Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 12:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo noob Kickboxing noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob question about Seoi Nage/Ippon Seoi Nage

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in Newbietown, but it is a Judo related question, so I deemed it accettable, although it might be a really stupid question.
    Is there a difference between Ippon Seoi Nage and Seoi Nage? I tried a search, but I could only find discussions about the difference between Ippon Seoi Nage and Morote Seoi Nage, or Seoi Otoshi... plus a couple threads from Judoforum that my antivirus blocked.

Thanks to all who will take the time to answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 12:47pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borbotto View Post
    I'm not sure if I should have posted this in Newbietown, but it is a Judo related question, so I deemed it accettable, although it might be a really stupid question.
    Is there a difference between Ippon Seoi Nage and Seoi Nage? I tried a search, but I could only find discussions about the difference between Ippon Seoi Nage and Morote Seoi Nage, or Seoi Otoshi... plus a couple threads from Judoforum that my antivirus blocked.

Thanks to all who will take the time to answer.
    Ippon Seoi Nage is a one armed shoulder throw, Morote Seoi Nage is a two armed Shoulder Throw, Seoi Otoshi is a dropping shoulder throw

Seoi Nage just means shoulder throw but its not a full description

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 8:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Nickosaurus said is correct, that being said when I hear people just say seoi nage 9 times out of 10 they mean ippon seoi nage

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    What Nickosaurus said is correct, that being said when I hear people just say seoi nage 9 times out of 10 they mean ippon seoi nage
    ^ Agree.

I've also noticed (at least in my experience) that judoka either LOVE seoi nage or hate it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 9:53pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChokeAJudoka View Post
    ^ Agree.

I've also noticed (at least in my experience) that judoka either LOVE seoi nage or hate it!
    I'll second that, and add seio otoshi seems to be all the rage with the love seoi nage crowd right now, at least around LA. But maybe my subjective experience is totally off base? Be curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I'll second that, and add seio otoshi seems to be all the rage with the love seoi nage crowd right now, at least around LA. But maybe my subjective experience is totally off base? Be curious to see what everyone else thinks.
    Up here in the land of ice and snow the seoi enthusiasts don't seem to use the full otoshi, prefering either to keep to the standing seoi nage or droping into the deep lunge version of seoi otoshi instead of the droping to both knees variant.

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 3:09pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Those people would be wrong although it is a common mistake. Seoinage is the standard technique using two hands also called morote seionage, ippon seionage is the variation. Ippon seionage is not in the gokyo no waza (standard techniques), it is in the shinmeisho no waza (new techniques).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 10:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Those people would be wrong although it is a common mistake. Seoinage is the standard technique using two hands also called morote seionage, ippon seionage is the variation. Ippon seionage is not in the gokyo no waza (standard techniques), it is in the shinmeisho no waza (new techniques).
    2nd that.

"Seionage" is Morote Seionage.

"Ippon Seionage" is the one most commonly seen and that most people think of when they hear Seionage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 11:45pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's interesting. Judo is just kind of a side thing for me, don't pay enough attention to the bigger scene to know how much regional difference there is in terms of preference. But I'm sure anyone competing on a national level recognizes it.

Edit: Was replying to Judojeff and the quote button didn't seem to work for some reason.

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 12:19am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furthermore, "drop seoi" and seoi-otoshi are not necessarily the same thing. Discussion here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast