Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 5:26am

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Did my own stunts on my first movie the other day.

The title speaks for itself, this new editor sucks btw. And hey bullshido long time no talk.

Anyone a fan of the 70s, 80s I play a monster opposite from Lee Majors and michael biehn in a western flick coming out in Christmas. This is a new line of work for me. How I got the role was some guy asked me while I was getting a few rounds in a room full of punch bags if I wanted to do it.

I agreed, but I didn't know what I signed up for. Lol.....

So on set I was covered in shoe polish and Vaseline for two days straight...it was fun for overall.. However I learned a valuable lessons:

****. The. Ground.

i helped arrange the fight choreography, there is nothing flashy I put in the fight sequences, I used aikido, jiujitsu, and judo, I go back in for editing in a few weeks so I'm thinking I'm going to add bjj ground-n-pound techniques for homage.(oh yeah, I do a superman punch with a knife but that's it)

in the role of the monster I wanted to give the audience something more than just some karateka monster or a kickboxer.

what I didn't think about was how many takes and how many times I was going to get shoulder thrown, wrist thrown, etc. on the ground.

I learned a new lesson that day, punches and kicks aren't so bad, but when you get thrown onto hard pavement, or non-padded wooden warehouse. You may as well be fucked.

Afterwards the following two weeks I couldn't sleep/workout due to this wood floor gash on my back knees and elbows.

overall I had fun, being on set was surreal of an actual movie, not some youtube or short film. I wanted to share my learning experience with you all and if you knew this before me good for you: once you get slammed on the ground you may as well be fucked. Unless you're a ninja turtle or something.
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 11:37am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Movie title please....?

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 11:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    Movie title please....?
    Jacka--oh, that's taken.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to say this and I'm glad you had fun, but a lot of what you're describing here is thoroughly unprofessional film making.

Being recruited as a stuntman by some guy in a gym sounds like a desperation move by a cowboy (as in, riding by the seat of its pants) flick in trouble.

You should *never* have received those injuries; the costume and/or the falling surface should have been padded. Requiring an employee to take those risks without offering that protection is exploitative and negligent.

I hope you were well paid ...
    Last edited by DdlR; 7/11/2013 4:38pm at .

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice whip.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing this is the film?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249119/

Look, as a guy who's been doing this semi-professionally for a couple years now, you've got to be careful about this kind of stuff. And this goes for anyone else that gets approached by indie filmmakers, too! Most people get the idea that all martial arts are the same, and that if they find you in an MMA gym, you must be good enough to put fights in their movies.

This really isn't the place to talk about martial arts for sparring vs for demo teams vs for stage vs for film, but I do want to talk about SAFETY. I don't know what your situation was, but I'd like to know if they had you sign any waivers or disclaimers or such. They look like a mid-sized studio, so it could go either way. Insurance is a HUGE deal with movies, and if they didn't have insurance for you, there could be a lot of trouble if you find out later that you've got lasting injuries.

KOMA'S STUNT RULE NUMBER ONE: ALWAYS KNOW THE INSURANCE SITUATION.

Not saying that you shouldn't do it if they don't have insurance (as a lot of smaller studios can't afford that), but knowing the situation will help you decide what you feel comfortable doing.

KOMA'S STUNT RULE NUMBER TWO: ONLY DO AS MUCH AS YOU FEEL SAFE DOING.

Falling on concrete sucks. If you've got good breakfall training, you can make it last, but it will always suck. That said, if they don't have crashpads or bodypads and they expect you to be doing falls for hours on end, you've got to know when to draw the line. Remember that hospital bills are likely to be MUCH higher than whatever they're paying you. If the safety protocols don't feel right to you, DON'T DO IT. Stunts are a form of prostitution, you are selling your body and your body's abilities. If you break your tools, you can't keep working (plus it kinda sucks to get injured/killed).

KOMA'S STUNT RULE NUMBER THREE: HAVE FRIENDS ON DECK.

It can be really easy to get pressured by the other people on set into doing stuff you don't feel 100% about if you're by yourself. Having someone to look out for you and watch your back could very well save your life. If you're performing, you can't see yourself doing the job. An outside perspective will be beneficial to the quality of the stunts as well as keeping you alert to possible risks. Stunts are about creating the illusion of danger only, we want to minimize any potential threats of actual harm.

Anyhow, I hope this is informative to anyone else that's thinking of getting involved in movies. Smackjack, I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you get checked out by a medical professional just in case. Everyone else, if you decide you want to help people make a movie, remember my three rules and stay safe!
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    I'm guessing this is the film?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249119/
    It looks like this guy would have been the stunt co-ordinator: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0122702/ .

If so, I'm really shocked that someone with that amount of experience would allow this sort of reckless stuntwork on his watch.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 4:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: You jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shady at best. You're NOT a stunt pro, yet hired by and put to work with a professional stunt coordinator? Please, do I understand correctly?

If so, this is something I've not seen in 25 years in the business (the last 13 of which have been strictly rigging for stunts and flying).

Perhaps this is the set in question on the Facebook of Shawn S Welling. (I can't post links yet. So kill me )

Falls, of any kind, without padding or mats to land on are simply not done in my experience.

If anyone else out there ever runs into this sort of come on, I recommend you walk away.

Maybe I'm wrong, hope I am. Would like to hear more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 9:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No no, I was up for it. We ended up using pads for some scenes. It was a lot of fun, I don't mean to come off as a complainer. I would do it again. Also a release was signed and I was paid.
    And no it wasn't "just scouted some guy at a gym" I communicated with the people of the film before and told them I worked entertainment, did martial arts. Etc. and offered my services(for photography). Then I was asked for the film project after demonstrating some acrobatics.

Yes I'm experienced in break falls, but you don't see me doin't shoulder rolls on concrete.
    I enjoyed it. Period. All in all it would save face and trouble to not go through the effort of contacting the people who were in production of the film.

I was 100% for it. This thread was of an experience share than it is a venting or complaint.

I've seen stunts using people falling on concrete, and such. Also thrown through walls and on tables, granted the tables were already semi broken and the walls also thin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 9:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedb004 View Post
    Shady at best. You're NOT a stunt pro, yet hired by and put to work with a professional stunt coordinator? Please, do I understand correctly?

If so, this is something I've not seen in 25 years in the business (the last 13 of which have been strictly rigging for stunts and flying).

Perhaps this is the set in question on the Facebook of Shawn S Welling. (I can't post links yet. So kill me )

Falls, of any kind, without padding or mats to land on are simply not done in my experience.

If anyone else out there ever runs into this sort of come on, I recommend you walk away.

Maybe I'm wrong, hope I am. Would like to hear more.
    Not trying to become a "stunt pro" by any sorts, and also the stunt coordinator and I communicated well about the scenes, everyone on set did a great job. I know a slew of martial arts, I was on a demo team for some time, so I used that base of experience to help with the production.
    After I was done, the production team was happy because i put my entire effort into it, and we got positive results. As for Shawn, the only thing you would be doing by contacting him is inhibiting more work from him in the future(to me) so I would appreciative if you took that into respect :).

But if you want some photography done by hi go ahead. He's a great photographer, and dance instructor.

As I said before I don't want to be a nagging nancy but for my first run it was fun. It's been a few weeks since filming and now in post production, I feel 100% recovered ready to tackle it again for editing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast