Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    587
    Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is all becoming very confused, guys, but just to summarize:

    1. I do NOT do Judo (about 20% of my training is Nage Waza at present)
    2. I do NOT do BJJ (about 10% of my training is Ne Waza)
    3. When I say that I try training at the same level with him as with anyone else in the club, this does not include throwing people "hard", it means I try to execute the technique properly (which is hard when you have a spaghetti-Uke, but I try my best).
    4. I'm not actually pissed/irritated or anything, I just think I've given people some wrong impressions that I want to clear up. Thanks for your input thus far, guys!

    /Erik

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    703
    Style
    BJJ
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    This is all becoming very confused, guys, but just to summarize:

    1. I do NOT do Judo (about 20% of my training is Nage Waza at present)
    2. I do NOT do BJJ (about 10% of my training is Ne Waza)
    3. When I say that I try training at the same level with him as with anyone else in the club, this does not include throwing people "hard", it means I try to execute the technique properly (which is hard when you have a spaghetti-Uke, but I try my best).
    4. I'm not actually pissed/irritated or anything, I just think I've given people some wrong impressions that I want to clear up. Thanks for your input thus far, guys!

    /Erik
    Hey brah, listen to Neil G. his advice is good for what ever it is you are doing.

    Be helpful when you can, hell try to make friends with him (that alone can do wonders for someone that may not want to be there, don't go out of your way but try a little). Most importantly, don't let him harsh your mellow and try to have fun and learn, even if he is being a limp noodle.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    587
    Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Hey brah, listen to Neil G. his advice is good for what ever it is you are doing.

    Be helpful when you can, hell try to make friends with him (that alone can do wonders for someone that may not want to be there, don't go out of your way but try a little). Most importantly, don't let him harsh your mellow and try to have fun and learn, even if he is being a limp noodle.
    Yeah, I guess that's the short of it; the BB and instructor-tags on NeilG's account gave me the impression that he's worth listening to, so I think I might just take his advice. As a further note, by the way, practice is on a temporary hiatus over the summer, so I'll be unable to put some of these ideas into practice (no pun intended) for another month or so. I'll definitely try to talk with him more, we've had a few fun conversations but they tend to get broken up by training; guess I'll have to tear myself away from the guys and try to include him in the group more before/after training.

    I've gotten a lot of great responses on here, I hope I haven't offended anyone (and if I have, sorry) and I thank you all for your input, disagreements aside. I'll play it cool and be supportive, is the gist of what I've gathered from all of this, and that was more or less the game plan beforehand, but it's good to get other perspectives in these situations.

    /Erik

  4. #34
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,889
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    This is all becoming very confused, guys, but just to summarize:

    1. I do NOT do Judo (about 20% of my training is Nage Waza at present)
    2. I do NOT do BJJ (about 10% of my training is Ne Waza)
    So what's the majority 70% of your jujutsu if not nage waza or ne waza?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    703
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You haven't offended no one brah, and if you have well they are the ones that should unbunch their fucking panties.

    You asked something that is very valid, and quite frankly it's refreshing to see a "youngster" to have the foresight to even ask.

  6. #36
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,748
    Style
    Kendo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's the short of it; the BB and instructor-tags on NeilG's account gave me the impression that he's worth listening to, so I think I might just take his advice.
    Thanks for the confidence but the #1 person you should be listening to is your instructor.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    587
    Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    So what's the majority 70% of your jujutsu if not nage waza or ne waza?
    At my rank, it's mostly a lot of joint-locks, grip-breaking and striking, but throws begin to be a larger part of the curriculum as you grade up. To give an idea of how it works (and I'm sure this will seem like preaching to the choir for the majority of you, who probably know this stuff), every belt rank has a specific list of techniques that need to be demonstrated at a test to qualify for the next grade; however, these requirements are cumulative, so when testing for 1st Dan you will still have to demonstrate the same techniques that you did at 6th Kyu, but at a much higher level of quality; 6th Kyu (white belt in the system) has no throws to speak of, 5th only has a reap or two, but from 4th and up you start seeing more proper throws, you Ogoshi's and whatnot (and of course people still *train* throws at lower belt grades, they just won't be testing on them just yet). So in short, that percentage is only applicable to my current rank and not the system in full.

    /Erik

  8. #38
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,748
    Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joint locks are newaza, at least under judo terminology. Pins, chokes and locks together comprise judo newaza.

  9. #39
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    10,932
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Joint locks are newaza, at least under judo terminology. Pins, chokes and locks together comprise judo newaza.
    Join locks, pins, and chokes are katame waza in Judo. Chokes and many joint locks can be done in a standing position, so are not specifically ne waza. Pins in Judo at least all occur while in ne waza, though.

    Ne waza is a lot more than just katame waza applied on the ground, it is how you move, position, enter the techniques (katame waza) while in the ne waza position.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  10. #40
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's the short of it; the BB and instructor-tags on NeilG's account gave me the impression that he's worth listening to, so I think I might just take his advice. As a further note, by the way, practice is on a temporary hiatus over the summer, so I'll be unable to put some of these ideas into practice (no pun intended) for another month or so. I'll definitely try to talk with him more, we've had a few fun conversations but they tend to get broken up by training; guess I'll have to tear myself away from the guys and try to include him in the group more before/after training.

    I've gotten a lot of great responses on here, I hope I haven't offended anyone (and if I have, sorry) and I thank you all for your input, disagreements aside. I'll play it cool and be supportive, is the gist of what I've gathered from all of this, and that was more or less the game plan beforehand, but it's good to get other perspectives in these situations.

    /Erik
    It's mostly my fault.

    But, if you understand why this thread has motivated me to finish my judo shodan so that I don't offer poor advice, you'll understand Bullshido perfectly.

    I really did feel from the beginning that you had already figured out your own problem, sorry if my rhetoric was a bit pointed. I was born with a sharp tongue.

    Now please, go train.

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO