Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

taking this martial art soon

Hi! Am moving to the sanfo area in 2 weeks and am planning to take up a martial art. My sister's husband is taking up and referred me to this art. Tang il moo do. Tongilmoodo dot com

Wasnt able to find a wiki article, but I assum from the name similarity to tang so doo that it is korean. Want to try out something that is nonmainstream like tkd. Unlike tkd they also have self defens moves youtube dot com watch?v=xkRC_956eBk

Anyways just wanted to know if there are any practitioners here. What should i expect? My bro in law already deposited 2 months worth of training for me in advance as he is excited to have a sparring partner. Not free of course coz i have to pay him back when i get here.

Btw new to the forum and used to take up boxing (welterwgt) in senior yr hs. Not much fight experience after because i tore a shoulder muscle and had to stop. Now doctor says i am all good again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2013 11:27pm

Style: taekkyon, judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at the stuff on the "Materials" section of that site, I thought something seemed a bit unusual. There sure is a lot of emphasis on moral education, family, and religion. At the bottom of the page there are two books signed by "Inspirator Dr. Moon."

Hm. Which Dr. Moon is this? None other than the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, founder of the Unification Church. The site even has a page dedicated to him. I suppose this means tongi-il moo-do is the official martial art of the church (tong-il means "unification"). Here's a story about tong-il moo-do on a (the?) Unification Church news site.

Of course, that doesn't say anything about the quality of the training. Sparring looks a bit like light ITF TKD to me, with some judo thrown in.

I'd expect that you'll hear a lot more proselytizing compared to other MAs. You may also have to pay something to the Unification Church. If you're already a member you may be fine with that, but if not?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd stay the hell away from it personally. Tong-Il is connected with the ITF, however, looking at one of their videos, it looks like what TNMP metioned the official martial art of the Church of Unification. They have forms called "Form of True Love". So yes, most likely not the best choices out there, at least not one I would go into personally.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 5:39pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

Want to try out something that is nonmainstream like tkd. Unlike tkd they also have self defens moves youtube dot com watch?v=xkRC_956eBk
    I don't know what you've been told about taekwondo, but it does have self defence techniques in its curricula. I'm not sure that's a great criterion for choosing a MA though.

Can I ask why you're after something "non-mainstream"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 5:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNMP View Post

Of course, that doesn't say anything about the quality of the training. Sparring looks a bit like light ITF TKD to me, with some judo thrown in.

Not the worst KMA I've ever seen by any stretch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 6:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training could be okay for the OP's purposes, if he's after that kind of light-contact sparring. I guess it's good that they're trying to integrate grappling in their game, though ground fighting in chest protectors, as in another video, doesn't seem like such a good idea.

The main thing is that tong-il moo-do is an offshoot of a religious organization. It may be possible to train in this and not have any exposure to the Unification Church as such, but I doubt it. Maybe the OP's already a member so it won't matter.

Years ago I took Dahnhak. During the first six months it was more or less like yoga, with no particular philosophical or spiritual orientation. It was only later that they started prodding me to attend the "New Human School" and contribute more money. I imagine it could be similar with tong-il moo-do, but who knows?

Posted On:
    6/21/2013 2:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For starters i am catholic and i am not even aware of this unification church thing. While i prefer the dojo i am in to have principles and ****, i dont want my training to involve religion. Be kind to everyone, show mercy, etc are ok when just mentioned but the moment i get a we do this form to honor god or do this punch for enlightenment, then i wanna get the **** out. I paid to train and i want to get training and not 90% indoctrination. I have sunday for that besides.

Anyway ive been reading more into the site and now realize that it is more doctrine and very little martial art. And what the hell is up with the true love thing? Arranged marriages soon? I digress. So what should i do? I may have made a mistake giving my credit card info to my sister so that the lessons get auto debited. Also, after reading all your posts, i just realized that yeah my bro in law has been very insistent that i join. Fear bein brainwashed into a cult now when all i want to do is learn their kicks.

Regarding the tkd, i dont know what itf is. I only saw a wtf gym near the place i will be working. So you guys think i will be better of tkd instead of tang il? Night classes though and for college kids

Posted On:
    6/21/2013 3:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    I don't know what you've been told about taekwondo, but it does have self defence techniques in its curricula. I'm not sure that's a great criterion for choosing a MA though.

Can I ask why you're after something "non-mainstream"?
    Less chance of getting a watered down art and the founder is free to incorporate more stuff from other arts to round off the twchnique instead of getting a set curriculum. For example in tkd you get kicks but a set pattern of forms. Wont the instructor of an officially sanction tkd organizartion get in trouble if he adds things that he learned from like say jujitsu to balancr the art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2013 7:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People go to taekwondo to learn taekwondo, so a curriculum helps with that. If you want to round out your skills then you should probably be cross-training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2013 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Miguksaram - if it were me I'd keep as far as possible from tong-il moo-do. If it was a simple choice between that and taekwondo, I'd choose tkd with no hesitation. But seeing as you've already paid for two months, you could try it out. Maybe they won't bug you with Unification Church stuff initially. Even so, it's likely that part of your tuition is going to the church.

More generally, which style you take depends on what you want. If you want to learn to fight or effectively defend yourself, you're not likely to benefit from tong-il moo-do on the evidence of the videos. If that punch/kick/sweep/throw sparring style appeals to you, you'd be better off finding a kung fu school with a sanshou division.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast