221458 Bullies, 3636 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 12:19pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Attention People:

If you're looking to start, or get back into lifting, go here, do this.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Period. It's retardedly simple, don't make it complicated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 3:11pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bombom View Post
    So, rather serious question here. As you can see my current style is "Getting Less Fat". In the last month I dropped 5 pounds, simply by not eating so damn much.

I have about 60ish pounds of chub left to remove from my fat fucking lazy self. How much should lifting figure in to the equation? My primary goal is to lose the lard, and improve my cardio.

Though if I could get stronger during the process, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

bombom
    Lifting would be awesome. I've been taking the fat guy get strong, then slim down approach. Basically I decided to focus on strength first, then worry about slimming down afterwards. So I've been lifting very seriously, and have been getting drastically stronger. The weird thing is that I've not been focusing too much on my caloric intake, but have still been losing a little weight.

Muscling up will increase your metabolism a bit, making it easy to lose more weight. I wouldn't recommend dieting hardcore while trying to lift seriously, (you need energy to build muscle) but by just watching what you eat a bit and lifting, you will likely keep losing some. On top of that, you'll be packing on some muscle which will at least make you look better.

Last month I ate like a total pig, but still lost a couple of pounds due to my rigorous lifting routine. Not to make this a brag-fest, but here's my results from the last 8ish months, taking into account very little actual dieting/caloric reduction:

Starting body weight: 252, Current: 241
    Starting bench: 155, Current: 230
    Starting squats: 205, Current: 320
    Starting cleans: 135, Current: 190

So as you can see, I've only lost a little over 10 lbs, but with only very minimal on my diet. But my body looks a hell of a lot better as more of my weight is now muscle, which is actually heavier than fat. I'm going to start making a little push on my diet now to drop another 10 lbs or so, but I'll try to keep my caloric intake up on lifting days, just cut out some of the junk and cut back on weekends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and doing much better surviving randori without keeling over, even though I'm not making it to class much. So some cardio improvement.

Weak

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 4:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost - did cavemen lift?
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 5:00pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Phrost - did cavemen lift?
    As much as they used antibiotics and toilet paper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 6:07pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bombom View Post
    So, rather serious question here. As you can see my current style is "Getting Less Fat". In the last month I dropped 5 pounds, simply by not eating so damn much.

I have about 60ish pounds of chub left to remove from my fat fucking lazy self. How much should lifting figure in to the equation? My primary goal is to lose the lard, and improve my cardio.

Though if I could get stronger during the process, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

bombom
    Hey, man, I'd like to add to what the others said.

Look, even if your goal is to look good naked (which I assume is why you want to go down in body fat), you should spend at least a year of strength training, on a basic beginner program then on to an intermediate program.

Don't get sidetracked by the huge number of programs out there, just pick one and stick with it.

Beginners often think that the other program will get them from point A to B faster, but what ends up happening is that every time you switch programs you waste a little more time, so you end up taking longer than you would have -even if you stuck with the shittiest program on earth- to reach your goals.

As a beginner I fucked around so much, man.

I learned what I'm telling you the hard way.

Postpone the six pack abs for just one year.

Reach some ridiculous numbers on your lifts, man.

If I could do things all over again I wouldn't cut weight at all and I wouldn't worry about food too much, you might not lose your gut but the most important thing is to keep getting stronger.

I would follow one program religiously, it really doesn't matter which program you pick as long as you put the effort in.

Like Phrost said Starting Strength is one of the best programs out there. Along with Stronglifts5x5.

Just keep getting stronger.

All else will follow.

I hope this helps, man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2013 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Don't get sidetracked by the huge number of programs out there, just pick one and stick with it.

Beginners often think that the other program will get them from point A to B faster, but what ends up happening is that every time you switch programs you waste a little more time, so you end up taking longer than you would have -even if you stuck with the shittiest program on earth- to reach your goals.

As a beginner I fucked around so much, man.

I learned what I'm telling you the hard way.

Postpone the six pack abs for just one year.

Reach some ridiculous numbers on your lifts, man.

If I could do things all over again I wouldn't cut weight at all and I wouldn't worry about food too much, you might not lose your gut but the most important thing is to keep getting stronger.

I would follow one program religiously, it really doesn't matter which program you pick as long as you put the effort in.

Like Phrost said Starting Strength is one of the best programs out there. Along with Stronglifts5x5.

Just keep getting stronger.

All else will follow.

I hope this helps, man.
    Do this. In the last 8ish months, I pretty much fucked around for the first 6 months. Then I started a program, stuck with it religiously, and began to be much more scientific about it. I've made half of my gains in the last two months. Don't try to re-invent the wheel. There are tons of great programs out there.

Oh, and document everything. Chart your weights, reps, and the rest of your workout. This has helped me a lot in remembering what weights I should be pushing, and keeps me from cheating.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 7:42am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Pavel's book "Enter the Kettlebell" he says that the reason you see computer programers and accountants do really well in lifting programs, is because they are so used to looking at numbers all day, they will go into the gym and put in the numbers without question. Whereas most people will want variety in their programs because they get board with the numbers. This undermines the program and causes them to have sketchy results.

Just thought it was entersting. And yes, I am a kettlebell nuttrider.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 8:05am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The man whose avatar is a kettlebell is a kettlebell nut rider? Man, that fucks with my entire world perspective.

Anyway, kettlebell or barbell, find a program, stick with it for just three months, marvel at the results, repeat. The important part here, truthfully, is not to talk, discuss or hypothesise, but actually fucking start. No "I'll just get my cardio up", no "I'll do a few more push ups so I don't look like a *****", just straight up "the program I have chosen is telling me to do this....hhhrrnnnnggggg". Then stick to it like your life depends on it. Oh, your mate is having a BBQ? "Sorry, bro, I am unavailable". You're offered sex for the first time in six years? "I can't guarantee my performance because I am doing squats that day". Make those lifting days compulsory for yourself. You will thank you in two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 12:42pm

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are offered sex for the first time in six years, you have to figure out some kind of appropriately manly compromise instead.

e.g "Ok, but today is my squats day and I need to get my workout somehow. Better brace yourself."
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast