Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 4:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That thinking doesn't hold true for everyone. I think it is a bigger problem than many people think. Heck this guy is ready to escalate no matter the device.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Seriously dude, you need to go get anger management classes and a psyche evaluation. No, this isn't meant as an insult. To be in fear of taking someone's life and going to jail over a "flipped bird" or other inane **** is ridiculous.

No, I don't care if your parents are elderly, mine are as well, and people are just stupid. You need to take care of that before spending money on anything else IMO.
    Yes, i agree.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That thinking doesn't hold true for everyone. I think it is a bigger problem than many people think. Heck this guy is ready to escalate no matter the device.
    Yeah, my phrasing was too absolute. But who wouldn't want to stab a self-righteous bike hipster?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 5:19pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yeah, my phrasing was too absolute. But who wouldn't want to stab a self-righteous bike hipster?
    Me. I'd rather run him over.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 5:51pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously dude, you need to go get anger management classes and a psyche evaluation. No, this isn't meant as an insult. To be in fear of taking someone's life and going to jail over a "flipped bird" or other inane **** is ridiculous.

No, I don't care if your parents are elderly, mine are as well, and people are just stupid. You need to take care of that before spending money on anything else IMO. I disagree wholeheartedly, especially in this situation.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. Which is why I am moving this thread from the Armory to YMAS. Being concerned for your personal safety (especially in DC) = normal. What the OP is describing = not normal.

Seriously dude, talk to a therapist. This is not me making fun of you. This is me hoping you will get help before you kill someone. Or more likely, get yourself killed.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 7:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No, I don't care if your parents are elderly, mine are as well, and people are just stupid. You need to take care of that before spending money on anything else IMO. I disagree wholeheartedly, especially in this situation.

I think whatís being lost in the situation is that the guy not only flipped the bird and screamed obscenities he also brandished a weapon.

He was also completely in the wrong for riding in between the cars to shave some time off his commute.

I would just approach him and say, ďHey, thatís an old man youíre talking to. Have some respect for your elders. You were operating your bike illegally he was minding his own business obeying the law.Ē

Iíve been taught before a fight to say, loudly so people around can hear: ďI donít want to fight you.Ē This both offers the person a way out should they so choose. And, provides you with potential witnesses should things get out of hand. Youíll have people at the scene able to say in court that you tried to de-escalate the circumstances.

The problem is when the guy says back ďF you A-hole you want a problem?Ē and then swings with his deadly weapon. Am I not supposed to produce my own weapon at that point and defend myself?

I donít know if we even had anything in the car to hit wrench guy with. I was just going to take my chances.

But Iíve been in a situation where I had a carry permit in the state and my life was potentially in danger and I thought about it in that split second and decided Iíd rather take that L and live out in the free world than leave it to be settled at trial.

I think that displays self-control.

Iíve also been in several fist-fights where I had a gun on me and didnít pull it, I just went with hand to hand. Thatís not a maniac or killer.

Iím also not into any of that kick a guy while heís down stuff or any other dirty fighting that is more likely to lead to longer term disabilities. One good thing about my background boxing is that youíre taught to respect your opponent. My goal isnít to maim a person a person just defeat them.

I agree maybe Iím more prone to thoughts of violence than the average citizen, but I grew up here when it was the murder capital of the wild west. Iíve seen some horrible stuff multiple shootings, just tons of stuff. I was losing classmates as early as elementary school. The clubs I went to as a teen were death traps by anyoneís definition.

But the reality is my last ďviolent encounterĒ was over a year ago in a private home at a gathering where everyone was severely inebriated. The guy wanted to fight because I beat him at arm wrestling. I begged and pleaded my way out of it but it wasnít going to happen. I had numerous opportunities to grab objects and hit him with them. But I didnít. I think I have pretty good sense.

There have been close encounters (the couple at the movie theater who wouldnít stop talking and texting, the dad who let his big kids run rip shod over my little baby, but for the most part Iíve gotten over that. I shush the couple politely as possible. I move my kids away from those older bullies. I do what I can to avoid the situation in the first place.

Despite perhaps typing like a lunatic, Iíve been baptized and really chilled out.

I wish all weapons were out and we just had to settle it with the knuckles. But I realize thatís not the case. Iím getting older and calmer which is why I asked about the pepper spray.

I really am looking for ways to avoid situations not get into them. I donít put myself in environments like oneís I came from. I stay away from the ruckus. If itís an absolute must, I am looking for ways out of the situation that arenít permanent, or seriously harmful.

Since so many have said maybe I should seek help maybe I shall. Whatís funny is I am able to let comments about myself slide off relatively easily (considering the source and all.) I think itís a case of over-typing and pent up frustration with the laws of DC that so favor criminals who have every gun imaginable vs. us guys who just want a church home, a relationship with our friends and family, and wholesome activities to participate in.

But threats and certain body language, especially accompanied by the brandishing of potential when my parents are involved or kids and yes I can lose my cool.

I had a middle-aged woman pull up aggressively upon side the car and yell angrily at my father (for committing a traffic indecency that he didnít) while my kid was in the back seat and my mom was on the passenger side (we were leaving a sporting event) and she was in total shock when she was met with curse words in return. As if she was the only one allowed to use that language.

It was like she had no understanding of the fact that when she pulled up aggressively and closely to the car she was speaking a universal language of aggression and initiating a potentially violent situation. I thought there was a chance we were going to be fired upon. Itís not unheard of in this town. I donít even think she realized that her plan to pull up and cuss out an old man (veteran marine mind you) in front of his family (a former school teacher), their adult son, and a young child, with no repercussions went south quick when until I invited her to step out of her car and give me a reason.

Is that me being crazy? I donít think so. Weíve all got a little bit of crazy in us. Watch a nature program and look what happens when you get too close to a Grizzly Bearís kids or even a pelicanís for that matter.

Iím not looking for trouble but if it looks for me Iíd like to handle it in a non-permanently damaging way that allows me to avoid seriously injuring the other party and prosecution.

Sorry if I seem odd from the above. Thereís a lot of oddballs on the internet. Iím just trying to do things the right way and by the books.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 9:15pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by unarmedinDC View Post
    I have pretty bad rage issues.
    I would pretty much be wishing someone would give me a reason to use it. and yes that's a terrible thing to say. But when someone gives my dad/mom the finger or cusses them (they're elderly) or pulls some bullshit when I'm with my kid I lose it completely.
    No, nothing is lost.
    This isn't cherry picking these are your own words.

I had a middle-aged woman pull up aggressively upon side the car and yell angrily at my father (for committing a traffic indecency that he didnít) while my kid was in the back seat and my mom was on the passenger side (we were leaving a sporting event) and she was in total shock when she was met with curse words in return. As if she was the only one allowed to use that language.

It was like she had no understanding of the fact that when she pulled up aggressively and closely to the car she was speaking a universal language of aggression and initiating a potentially violent situation. I thought there was a chance we were going to be fired upon. Itís not unheard of in this town. I donít even think she realized that her plan to pull up and cuss out an old man (veteran marine mind you) in front of his family (a former school teacher), their adult son, and a young child, with no repercussions went south quick when until I invited her to step out of her car and give me a reason.
    No, I am not this "crazy" and no, not everyone has this type of crazy in them. Let me point out how absurd this sounds. You are worried about being fired upon, but ask someone to step out of the car? Do you realize how illogical that sounds? I am a father and your rage is going to make your son fatherless one way or another. Quit looking for excuses and go talk to someone.

I am going to avoid gender bias, but that is another entire argument in and of itself.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/12/2013 9:26pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3) Is there some other self defense tool that I'm not thinking of that might be useful to have?
    Stun gauntlets:

Regular gauntlets:

Phasers:

You're set.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2013 3:33pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I am worried about with a knife is you can't pull it unless the other person is armed too. So if Gunman X pulls his strap on me, I would be hesitant to pull my knife on him. And if all he's doing is beating me with his fists (which I doubt would happen since I'm bad ass lol) I can't pull the knife because that would put the onus of the results (murder/attempted murder) on me.
    Yeah, in most places unless you can reasonably demonstrate that you were in fear for your life you're going to have a hard time justifying using lethal force on a mugger / drunk guy trying to fight you / aggro bike messenger. And in the majority of cases where you could demonstrate that (they have a gun or a knife and are brandishing it) you're probably better off coughing up your wallet or just running the hell away rather than digging out a knife or you OC spray. In your particuluar case I think you need to chill out and worry about self defense way less since you consider harsh language a cause for beating someone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 3:23pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think whatís being lost in the situation is that the guy not only flipped the bird and screamed obscenities he also brandished a weapon.

He was also completely in the wrong for riding in between the cars to shave some time off his commute.
    While I don't support the biker's brandishing a weapon, it is completely legal in DC to ride in between cars. People like to pick on bicyclists in DC because they're new and different, but bikers aren't any worse on the road than drivers or pedestrians.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast