking steroids (OK I'm in the UK rather than the US but I suspect it is the same). In many respects it can and has become part of the culture.

However, if you are going to compete in any sport and you are on steroids (even at an amateur level) I think you need to decide where you want to be. My personal view on competing and steroids is that it is a no-no. I know in many amateur sports drugs testing is no way as mature as professional testing but the more people who are on steroids the higher the chance of testing.

I'm not sure what MMA does around drugs testing. I'm pretty ambivalent if you want to do 'roids if you are body building but no for competing. This is a personal view.

Taking steroids on amateur sports is on the rise - this is a link to amateur rugby players in the UK where steroid taking is apparently becoming rife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34902105

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Read this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B74...NUUjk3V0U/edit, pages 26 and 27.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IBJJF world championships is doing testing.

Style
    HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert but I know there's a lot more to performance enhancing drugs than just anabolics. It's not just muscle mass, it's fat burning, endurance, recovery etc.

Drug testing appears to be an IQ test, athletes get away with it for years before getting caught and I don't see why MMA would be any difference. As an amateur martial artist I consider it a waste of money but at the professional level I expect athletes to do everything in their power to win.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At an armature level I think its Bull ****!!!
    You are competing with the Accountant that does MMA for fun and wants to get into the ring.
    That is seriously an unfair advantage.
    At the pro level you might have to make up for what ever you lack in genetics.
    or like Jim Giant said for all the other factors other than strength.
    Quicker recovery time means more fights, more training, more chance at success.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmcgrow View Post
    Today I woke up with one mind. Is the real to get success in mma or any other sport without steroids?
    I think if you want to be successful you need to break the rules and use some cheats.
    I'm bodybuilder and mma is just my hobbie. I use anabolics, use some aminoacides, 'cause I wanna be a big guy My first steroid I bought 2 years ago on thepharmacom.com and then I first time visited a mma trainings. I gave a lot of hateful sight on me, when people found that I use anabolics(OMG).
    I don't wanna be a professional mma warrior. And what would be your reaction for the sportsmen, who used steroids.
    Since it's a weight class sport I don't think it's a big deal. There won't be an insurmountable strength diffence between natural and steroid users of the same weight. There are pros and cons to usage and its a choice every man has to make for himself.
    I am however against women taking anabolics and competing.
    The difference between men and women in athletic ability changes at puberty. This is because of testosterone. It's not fair to make women have to turn themselves into something in between a man and woman to compete in sports.

So for dudes I am pro-choice and for chick's I don't think it's fair because the cost is so much bigger when making that choice.

Style
    HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Since it's a weight class sport I don't think it's a big deal. There won't be an insurmountable strength diffence between natural and steroid users of the same weight. There are pros and cons to usage and its a choice every man has to make for himself.
    I am however against women taking anabolics and competing.
    The difference between men and women in athletic ability changes at puberty. This is because of testosterone. It's not fair to make women have to turn themselves into something in between a man and woman to compete in sports.

So for dudes I am pro-choice and for chick's I don't think it's fair because the cost is so much bigger when making that choice.
    I disagree. Becoming the best in the world takes should take sacrifice and for women that may include losing their femininity. That being said there are plenty of women on anabolics who still look feminine.

You could say the same thing about men turning in to something half way between a man and a gorilla.

Weight classes certainly go some way towards levelling the playing field but from what I remember of a study looking at elite powerlifters there is still about a 10% difference between naturals and enhanced though this relies on the naturals actually being honest which they almost certainly aren't. I suspect the real difference is more like 20-25% which is huge.

Anabolics also improve recovery and likely improve pain tolerance and reaction time not to mention the effects of other PEDs.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Giant View Post
    I disagree. Becoming the best in the world takes should take sacrifice and for women that may include losing their femininity. That being said there are plenty of women on anabolics who still look feminine.

You could say the same thing about men turning in to something half way between a man and a gorilla.

Weight classes certainly go some way towards levelling the playing field but from what I remember of a study looking at elite powerlifters there is still about a 10% difference between naturals and enhanced though this relies on the naturals actually being honest which they almost certainly aren't. I suspect the real difference is more like 20-25% which is huge.

Anabolics also improve recovery and likely improve pain tolerance and reaction time not to mention the effects of other PEDs.
    Anabolic
    Steroid use does permanent damage to women. So I disagree.
    In fighting muscles are just a small piece of the pie compared to weight lifting where they are 9/10ths of the pie. Those guys are strength athletes.

As far as men becoming gorillas? Its not that drastic in fighting because being really big is not an advantage. All through out history long reigning HW champs in combat sports have all been around 200-250. The exceptions towards the heavy ent of that have always been quite tall. Powder lifter physiques are not ideal for fighting.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 6/02/2016 1:50pm at .

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Anabolic
    Steroid use does permanent damage to women. So I disagree.
    In fighting muscles are just a small piece of the pie compared to weight lifting where they are 9/10ths of the pie. Those guys are strength athletes.

As far as men becoming gorillas? Its not that drastic in fighting because being really big is not an advantage. All through out history long reigning HW champs in combat sports have all been around 200-250. The exceptions have always been quite tall. Powder lifter physiques are not ideal for fighting.

Anabolic usage can do permanent damage to both sexes.
    Size is a red herring, weight classes and all...

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last