Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 2:40pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No requirement for competition to advance where I am, this is something that varies from country to country. Just glancing through the Swedish federation rules, there is no competition requirement for coloured belts and for dan rank you can choose the option of competitive or technical exam. So overall there is no strict need to compete, although I would recommend giving it a go. In your case you would be starting late and most of the people your age would be unfair competition for you, but in some tournaments they have beginner's divisions which would be suitable.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 3:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cleaned and RA was informed. You KNOW he is harsher at bans and punishment than I am.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121357

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 3:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You are the last person on Bullshido who should be judging anyone's maturity.

Again, if anyone thinks when I say "throw hard" referring to judo I mean to hurt someone, **** you. I thought we were on Bullshido.

NeilG is the ONLY person here qualified to say I'm wrong, so to him I tip my hat.
    I am too and you are absolutely wrong. You have no qualifications or experience to even consider teaching Judo, or even deal with Hadzu's issue in a specific judo/ju jitsu way.

Despite Hadzu's relative maturity and decent descriptions, it's difficult to render a detailed decision on how to deal with his situation, as we have not heard the other side of the story, or observed their training. I'm not really clear on exactly what/how he trains.

Throwing someone "hard" in Judo covers a lot of range, one which I seriously doubt Hadzu understands or had the control to do, given he wrote he does not work that much on nage waza at this point. That equals low control which can equate to injury.

We do NOT always throw "hard" in Judo, it all depends on the specific context. I don't slam white belts around even if their ukemi is decent.

I can throw damned hard and fast, but I rarely do that outside of my serious, experienced competitors, even then I don't throw them and land on them if I can help it, and in any case they can handle it if I do.

Finally, throwing a wimpy, inexperienced guy "hard" who doesn't even really train nage waza as we do in Judo is just plain stupid.

You need to quit pimping your judo experience, for sure on anything that has to do with instruction, even more so on safety.

Wabbit wrote:"I don't try to instruct people on proper judo technique on Bullshido. But I know enough about judo and judo injuries to know what I meant when I said "Throw him hard until he leaves, or decides to become better at what he's doing."

You know jack ****...STFU.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 4:08pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Why don't you want to compete?

You're already tallying a record with your classmate.
    Funny. I can't say exactly why, but I dislike the competition environment, I hate competitive team-sports, and as such I gravitated towards a non-team-based, typically non-competitive hobby. It simply doesn't interest me. It barely seems worth pointing out, but I would make a distinction between participating in an official competition and me keeping track of how well I can do in order to attempt to beat this completely non-serious record (i.e competing with myself) to get the time to go by.

/Erik

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Funny. I can't say exactly why, but I dislike the competition environment, I hate competitive team-sports, and as such I gravitated towards a non-team-based, typically non-competitive hobby. It simply doesn't interest me.
    Competitive martial arts tend to have a whole lot less people like the one you described at the beginning of the thread. Also, competition may be more appealing to you after a few years of practice with the basics.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course you'll hurt someone throwing them hard when said person is an indifferent teen who puts no effort into training and complains all the time. Don't throw hard.

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 5:17pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competition in judo is an excellent way to test your skill. Train in the dojo all you like, but it will never match the intensity of competition. That's where you really find out if you can make your techniques work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 5:25pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NeilG and Permalost, you're both making good points. I understand there are a lot of advantages to competition, and I might warm up to the concept once I have any amount of confidence in my abilities; that'd be a few years down the line, though. I suppose that just leaves the matter of finding a good Judo club, the first logical stop being the JJJ/Judo club I already practice at. I'll talk to a few of my Judo-practicing friends in the club, ask them about the Judo-side of the operation.

/Erik

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Funny. I can't say exactly why, but I dislike the competition environment, I hate competitive team-sports, and as such I gravitated towards a non-team-based, typically non-competitive hobby. It simply doesn't interest me.
    I think you might want to re-examine this.

It barely seems worth pointing out, but I would make a distinction between participating in an official competition and me keeping track of how well I can do in order to attempt to beat this completely non-serious record (i.e competing with myself) to get the time to go by.

/Erik

That distinction is exactly my point.
    Getting in more reps with a ragdoll isn't nearly as good of a metric for "keeping track of how well you can do" as official competition would be.

If your implication is that your record has no value other than "passing the time", then i suggest the distinction between that and competition is even more relevant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2013 5:51pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm extremely uncompetitive. I do comps for 2 reasons, the first is that my wife is very competitive, so I show up to support her. The second, is to learn. My most recent experience was a Judo comp where I got completely dominated and ipponed very quickly. I learned a TON from those 2 minutes of combined action though, so it was well worth it. Winning is fun, but it's hardly my motivation. Anyway, just offering a different, less competitively minded view of competition.

As for your comments about your record of subs... As a BJJ guy, I get nothing out of **** housing noobs. The point of rolling, imho, is that you, and your partner, are learning. If you're finding it extremely easy to sub the guy, then play catch and release, or skip the easy stuff. Don't grab the kimura, spin all the around for the arm bar, or whatever else.

Having trained for a while, I've dealt with many similar partners. It can be frustrating when your partner is not taking the training as seriously as you are. Has anyone brought it to his attention that his attitude is preventing his partners from getting good training? I have seen improvements when people just didn't realize that they're lackadaisical attitude was preventing his partner from training correctly. It's one thing to goof off at the expense of your own training experience, it's another to do it at someone else's expense.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast