Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 9:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Nobody that trains for strength gives a **** about biceps by the way.

You mentioned biceps specifically twice now.

Which is either:

Misleading, because you are using a muscle primarily developed for aesthetics as an example of bulk (not all bulk is for looks)

OR

Kind of reinforces my opinion that you are inexperienced when it comes to strength training.

Like my football coach used to say: "curls are for the girls".

I'm not sure what Boydy83 is arguing. Are you arguing for or against weight lifting?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 10:11am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    have you even heard of weight classes? if you get bigger, you have to go up weight classes and why would you do that, the tradeoff isnt worth it. unless you are overreem.
    Mike Tyson. As a short person I am very biased towards the advantages the shorter person can have in a fight. I know most people try to be the big guy at a lower weight when they compete, but I would argue that it is more effective to go up in weight class with more muscle.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what combat sport doesn't have weight classes? Professional sumo. Sure, they have a shitty record when it comes to MMA, but as a sport it does show the value of size.

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    Mike Tyson. As a short person I am very biased towards the advantages the shorter person can have in a fight. I know most people try to be the big guy at a lower weight when they compete, but I would argue that it is more effective to go up in weight class with more muscle.
    Hm. I don't know about that. Being shorter and going up a weight class would put you up against people with some decent reach advantages. I've fought guys with decent reach advantages and it was frustrating as hell. I would think it is a way, but not the most effective way.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 12:15pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that we've established that strength is good for you:

Holy **** you guys. 263 kilos on a barely 90 kilo kid.

He sure as **** ain't "bulky" either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 1:18pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am the first one to admit that I am not doing any weight training. (Exept for heavy weapons and rolling with heavy people in BJJ class). I was always told that weight lifting only "pumps" the muscles up and bullshit like that so I never bothered with it. Plus i never seemed like much fun. (Though my current schedule actually served pretty well for building muscle mass, so I wonder what I could achieve with proper weight training.)

I swear to better myself!

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedle Avenger View Post
    Does lifting yourself count...? :l
    I hope so... If pushups/pullups/bodyweight squats don't count...

Then I don't lift.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Hm. I don't know about that. Being shorter and going up a weight class would put you up against people with some decent reach advantages. I've fought guys with decent reach advantages and it was frustrating as hell. I would think it is a way, but not the most effective way.
    there are always outliers. for every 1 mike tyson there are a hundred short stubs who get their nose jabbed off by moderately good taller boxers.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy83 View Post
    Never said there the same thing... I said I agreed with strength training, I was merely making a point where the last guy said more muscle is better....
    More muscle is always better. Because if you train right more muscle means more potential in almost any fight situation I can think of. Every single one, right down to staying conscious while being choked.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy83 View Post
    As for functional strength I use that term for this reason: You do not do bicep curls to increase power in a punch, a Punch is a push so it is triceps that need development, Biceps are for pulling so you dont want to overwork them for the sake of punching, Instead of the temr Functional one could say sport specific I guess
    A punch is a push? Biceps are for pulling?

Sport specific?

What the **** are you talking about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 5:50pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used Biceps as an example as you yourself mentionend bulking not strength training, Which leads me to believe you punch like a girl... Im all for strength training It did wonders for Bruce Lee, But if you want to be a "fighter" Im saying you dont want to be huge, Now last time I checked Strength training done properly will not make you big. Alot has been taken way out of context here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast