Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 4:36pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advanced Drill Thread

I thought I would start this thread for club leaders and people who train on their own for whatever reason.

Targeted audience is to people who are just stepping out of intermediary to advanced status. People who are good enough to do their first fights.

I base this primarily on my experience as an "instructor" at my college's Kickboxing club, where it is entirely student run. Main source of my club's drill ideas are from guest speakers and of couse, Bullshido.

To some of you this stuff won't seem very "advanced" and if you go to a reputable school you no doubt have done this.

When contributing, please state:
    1. Name of drill
    2. General description of the drill
    3. Purpose of the drill/what it is teaching

Anyways, thread on. Thank you since I will actively keep track of this thread and use it in practice!
    Note: please exclude padwork combinations from this thread.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 4/12/2010 4:39pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Phone Box Boxing / Line Sparring
    2. Each partner stands very close to each other in their stances. Lead foot should be only 1 inch away from the opponent's lead foot. Start boxing with light strikes, and work up the pace and power. Do not lean back and keep your foot planted.
    3. Teaches in-fighting, reliance on proper guard, and some benefits of slipping. Great for newbies who try to run away from punches and those who rely too much on leaning back.
    Credit: Sang told me this on the forums.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Jab sparring
    2. Each partner spars with Jabs only. Encourage them to move off-line and work different angles. Also encourage them to work head and body, and eventually even jabbing at the guard. Do not allow use of punches from the rear hand, but allow full use of parrys and blocks.
    3. Great warmup for beginners, teaches them how to use the jab and pick target areas on the fly. I found that it is useful to get girls at my club who are new at sparring to gently ease themselves into sparring without scaring them off.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I guess we can call it the infighter drill
    2. one guy can only use straight shots and footwork, the other guy has to get inside and can only throw hooks and uppercuts
    3. teaches infighting as it actually happens in the ring, you have to catch the outfighter before you can hit him. also teaches you to get in and out without getting hit.

or the outfighter it teaches you evasive footwork and timing, and prepares them for what its gonna be like under pressure.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. my coach calls it 'get in the ring and pick up a medicine ball'
    2. about 4-5 guys in a ring circling in fighting stance, you basically throw the ball at someone without calling their name and throw it as if it were a right cross. do it for as many rounds as you like..if you dont throw it hard you are a *****
    3. great warmup, doesnt matter if there isnt even numbers, builds explosiveness which aids power, trains reaction time, plus you're getting a fucking medicine ball thrown at you hard and catching it involves cupping it as it hits your stomach, so there is an element of impact conditioning
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mick, would you clarify that?
    Holding a medicine ball with your reverse hand? Or with both hands?
    All fighters with a ball correct?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were a kung fu school so, we had these on the floor. I have no lcue what it is called.

Yes, I know Bagua but whatever. We use different sized circles, that were used for circle walking, for sparring.

It would be a variation of Phone bos but free roaming inside the circle.

1) Phone box variation
    2) All movement is allowed within the circle.
    3) Helps with quick reactions and in fighting. Really useful for odd man out sparring situations or injuries. As those people help watch if, a person steps out of the circle. Helps with side stepping and turning as full on retreating means you are "out."

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:56pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tie a string across the room. We usually used old hand wraps tied from corner to corner across the boxing ring. It should be about shoulder height. Now move down the line ducking your head under it and popping up on either side. Turn in the corner while ducking and head back the other way. Do this for a round.

This is to train slipping. Remember to use your legs not your neck or waist. Practice different turns in the corners find out what works best for you. Front foot or back foot duck and turn or turn and duck etc.

This is THE drill that trained away my "marching" problem and taught me how to cut off the ring.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plumm or neck wrestling but I have no idea how to explain that over the internet.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Plumm or neck wrestling but I have no idea how to explain that over the internet.
    This is the one where both guys has half of a neck hold you basiclly fight for the inside grip right? Kind of like gi-grabbing in Judo
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast