Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 6:51am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to tell if MT training is legit

Already taking TKD, but I am planning to vary my training with Muay Thai. My college mate suggested that I join him and his friend for private MT sessions at a reasonable rate. Now I know next to nothing about this, so I don't know if the instruction I'll be getting is sound. They already agreed to a free trial session and a short demonstration. Will also interview the instructor.

What should I be wary of?

- is it proper to ask for credentials? Or at the very least, does MT have a ranking system so I can have a very rough idea of his competence?

- what are the bad MT habits that I should look out for?

- are there ways to tell if I am being taught real MT or a bastardized version of kickboxing or the training of someone who just took a month of lessons and is just passing himself off as an instructor?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 9:39am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corum Irsei View Post
    Already taking TKD, but I am planning to vary my training with Muay Thai. My college mate suggested that I join him and his friend for private MT sessions at a reasonable rate. Now I know next to nothing about this, so I don't know if the instruction I'll be getting is sound. They already agreed to a free trial session and a short demonstration. Will also interview the instructor.

What should I be wary of?

- is it proper to ask for credentials? Or at the very least, does MT have a ranking system so I can have a very rough idea of his competence?

- are there ways to tell if I am being taught real MT or a bastardized version of kickboxing or the training of someone who just took a month of lessons and is just passing himself off as an instructor?
    I'll leave it to the MT experts to tell you about any ranking systems.

I can only tell you about my experience looking for a boxing trainer. MT is a professional ring sport, as such anyone marketing themselves as a trainer should either have at minimum a few professional fights - or an extensive amateur career, IMHO.

It is perfectly correct to ask for your prospective trainer's fight record and who his/her trainer was. Finally, ask to see fight footage. (I didn't have to ask for the last part, my trainer wanted to show me his highlight reel). This can and should be done respectfully, and if the guy gets way defensive - that could be a warning bell.

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 3:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some gyms have an in-house ranking system to determine if you're beginner, intermediate, advanced, etc. But there's no codified ranking system like belts. At the end of the day, the only true ranking system in muay thai is one question- are you kicking ass? If yes, keep training. If no, keep training. Most legit coaches don't have a problem answering questions about their training history, as long as you aren't a dick about it. As already mentioned, being a fighter themselves either currently or in the past is a must. They don't have to have been a world champion, but you can't adequately prepare someone to get in the ring without having done it yourself a bunch. The most important thing you want to see out of a trainer is if he makes solid fighters.

"Bad habits" is pretty subjective. There's a pretty standard list of don'ts for most good striking styles- don't cross your feet, don't leave your head open, don't leave your chin up, Can you be a little more specific about what you mean here? I've been to a few different camps in Thailand, and even there, they all had different ways of teaching the same thing, some so completely different that they would make you start over from scratch if they disagreed with the last guy who taught you. Some places taught a long, open guard that was better for throwing elbows and getting the clinch, some places taught a tighter western-style guard, some places insisted on checking and blocking everything thrown at you, some places thought movement was a better defense, and they'd all tell you their way was right. And this was in Thailand, mind you. Personally, I prefer a slightly more movement-heavy style than is typical for "traditional" muay thai, because all of my training partners outweigh me by at least 20 pounds, so standing in the pocket and blasting away isn't really an option if I want to retain the ability to form complete sentences.

No clinching and no elbows = not muay thai. That's a pretty hard rule. As far as being worried about some doofus who doesn't really know what he's doing, it's like I said before, the most important thing to look for in a prospective trainer is his ability to produce good fighters. As far as qualifications go, that's the one that really matters. All the belts and fancy pieces of paper on the wall in the world don't really mean squat if they can't pass along what they know. And if they have no fight team, don't even bother, just turn around and keep walking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 6:34pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good Question man, Under Ajarn Chai their is a Kru ranking that you test for, So instructors under the Thai Boxing Association should be decent, Or like the above said Has the guy been a fighter or currently is? that can help you decide.

http://www.thaiboxing.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 5:14am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will be meeting with him this Monday. Was able to get additional details from my friend. Apparently it is MMA-style teaching with emphasis on MT and the rest on ground game. He doesn't know if he competed professionally but he trains with his co-instructors when he isn't teaching (his fight team?). Forgot to ask the name of his gym. Also, I don't know if this will be of help, but he also did arnis/stickfighting in the Philippines for 2 years. Not sure if this is like Kali, but it is still a fighting art and part of his repertoire. Will ask for the other details when I meet him personally.

So, is there a difference between pure MT and MMA MT? I know it sounds stupid, but I just want to know if I will be getting the same benefit from it. Again, my goal is for self-defense rather than competition.

Well, the good thing I can see is that it doesn't seem to be like those Muay Thai-inspired aerobic type deals.

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 4:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    find out his name and google the **** out of him. If he is legit then legit stuff will turn up.

MMA muay thai and Normal muay thai will be completely subjective.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, FMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's tough to tell if the school has good MT if you're completely knew to it. These are my rules for looking at a school:
    1) the teacher's (kru) fight record is important
    2) the STUDENTS fight record is even more important: every decent, well establish MT school will have at least a handful of successful amateur fighters. This will tell you not only that the kru is a good fighter but that he can teach effectively
    3) there is a big difference between classic MT and MT techniques for MMA (eg: some techniques you are less likely to use if your opponent can try a double leg takedown). The teacher and students should have done at least some fights under MT rules (ie with knees and clinch)
    4) BONUS: the best schools will have the senior students (and sometimes the teacher) hold pads for the beginners ( at least some of the time). Pad holding is an art -- in traditional MT, only seniors hold pads. In North America, this is less common (but much better if it happens). Let me know if you want more advice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2013 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fucking christ. what is this doing in an advanced forum for the better part of a week?

isn't this or something similar stickied somewhere or some ****?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 1:20am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    fucking christ. what is this doing in an advanced forum for the better part of a week?

isn't this or something similar stickied somewhere or some ****?
    Here's an idea, if you don't like it - report the post instead of just adding a no value post to the thread.

Better yet, help the newb by pointing to the sticky.