Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 2:32pm

Style: Escrima, JKD, Iaido, LINE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Streetfighting... you've done some of that then ?

Given it's your "golden rule" I'm gaining the impression from that, that this is something you're actively involved in.

Give me an example, if you'd be kind enough to indulge me when...

The last occasion you were required to street fight, and the circumstances of that situation where you'd found yourself unable to avoid it.

I ask because having spent a number of years employed within a role which required conflict resolution dealing with people whom, some of which, had little to lose from inflicting serious bodily harm, if not death on others, EVERY encounter ultimately ended up on the floor no matter how many people were involved.

There are three types of control mechanism which resolves human conflict.

1. AVOIDANCE
    2. PHYSICAL RESTRAINT
    3. INCAPACITY

- Avoidance is by far the best option but isn't always 100% in your control

- Physical Restraint requires you (or someone else) to retain a hold of some description but will often require that person to be prone for the restraint to be fully effective for any period of time.

- Incapacity of your opponent by KO

You're able to hit/kick or choke-out your opponent to the point where they have nothing left.

Now, unless we're training regularly in a system which is proven to fully function against opponents who are actively resisting what we wish to do to them, options 2 & 3 are actually incredibly difficult to achieve with any degree of consistency. Being able to choke-out means you're likely not being on your feet when you do it - so we're on the ground, high kicking is a risky option in many respects and you're not always in an environment where you can effectively do it. Finally, hitting a moving target whilst under stress and doing so effectively and hard enough within the first few seconds of conflict is likewise very difficult to achieve - more to the point you have no idea until you actually hit the individual for the first time, how they're going to cope/compensate your attempts at a KO strike.

What I've driving at here is there's no single solution at dealing with conflict.

In some respects I'm agreeing with the sentiments of your original post however, learning how to effectively deal with being taken to the ground, obtaining positional advantage, then being able to fight or flight from there is far better than just learning a stand up game... Because, every cuntfuck who looks for trouble of this sort will want to put you in, what they will inherently see as a position of disadvantage, by taking that **** to the floor. They may do this intentionally or subconsciously but in a game with no rules the floor provides the ideal place to stop someone from easy escape.
    Spending six of my teenage years growing up in one of the roughest parts of Liverpool, yeah I had to fight daily. Being a soft southern boy as I was at the time I was a constant target for almost anyone native to Liverpool who was in that thug culture.
    I've had more street fights than I care to think about, and unless you want to get jumped by more people you can count the golden rule back then was don't ever willingly take anything to the ground.
    As I said before, if you get taken down you need good ground game. I got some of that from Silat, the rest I improvise. (Bare in mind it was very, very rare I would be up against anyone with any formal combat training)
    Subsequent of these confrontations I found that if someone lays hands on you, tries to punch you (mainly sucker) and or knife you the quickest most direct defence for this is best. Then run your backside off as a gaggle of said attackers mates would be baring down on you.
    If you try any close quarters control stuff (i.e. locks, take downs, submission work) in an inner city street fight you are going to have someone come up behind you and put a blade in you. Chances are you wouldn't of even known they were there.
    I've lost a couple of friends to street fights, mainly because they tried to fight instead of just getting their attacker away from them and running away.
    You said you were in a profession that involved you street fighting. Though this means your responses were bound by the law.
    When your a 16 year old and you have 10 - 15 people wanting to stomp your head in, you do what you must.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 2:52pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteofred View Post
    You said you were in a profession that involved you street fighting.
    Actually I didn't.

I stated:
    ...having spent a number of years employed within a role which required conflict resolution dealing with people whom, some of which, had little to lose from inflicting serious bodily harm, if not death on others
    I was referring to my time as a discipline officer within CAT A Prison establishments.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 5:44pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you end up on the ground in Liverpool, someone will jack you up and steal your heelies.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're saying that living in Liverpool is a bit like that game kids play where you have to avoid touching the ground - only instead of being "out" when you put your foot on the tarmac, you get chibbed 15 times?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Discussing whether or not to go to the ground in a fight against 20 people is equivalent to discussing how to rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 9:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteofred View Post
    My life was a movie
    Okay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 10:48pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit I can't think of anything funny to say. Where's Battlefields? :<

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2013 12:02am

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liverpool? oh me, sounds loike ya 'ad a Brian childhood. of course, we aw remember the bleedin' series of teenage murders of '72 that 'appened in liverpool. it was on the bloomin' wizer and everythin'. I fin' I remember wahn of the interviewed saucepan lids sayin' "that oily rag tried ter grapple and grapplin' is Bale of Hay so I shanked 'im". but that's just common Eigh'een Pence, wite? the golden rule of field of wheat fightin' is, after aw, if the Read and Write goes ter the Penny-A-Pound, it's yogi bear game. anyone can join. me guess is that this is a conspiracy put up by old school karate and such teachers, 'oo were afraid they'd loose students of their Jackson Pollock styles ter bjj.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/07/2013 12:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arskanator View Post
    Liverpool? oh me, sounds loike ya 'ad a Brian childhood. of course, we aw remember the bleedin' series of teenage murders of '72 that 'appened in liverpool. it was on the bloomin' wizer and everythin'. I fin' I remember wahn of the interviewed saucepan lids sayin' "that oily rag tried ter grapple and grapplin' is Bale of Hay so I shanked 'im". but that's just common Eigh'een Pence, wite? the golden rule of field of wheat fightin' is, after aw, if the Read and Write goes ter the Penny-A-Pound, it's yogi bear game. anyone can join. me guess is that this is a conspiracy put up by old school karate and such teachers, 'oo were afraid they'd loose students of their Jackson Pollock styles ter bjj.
    Argh, stupid tiny buttons on my phone! Meant to upvote this post. Sorry my fren'.

Posted On:
    7/07/2013 1:49am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    Dammit I can't think of anything funny to say. Where's Battlefields? :<
    There's nothing funny to be said in this case. Having to fight daily against 10-15 armed northerner thugs when you are a southern nancy boy is no laughing matter. I would hazard a guess that this poor sod had to kill at least two or three people a week just to survive. I wouldn't be surprised if it was double, triple or even quadruple this number, considering in an average week he would be accosted by at least 70 armed assailants.

It amazes me that we are concerned with child soldiers in Africa when the murder rate in Liverpool is that much higher.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast