Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 11:25pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    Now I'm not a doctor; I'll leave that for Dr Awesome. But the answer to this I might be able to help with.

The brain sits in fluid inside the skull - kind of like free floating ball if you will. As the skull moves around the brain shifts freely.

Concussion occurs when the impact force on the skull is enough so that the transfer of force pushes the brain into the skull ...
    At least - that's the way I understand it. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ok, first, your lead-in made me spit some of my drink up laughing. Second, we are only right now starting to develop a better picture of brain injury, and the pieces of the puzzle are starting to make a lot more sense than they did before. The new picture pits "diffuse axonal injury" as the primary culprit in athletes... which basically means we are stretching and tearing the axons throughout the entire brain (rather than smashing them).

Here is a summary I put together on the topic:
    http://theamazingdoctorawesome.blogs...get-brain.html

Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Many years ago I read a paper written by a brain surgeon who was at least semi-seriously proposing a return to bare knuckle boxing rules as a way to reduce brain injuries among boxers.

As I recall, his argument was that without gloves or head protection fighters would be expected to give and receive fewer punches to the skull due to their hands giving out. They would also have shorter boxing careers (again, re. cumulative damage to their hands) and, with the option of standing grappling and throwing from the clinch, there would be fewer punches thrown per round.
    Yup. I've read a few too. Up until recently, however, we have not had a clear enough picture of how brain damage happens to make reasonable conclusions, so it was mostly just stipulation from a few smart people. Today we can say with reasonable certainty that boxing gloves (and to a lesser extent MMA gloves) put you at higher risk for brain damage.

Here is another shameless link to my blog where I cover boxing gloves:
    http://theamazingdoctorawesome.blogs...lusion-of.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 11:56pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    Ok, first, your lead-in made me spit some of my drink up laughing. Second, we are only right now starting to develop a better picture of brain injury, and the pieces of the puzzle are starting to make a lot more sense than they did before. The new picture pits "diffuse axonal injury" as the primary culprit in athletes... which basically means we are stretching and tearing the axons throughout the entire brain (rather than smashing them).

Here is a summary I put together on the topic:
    http://theamazingdoctorawesome.blogs...get-brain.html
    Thanks for the link. And glad the humor didn't go to waste. When was this stuff released? Is it fairly new. I just tend to browse over this stuff and gloss over it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 2:27pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    Thanks for the link. And glad the humor didn't go to waste. When was this stuff released? Is it fairly new. I just tend to browse over this stuff and gloss over it.
    Yea, it's all very new. It's only in the last couple years we've developed blood tests and MRIs capable of spotting traumatic brain injury... before then you basically had to wait for someone to die before you could really get in there and check it out. I'm sure (or at least I hope), over the next few years, we will make a lot of progress in this area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 8:50pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine is petitioning the NSW government (Australia) at the moment as they have passed regulations in regards to amateur Muay Thai and Kick boxers having to wear Head Gear now in their fights and yet they allow amateur MMA to fight with out head gear hypocrisy at best.
    Link Below.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ThoseAga...gHeadgearInNsw
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123