Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2014 1:35pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Manila Times: Ronins in Manila, and foreign influences on the FMA

http://www.manilatimes.net/ronins-in...he-fma/105766/

This is the first I have heard of a Japanese influence on FMA, but I suppose it is possible. Having studied JJJ in the past, I see little resemblance between it and the systems of FMA I have come across. Admittedly, the system of JJJ I studied was not Koryu, so my perspective on the relationship may be limited.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2014 2:19pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At this late date I think it would be impossible to sort out what would or would not be a jujitsu influence. A big part of traditional JJ is the need to control others or free our weapon arms, no surprise a huge part of what we do in FMA. There are only so many ways to break a grab and I don't think you can sort out direct transmission away from convergent evolution several centuries removed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2014 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    At this late date I think it would be impossible to sort out what would or would not be a jujitsu influence. A big part of traditional JJ is the need to control others or free our weapon arms, no surprise a huge part of what we do in FMA. There are only so many ways to break a grab and I don't think you can sort out direct transmission away from convergent evolution several centuries removed.
    Agreed.

Posted On:
    6/21/2014 5:03pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read the article just gave it a quick skim, but I know Doce Pares guys have Eskrido and I've heard of other guys in FMA who have combat judo techniques. OF course these are newer influences that probably resulted from WWII contact with the Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2014 9:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Didn't read the article just gave it a quick skim, but I know Doce Pares guys have Eskrido and I've heard of other guys in FMA who have combat judo techniques. OF course these are newer influences that probably resulted from WWII contact with the Japanese.
    Yep. There are a few systems I am aware of who have incorporated things from Japanese styles, or styles influenced by the Japanese. However, like you, the ones I am aware of are all post WWII. Modern Arnis, for example, incorporated aspects of Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujutsu, etc.

It would be interesting if there were actually anthropological data showing a historical link between FMA and Japan, but it would be tough to demonstrate at this point.