Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is It Common in BJJ

Hello guys and gals I have been a lurker here for a while and now I decide to make my first post.

I have recently been made aware of what seems to be a trend with BJJ Black Belts going to obscure countries throughout the world and doing seminars. Now this fact I know is not a new thing.

What I have noticed is a lot of those (sometimes respectable) Black belts are handing out Blue and purple belts to people in those countries who basically run Mc Dojos and are jumping on the BJJ band Wagon.

Recently I was made aware of an Blue Belt who was promoted to Purple belt in just 5 months. This was done by a reputable black belt.

The problem I have is upon research I also found out that the Blue who got his Puple belt does not actually train with an actual BJJ coach instead he just Fly's in BJJ black belt every so months and does a seminar. This purple has not ever competed in BJJ at any level. His club does however have medals in BJJ competitions in its region but these are competitions where some of the brackets only have 2 or 3 people

My question is. Does this happen a lot in BJJ and is it really fair to the people who have worked hard for their ranking.

On the surface it seems that there is a few black belts out there who are basically selling belts just so they can grow their clubs. I know this is not new either.

last question is should I expose this "business practice" as done by the Black Belt in Question

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 5:58am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you provide sufficient evidence to back your claims, by all means you should publish your findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 1:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the age of information how do you define an "obscure" country?
    Are we talking the princaplity of Sealand?
    Is there some increase in McDojoism? I wouldn't doubt it.
    Is it becoming a trend? I have not seen any evidence.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 3:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChessMan View Post
    Hello guys and gals I have been a lurker here for a while and now I decide to make my first post.

I have recently been made aware of what seems to be a trend with BJJ Black Belts going to obscure countries throughout the world and doing seminars. Now this fact I know is not a new thing.

What I have noticed is a lot of those (sometimes respectable) Black belts are handing out Blue and purple belts to people in those countries who basically run Mc Dojos and are jumping on the BJJ band Wagon.

Recently I was made aware of an Blue Belt who was promoted to Purple belt in just 5 months. This was done by a reputable black belt.

The problem I have is upon research I also found out that the Blue who got his Puple belt does not actually train with an actual BJJ coach instead he just Fly's in BJJ black belt every so months and does a seminar. This purple has not ever competed in BJJ at any level. His club does however have medals in BJJ competitions in its region but these are competitions where some of the brackets only have 2 or 3 people

My question is. Does this happen a lot in BJJ and is it really fair to the people who have worked hard for their ranking.

On the surface it seems that there is a few black belts out there who are basically selling belts just so they can grow their clubs. I know this is not new either.

last question is should I expose this "business practice" as done by the Black Belt in Question
    Once upon a time this was prevalent. Go look at early threads and during the early 90s before BJJ spread. It was common for people to train together, fly to a seminar, fly in an instructor and get rank in that fashion if they were out of the main area.

Not saying this is the case and it is a ton more ridiculous now, with MCdojism creeping into BJJ, but you have to give people more information. Is it becoming a trend, I don't know, but there is evidence brewing that a few BJJ instructors are starting to do pay for play.

We have a few threads here on bullshido. Remember, a trend is not the same as a few occurrences.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 7:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    If you provide sufficient evidence to back your claims, by all means you should publish your findings.
    The evidence I have is a combination of observation from the Persons facebook aswell as information from people who actually know him.

I do not know this person nor have I been to that country.

But according to this persons Facebook he is an instructor for FMA, JKD, Judo, Kickboxing, MMA and now BJJ. According to people who actually know him he has never travelled outside of his country to train for extensive periods of time in any of those sports or Arts. This is not always necessary to travel outside of ones country to find a legit instructor but if you knew this country you would understand why I am saying this. The country I am speaking about is Macedonia.

I will be emailing the black belt who promoted him to purple belt and asking him if his purple belt is legit.

So far the facts I have on this guy is this.

-He teaches and claims instructor status in JKD, FMA, Kickboxing, Wrestling, MMA and now a purple belt in BJJ.

-According to his a YOUTUBE video he posted in 2010 for an interview done on him and BJJ in his country he is wearing a Black Belt and a Jiu Jitsu kimono.

-According to his FB he got his Blue Belt in April and then 5 months later a Purple belt.

I do not care or know enough about the other arts he claims to teach but upon looking at his YOUTUBE channel if you go from Oldest Videos to newest videos uploaded you can see that it seems he changes arts like most people change their underwear.

Alot of his students and supporters claim that the proof is in the pudding and he has produced countless Medals in regional competitions through way of his students. This they say is proof that he is deserving of a purple belt. Upon further research of the competitions they competed in the brackets only had 2 or 3 people in them..

So therefore of course they are bound to get a medal of some sort. This to me does not constitute him worthy of getting a purple belt.

According to the photos on his own FB profile he gets a BJJ blue belt in April and a purple belt in October of the same year? Five months? According to the same FB photos in these five months he attends one-two BJJ seminars and thats it? No black belt trains him? I also cant find him competing anywhere, so I will assume no competitions? To top it all off in these 5 months besides the "super-training" BJJ he does he also does the other expert arts: FMA, MMA, JKD etc.? I will sum it up and correct me if I am wrong: 5 months from blue to purple, 2 BJJ seminars, no instructor, no competitions, self-training BJJ and multi-training other arts. Raises some red flags ???

And the people who gave him his Blue and Purple are vouching for him and his school.

Also his instructor who fly's to his school in Macedonia awarded all his white belts a Blue belt around the same time as they awarded his Purple belt.

The person that awarded his blue belt is a Black Belt from Australia by the name of Robert Naumoski and He was awarded his Black belt by a Professor by the name of Paulo Guimaraes.

However the person who awarded him his purple belt and also apparently awarded This instructor his purple belt was Jorge Pereira.

Now all of these instructors are legit Black Belts.

But it seems that the reason behind awarding this guy a purple belt in such a short time is to gain a foot hold in a country which has little BJJ schools. And also to keep lining their pockets from doing seminars.

Here is a few of his videos from his YOUTUBE channel

This is an interview in 2010 showing him wearing a Black Belt and Jiu Jitsu Gi talking about BJJ in his country. The name of the country is Macedonia. And now in 2013 he is a Purple belt ??? Red Flags anyone ???

( I cant Post a link to the youtube video ) but just youtube search IVICA ALEKSOVSKI and find his youtube channel. go to his videos and go from Oldest to newest and you will find the video.

It just does not seem right that Legit Black Belts would award this guy a purple belt. I can think of no other reason for this other than its a business decision.

This annoys the hell out of me as I worked my ass off to get my belt.

I actually do have other information on this guy but this is information from other people who actually live in that country and also have dealing with him.

According to them this guy goes out of his way to discredit any other BJJ school or any other school which teaches any of the many styles he teaches. He also talks alot of smack about other martial artist that he has never met in real life.

He has never himself competed in any competitions even though he claims to have competed in Judo / MMA / Karate etc etc.

It seems that this guy was fake from the start but then at some point contacted and flew in some legit BJJ Black belts to expand. He also seems to have done the same thing with the many other arts he claims to teach.
    Last edited by ChessMan; 7/12/2013 7:23pm at .

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 7:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically its seems that this guy was a fraud from the start. But then at some point he decides to try and be legit. However in his quest to become legit he finds himself a black belt willing and ready to grade him super fast as long as he pays for some seminars ???

Is this being done often by Black Belts who are actually legit ?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a friend who wants to teach BJJ in North Korea.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think thats a good thing. But I also think like everyone else in the sport he should train get his belt through a legit black belt.. Now I am assuming there is no legit black belts in North Korea. In this case he should do some kind of distant learning and grade in person where he can... I also know that he wont and should not go from white to blue and blue to purple belt in 5 months... especially if he is doing some kind of distant learning program

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, but I start Judo on Monday and I'm excited. A bit expensive, though.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am curious as to why a guy in London is fretting over a guy in Macedonia especially when you think Macedonia is an obscure country to boot.

There are local BJJ black belts he could have trained under in country. I am not saying he is legit but I need more than its Macedonia to right him off.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast