Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 1:09pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    e.g "Ok, but today is my squats day and I need to get my workout somehow. Better brace yourself."
    Zercher Squats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 7:26am

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I body build now for a more masculine look since I did some work in my industry and an MMA athletes body looks tiny as ****(on film). I asked a number of body building competitors and veteran MMA athletes(over 50), and consulting with the body building forum. Which taught me a lot from training and bulking/cutting for 6-7 months. In my experience I learned:

if you don't do barbell/dumb bell lifts, you won't get big as opposed to machine lifts since different exercises target different muscles.

If you are afraid of losing flexibility and speed, then stretch before and after you lift(Duh) with the exception of legs, I do my MA before I do legs. Legs before MA is a good way to rip your ****.

I've increased my protein intake, to casein protein, I'm at 200g+ protein/10-30g carbs/ 30-40g fats daily.

I eat Bison, Turkey, Chicken, Fish, and Egg whites - all lean meats 5-7 meals a day

Protein shakes are bullshit, don't expect to get big or strong and if you overload on them and gain muscle, that one week cruise you take to the Bahamas to show off your bitch muscle will soon fad away after the week is over. Protein shakes however, aren't so bad as long as you take in regular amounts of protein from animals, and or don't have time to grill up chicken breasts, etc.

If you think you're getting ripped or big because you can see your six pack, and you're body isn't proportioned it's not because your big, it's because your body fat is low, and your skinny.

On biceps= **** em, but not completely a trick I learned from a NPC Junior top 3 competitor was that you work your triceps so your biceps stick out.

Cardio: if you want to build mass, and you do over 30 minutes of cardio MA(with the exception of bjj since its push and pull forces), you will lose mass, and muscle but strength will stay. An exception to this rule is if you do take in 400-1000 extra calories than your daily caloric intake.

bench, squat, and curls, are great but don't confuse yourself thinking that's the only work outs you need to be ok. The goal in body building is to look proportioned since that is how fitness competitors are judge.

And you don't like lifting? Well hey, sorry to inform you, but you're a *****. You LOVE lifting, you hate bench? You LOVE bench. Is the mind frame.

Last but not least: for the love of god, work out your legs and not just your upper body. The upside down pyramid look is ridiculous.

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 8:52am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    I've increased my protein intake, to casein protein, I'm at 200g+ protein/10-30g carbs/ 30-40g fats daily.
    Why casein?

Protein shakes are bullshit, don't expect to get big or strong and if you overload on them and gain muscle, that one week cruise you take to the Bahamas to show off your bitch muscle will soon fad away after the week is over. Protein shakes however, aren't so bad as long as you take in regular amounts of protein from animals, and or don't have time to grill up chicken breasts, etc.
    What? Can you elaborate on this?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 12:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protein shakes are just food, man.

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 1:43pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Pretty much what caused the confusion.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 2:17pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't been able to train MMA for about 2.5 years. Sad Scrapper was sad.

Scrapper started a madcow 5X5 on a whim about 18 months ago.

Scrapper has pushed a 340 bench and a 450 squat this year already (before kneesplosion occurred).

Scrapper is eyeballing a 500 lb DL this year (If my goddamn body joints would stop being pussies I'll do it, too!)

I'm pretty sure my ring rust has been more or less compensated for at this point.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 4:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always gotten a kick out of people who say they don't lift because of the damage to their joints, then go off to train with people who are actively trying to damage their joints in order to make them tap.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always like when people say they are going to get in shape a little before joining a gym, starting a lifting program, or starting a martial art.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That one always kills me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 9:22am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    In Pavel's book "Enter the Kettlebell" he says that the reason you see computer programers and accountants do really well in lifting programs, is because they are so used to looking at numbers all day, they will go into the gym and put in the numbers without question. Whereas most people will want variety in their programs because they get board with the numbers. This undermines the program and causes them to have sketchy results.

Just thought it was entersting. And yes, I am a kettlebell nuttrider.
    This is exactly my problem. I've never been able to stick with any kind of strength training routine because it bores the **** out of me. That hasn't really been a problem in aikido, but I'm planning to branch out eventually, and I'm going to have to figure something out.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast