Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 5:52pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at body mechanics and Kinesiology then come back to me, If you were to describe a punch as a motion what would it be? a push or a pull? then you break down what muscles contribute to that motion so you can train specifically.

alot of what I have said has been taken out of context, Or I have been lazy in elaborating. So ill make a few bullet points.

1. I myself do Weight training, specifically old school Bench, Squats, Overhead press, Upright rows and my inbetween days I do push up, core exercises and chin ups. And I stretch every day

2. I train for Lean Muscle Mass and have no intentions of being Bulky and slow
    3. I run also as Cardio is a big factor in fighting

4. I dont eat huge amounts of food But I sit on 92kg year round.
    Last edited by Boydy83; 7/03/2013 6:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 6:46pm

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I hear the words "body mechanics" and "Kinesiology" I get scary flash backs of a systema seminar I went to once.

It had a lot of flowcharts and diagrams about how all you need is proper understanding of body mechanics and your athletic attributes are irrelevant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Systema is strange I have seen that from a mate of my mine who asked me to punch him hard in the stomach and then I did and he was like I was not ready...

To me Body Mechanics are the structure and by doing strength training your increasing the load it can take.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 8:24pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy83 View Post
    I used Biceps as an example as you yourself mentionend bulking not strength training
    Where did I mention bulking or strength training? You are very confused.

Im all for strength training It did wonders for Bruce Lee, But if you want to be a "fighter" Im saying you dont want to be huge,
    So a much bigger opponent than you who trains as much as you has no chance. Gotcha.

Look at body mechanics and Kinesiology then come back to me, If you were to describe a punch as a motion what would it be? a push or a pull? then you break down what muscles contribute to that motion so you can train specifically.
    A punch is just a punch.

So in order to be an effective fighter, one has to know what all their muscles do and explain what each one does? They can't just, you know, train and be effective fighters. Fighting requires advanced, laborious anatomical study, right?

Give me a break, man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Where did I mention bulking or strength training? You are very confused.

So a much bigger opponent than you who trains as much as you has no chance. Gotcha.

A punch is just a punch.

So in order to be an effective fighter, one has to know what all their muscles do and explain what each one does? They can't just, you know, train and be effective fighters. Fighting requires advanced, laborious anatomical study, right?

Give me a break, man.
    Wasnt directing the bulk thing to you that was to Mister,

A Guy that is bigger then you (strength wise) and equally skilled will beat you,

Never said that, you were arguing with my point of the dynamics of a punch, A punch is just a punch but understanding the why and how will make you a better puncher.

with out structure how would one no how to punch? once you punch as hard as you can using structure one must look at strength training to increase this further.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never said that, you were arguing with my point of the dynamics of a punch, A punch is just a punch but understanding the why and how will make you a better puncher.
    You need to learn how to use the Quote feature; you are getting your responses to people mixed up.

I had a problem with your claims that fighters don't want to be "huge" in terms of muscle mass, that its a hindrance; and that they should know, specifically, that the bicep is for X and the tricep is for Y in order to effectively use those muscles to their full potential.

Those arguments don't make sense to me and seems like you are simply theorizing. If you've got some sources to support your claim that extra muscle mass hinders fight performance, feel free to cough it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 12:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah sorry stil new at this thing,

My theory and some based n what I have read over time, Bruce Lee was big on this idea also and a big advocate of strength training, Cant remember the whole remark but he told Danny insoanto at golds gym one day that body builders had hollow muscle as bulking does not increase strength,

In my theory the more muscle you have the quicker you will gas out, more muscle needs more blood flow meaning more oxygentaed blood, I base this on sprinters, there quite bulky and run very fast short distances then compare that to a marathon runner, I think fighters should be somewhere in between.

Alot of bulky guys have flexibility issues, never really seen any evidence to suggest it makes you slow but alot of pepole claim this also.

Each to there own just my theory

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 5:29am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasnt directing the bulk thing to you that was to Mister,

A Guy that is bigger then you (strength wise) and equally skilled will beat you,
    So everything else being equal... muscle is going to help you win.

So isn't muscle good?

And as a result shouldn't you spend some of your training time improving strength and muscle (which come together, there's no one or the other you can maximize one but they come together) through large compound movements (because they are the most efficient way to add the most muscle in the least period of time)?

Nobody is saying to train like a bodybuilder and get big biceps.

But if you can get big (as big as possible) without sacrificing fight training. (unless you want to stay in a weight class)

Just tell me, please, pretty please...

Why the **** not?

Yeah sorry stil new at this thing,

My theory and some based n what I have read over time, Bruce Lee was big on this idea also and a big advocate of strength training, Cant remember the whole remark but he told Danny insoanto at golds gym one day that body builders had hollow muscle as bulking does not increase strength,

In my theory the more muscle you have the quicker you will gas out, more muscle needs more blood flow meaning more oxygentaed blood, I base this on sprinters, there quite bulky and run very fast short distances then compare that to a marathon runner, I think fighters should be somewhere in between.

Alot of bulky guys have flexibility issues, never really seen any evidence to suggest it makes you slow but alot of pepole claim this also.

Each to there own just my theory
    "Bulky" guys can be just as flexible as "non-bulky" guys.

I think you're confusing being big with being a bodybuilder.

Unlike fighting, there's no required flexibility in the sport of bodybuilding.

That's why no bodybuilders give a **** about flexibility.

And therefore nobody works on it, most people need to work on flexibility to have flexibility.

When you see a big guy that can barely hold his phone 2 inches away from his ear, you can be positive that this guy has never really stretched in his life.

But in the sport of powerlifting (which is also interested in maximizing strength and muscle) there is a required flexibility to squat low, and to get into a proper deadlift position, and bench all the way to your chest.

In the sport of olympic lifting the required flexibility is even greater to recieve a snatch or a clean in the squat position.

This guy is HUGE by all standards and look how flexible he is.

I'm not giving you a hard time by the way, I'm trying to help.

I have no idea about your theory of oxygenated blood so I'll leave it to someone else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 6:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agreed bigger guy in weight division... like I said I do weights too but you need a balance accross the board is all im getting at

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 7:33am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I, too would like to use my Honda for my morning exercise.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast