Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 6:16pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ill agree to disagree there, More muscle (Bulk) does not make you a better fighter... Ever watched the like of Sarm-A, Yodsanklai, Buakaw? they are not bulky at all in fact they are extremely lean, and on the other end of the spectrum royce gracie now come on my old man has a better physique then that guy but does it hamper him?

Thatís where Functional strength comes into it, Big Muscle does not mean strong, I agree Strength Training is a part of becoming a complete athlete but so is stretching.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy83 View Post
    Ill agree to disagree there, More muscle (Bulk) does not make you a better fighter... Ever watched the like of Sarm-A, Yodsanklai, Buakaw? they are not bulky at all in fact they are extremely lean, and on the other end of the spectrum royce gracie now come on my old man has a better physique then that guy but does it hamper him?
    Thai boxers are in a sport where weight classes are important and being able to cut to a lighter weight is as useful as being strong. Being more muscular in muay thai just means you're fighting more muscular guys. Royce Gracie is a strange choice- he's got a pretty decent physique (maybe not among chiseled 6 pack types, but still), but he also got in trouble for using steroids, so he's a real wild card here. Not sure what you're trying to say about him.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thatís where Functional strength comes into it, Big Muscle does not mean strong, I agree Strength Training is a part of becoming a complete athlete but so is stretching.
    have you even heard of weight classes? if you get bigger, you have to go up weight classes and why would you do that, the tradeoff isnt worth it. unless you are overreem. Royce gracie was good when he was doing somethign that nobody else could do. now that the skill level of others has caught up, he probably is not a good example to use. plus, he got busted for roids, so....

also, guys like buakaw do a ton of strength training. you seem to somehow think strength training and bodybuilding are the same thing.

oh and while we are at it, can people please stop using the term "functional strength" like its an actual thing. a muscle has a level of strength dependant on how much load it is put under on a regular basis. you can increase or decrease that strength. im not sure how you can increase its "function"

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic..._Delusion.aspx
    poliquin explains it better than i do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 7:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never said there the same thing... I said I agreed with strength training, I was merely making a point where the last guy said more muscle is better.... agree they have weight classes that was not the point the point was these guys are not big ang bulky and yet they have great power in there chosen martial arts, And lets face it Gracie did not use steroids to get big... he used it for recovery.

As for functional strength I use that term for this reason: You do not do bicep curls to increase power in a punch, a Punch is a push so it is triceps that need development, Biceps are for pulling so you dont want to overwork them for the sake of punching, Instead of the temr Functional one could say sport specific I guess

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 7:46pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and more muscle is better. using guys who fight in a restricted weight class doesnt really work. being bigger gives you an advantage- full stop.

sport specific isnt much better. you are still missing the point there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 7:54pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ill stick to what works for me, Thanks for your point of view, Getting off topic here I said that bigger bulky muscle is not needed, Strength Training does not make you huge and is very beneficial, agree being the bigger fighter can be the difference but then skill comes into play too as per aboce 70kg beating 149kg, strength training is part of Martial arts as is Stretching and sparring and refining one's skill sets, hell id say 80% of a good fighter is foot work, But having 26inch biceps will not win you a fight.
    Last edited by Boydy83; 7/02/2013 8:12pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 8:21pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so youre actually gonna use bob sapp as an example? you realise Sapp is the fucking epitome of a guy with no skill who used JUST his size to win right? he is a technically terrible fighter. and he beat ernesto hoost. twice. are you sure you want to keep going with this?

interesting trivia regarding sapp- he has lost 12 of his last 13 fights. somehow i feel like hes just not trying anymore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    was a joke mate, But led to what I was saying about skill, Small wins if Big has no skill, But if big also has skill then small will lose, Just being big will not make you win.

I never could get how he beat hoost, something seriously wrong there with his game plan. but yeah sapp is a money maker in Japan and will fight win or lose until he can retire sad reminds me of butter bean.. best footage is watching cro cop make him cry

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 2:46am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing with lifting and general strength training is when is it ever a bad thing to be too strong.

You can sort the missus out for longer. If you don't have a missus you've upped your chances of getting one by looking good and being able to perform various tasks with more ease. If you have a physical job it will be easier, if you have a desk job you'll look and feel better and being able to impose on the pencil necks simply by looking nails and knowing that you're stronger then them. And of course it helps with fighting.

There's always time to be stronger.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2013 9:05am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    having 26inch biceps will not win you a fight.
    Nobody that trains for strength gives a **** about biceps by the way.

You mentioned biceps specifically twice now.

Which is either:

Misleading, because you are using a muscle primarily developed for aesthetics as an example of bulk (not all bulk is for looks)

OR

Kind of reinforces my opinion that you are inexperienced when it comes to strength training.
    Last edited by Mister; 7/03/2013 9:18am at .
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast