Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 3:34pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    @ Eddie Hardon: That's inspirational, man; our club places great emphasis on including people, regardless of age (barring some extremes), gender, disabilities, or any other exterior conditions. It's very motivational to hear of people that work through these seemingly unconquerable challenges and I agree that if there's a will, there's a way (the problem with Billy being, of course, that he currently isn't very motivated). Thanks for the uplifting story, man.
    Well, the rule has been that Anyone and Everyone is entitled to train. The only exception has been haemophiliacs. From a course last year, I was told that even those suffering from haemophilia are entitled to train and I must think of a way to allow it.

That left me speechless. I'd be reluctant to teach a haemophiliac even on Factor 8, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 7/14/2013 3:35pm at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 3:58pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Well, the rule has been that Anyone and Everyone is entitled to train. The only exception has been haemophiliacs. From a course last year, I was told that even those suffering from haemophilia are entitled to train and I must think of a way to allow it.

That left me speechless. I'd be reluctant to teach a haemophiliac even on Factor 8, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Martial arts have always appealed to me because of how it (typically) doesn't facilitate ego; even more competition-focused martial arts like Judo, as I understand it, are about learning about yourself, seeing what you fail at in order to better yourself. If you lose a soccer match you can think "Damn it, we would've won if the guys on my team were all as good as me!", whereas if you lose in MA, it's kinda on you. That said, and I hope you will excuse my cheesiness, I think the only one you're really competing with in martial arts is yourself. One of the core tenets of Ju-Jutsu Kai, which is literally in the ruleset of the system, is "everyone should be able to train Ju-Jutsu", and if it wasn't I'm not sure it's something I'd want to train in myself.

/Erik

PS. The hemophilia-bit seems very tricky if that is indeed a situation that arises, best of luck if that is ever the case.
    Last edited by Hadzu; 7/14/2013 4:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 7:48pm

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I see it, is you are much stronger than this young man. You can try giving him pointers on what he should be doing in open sparring. Maybe put yourself in bad positions on purpose and work your way out.

He could be discouraged because you submit him 14 times in 5 minutes. He might be dreading going up against you to suffer merciless domination and sees no point in even trying. So instead of going even harder to motivate him, you could try going softer.

I normally wouldn't suggest this, because hey ..harden the **** up, but in this case it seems to fit for some reason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 8:07pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    The way I see it, is you are much stronger than this young man. You can try giving him pointers on what he should be doing in open sparring. Maybe put yourself in bad positions on purpose and work your way out.

He could be discouraged because you submit him 14 times in 5 minutes. He might be dreading going up against you to suffer merciless domination and sees no point in even trying. So instead of going even harder to motivate him, you could try going softer.

I normally wouldn't suggest this, because hey ..harden the **** up, but in this case it seems to fit for some reason.
    Yeah, maybe that's smarter; the thing that discourages me from this is simply that I've seen many in the club try this approach (myself included at some points), and all you get in return is an awkward smirk and some mumbling, so giving tips tends to be unproductive. Kinda trying all approach angles at this juncture, however, so I maybe I'll try the more instructive route (which I've been reluctant to take because we've previously had the same rank and he's been training longer than myself, but since I outrank him at present it might seem less douchy now).

On the subject of putting myself in bad positions, would it be acceptable to give him the mount or a similar advantageous position so I can work from there, or would that be seen as arrogant/bad manners/some such?

Minor thing, by the way, but when you say that I'm stronger than him I presume you don't mean it in a physical sense (we're both wiry little stick-boys, though I'm a bit taller I believe), 'cause I couldn't win an arm-wrestling match with my grandma, I'm pretty measly where physical strength is concerned. Not that you'd have any way of knowing that, of course, so I digress.

/Erik

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 12:24am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know the protocol in your club but in judo its perfectly acceptable to give your uke a good position, understanding that you are working on fighting from there. It is free practice - your goal is to learn, not win.

"Stronger" can mean many things other than physical strength.

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 1:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This part;

I submit him, he complains that getting Kimura'd hurts, I repeat this as much as the time-limit allows (my record is around 12-14 times in 5 minutes)
    concerns me a bit.

Perhaps your instructor realizes that you have passion and while you might not actually break anything on Billy, maybe he is hoping that you'll help him instead of simply rag-dolling him, and that you'll both benefit and grow from that experience.

Just a thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    This part;

concerns me a bit.

Perhaps your instructor realizes that you have passion and while you might not actually break anything on Billy, maybe he is hoping that you'll help him instead of simply rag-dolling him, and that you'll both benefit and grow from that experience.

Just a thought.
    A very understandable thought, I realize it probably sounds a little overly brutal from an outsider's perspective. Allow me to underscore that this approach developed over the last 1-2 months, after more than half a year of trying to help him, giving pointers, going easy on him and feeling my own skills atrophy. I noticed immediately that if I drilled one technique with him and then did the same technique with someone else, I would initially be unable to break their grip because I had gotten so used to a half-hearted attack. Finally, I kinda thought "screw it" and decided to train just as seriously with him as with anyone else in the club, thinking I'll lead by example, as it were. This, like all other approaches, has proven ineffective.

/Erik

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 10:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    A very understandable thought, I realize it probably sounds a little overly brutal from an outsider's perspective. Allow me to underscore that this approach developed over the last 1-2 months, after more than half a year of trying to help him, giving pointers, going easy on him and feeling my own skills atrophy. I noticed immediately that if I drilled one technique with him and then did the same technique with someone else, I would initially be unable to break their grip because I had gotten so used to a half-hearted attack. Finally, I kinda thought "screw it" and decided to train just as seriously with him as with anyone else in the club, thinking I'll lead by example, as it were. This, like all other approaches, has proven ineffective.

/Erik

You said you have a "record", i don't think that's a healthy or productive mindset in class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You said you have a "record", i don't think that's a healthy or productive mindset in class.

While that's true, the fact of the matter is that I'm very bored and understimulated when training with him and try to challenge myself in particular when rolling with him, since he poses no challenge himself. This isn't helping him and is in no way developing his own abilities or motivation, but (and I realize this is a very dickish line of thought) it isn't my responsibility to baby him into putting effort in.

In summary, you're right and your approach is much more mature and developmental. In hindsight, by the way, I might've made it sound like rolling is a much larger part of the training than it actually is, so it might not be as unhealthy as I made it out to be (Ne Waza might be 10-15 minutes out of a 90-minute class), but I digress.

/Erik

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/15/2013 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwing someone hard seems counterproductive towards making someone not want to lay motionless on the ground.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast