Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteofred View Post
    Seriously guys, I'm not saying I'm some sort of badass know-all. Al my original point was that from my experience that if you take a fight to the ground in a street situation, you end up getting your head stomped on.

I'll be honest, I expected much worse.
    I think I get what you mean man. My brother and I, we(I) had to run allot growing up. Kids hated us, being military brats.

Once we stood and fought back, it all stopped, and since we lived on base it was easy at night. Once we lived OFF base, I became a runner, unless one dude, but most of us hung with friends. Sometimes our choices of friends paid off, other times...chose poorly.

I wrestled as a kid, so it was so natural to just take em down and beat on them, squeeze the neck real hard and run away.

Never had a mob after me, so shitting my pants would be in order, I cannot fathom taking on more than one, perhaps two if impaired. I would be running rather than squeezing and snapping. Now, **** em, they are gonna get shot at. (Can I say that?)

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 3:08pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all this talk of stomping are we talking this?? : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stomp_5391.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	15204

Although I suppose ground fighting could be dangerous under the right conditions. : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	15205

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 3:30pm

Style: Escrima, JKD, Iaido, LINE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by -TANK- View Post
    I think I get what you mean man. My brother and I, we(I) had to run allot growing up. Kids hated us, being military brats.

Once we stood and fought back, it all stopped, and since we lived on base it was easy at night. Once we lived OFF base, I became a runner, unless one dude, but most of us hung with friends. Sometimes our choices of friends paid off, other times...chose poorly.

I wrestled as a kid, so it was so natural to just take em down and beat on them, squeeze the neck real hard and run away.

Never had a mob after me, so shitting my pants would be in order, I cannot fathom taking on more than one, perhaps two if impaired. I would be running rather than squeezing and snapping. Now, **** em, they are gonna get shot at. (Can I say that?)
    I agree, **** em, do what you have to. Ultimately it's you or them right?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the part I don't get about the "I know the REAL streets; you can't go to the ground there!" crowd: going to the ground when an opponent has a gang of friends is as stupid as fighting at all with an opponent who has a gang of friends. So, it seems like a bit of a moot point. Also, saying "don't get taken down!" is about as useful as telling a boxer "punch, but don't get punched!".

Remember when krav and ninjutsu and RBSD guys fought in the old UFC and NHB matches? I don't remember a single one who could stuff takedowns from ONE opponent, so I'm pretty skeptical of advice from similar guys who tell you how to avoid exponentially more takedown trouble.

In a college self defense class taught by a judo guy, we played a game where groups of four try to take down one person, who tries to flee. If the "attackers" had enough coordination to pick a limb, cling, and deadweight it, they'd be taken down soon enough.
    Last edited by Permalost; 7/09/2013 4:26pm at .

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 5:36pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    In a college self defense class taught by a judo guy, we played a game where groups of four try to take down one person, who tries to flee. If the "attackers" had enough coordination to pick a limb, cling, and deadweight it, they'd be taken down soon enough.
    hell, we did it as a zombie game, where the attackers have to move slowly, and they'd still always win.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 6:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread keeps making me think of a Discovery channel special on pack hunters.

"Sadly now, there can be but one outcome".

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/09/2013 6:31pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't remember a single one who could stuff takedowns from ONE opponent, so I'm pretty skeptical of advice from similar guys who tell you how to avoid exponentially more takedown trouble.
    Moti Horenstein stuffed the first shot from Mark Coleman. But then Coleman brought the Hammer down:

^Street.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, it should be noted that you don't need to be trained in grappling to end up in a grappling situation:

Also, a striking pedigree may not be enough to keep yourself from being taken to the ground by an untrained opponent:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 1:22pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if your opponent is the second incarnation of Mike Tyson in his prime and is beating the ever living hell out of you standing, why not try to tackle him? Because he has friends?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Run, run, run! If you can't run, hit and run! Then repeat until you get away. If you don't get away, your name is now Nancy, you belong to them. If they let you live you do their laundry, cook their meals, and darn their socks. Life choices can be so hard!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast