• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also like to point out that the technology to travel doesn't equate to the technology to blow **** up. Just because we have been at war for a few thousand years doesn't mean that an alien species would be the same as us in that department.

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:18am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The odds are about even that we may be the most advanced form of life in the universe as we could be the least....

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yes "if" they can. But until it is proven that they have in fact done that its a moot discussion.
    Welcome to a moot discussion on aliens.

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    The odds are about even that we may be the most advanced form of life in the universe as we could be the least....
    I seriously hope we are not the most advanced, that would kind of suck for the universe. Did anyone notice in space news that NASA is in the process of building a shield that mimics earths magnetic fields so as to protect the mars crew from the solar winds. Maybe we aren't as far off from deep space travel after all. It only takes one new idea and some motivation.

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:43am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I would also like to point out that the technology to travel doesn't equate to the technology to blow **** up. Just because we have been at war for a few thousand years doesn't mean that an alien species would be the same as us in that department.
    I don't know about that. If a species can bend the laws of physics to effectively cross the stars I'm pretty sure that they could cobble something together that could blow **** up if they were so inclined. Hopefully if they'd reached such an advanced level they would have got all of their fighting out if their system. Hopefully.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:58am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I am being sort of based on life as we know, but here goes. Living things spread out and try to get more and more turf, to survive and pass on their genes. Whatever gets to the top of the food chain, tends to eat what it wants until it starves or moves on. While we are used to being told in grade school that explorers were "discoverers", like a scientist looking for a cure, they have been interested in finding a better deal on what they want to consume or own. If the aliens can bend space and time, I would think they would hold us in about the same regard as the ones in Prometheus, which was a pretty goofy movie, but had a point. If they are much more advanced, they will see us as pesky tribesmen in a rain forest, or ants. And if we have a shot at them militarily, they would probably see us as competition. Do you think all the free market capital types that fund an exploration would do so just to advance knowledge? Doubtful. Same would probably go for them. But who can say, maybe they are benevolent Vulcans that would obey the prime directive. Or maybe they just want to give us the anal probe.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 12:00pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 12:07pm

Style: grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a reasonable and respected person talking about life outside Earth.

I hate it when ideas get discounted because crazy people talk fervently about them. Aliens aren't so ridiculous. But because the guy with messed up hair and crazy eyes word-vomits all over a history channel show, aliens can't exist.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj View Post
    Well, I am being sort of based on life as we know, but here goes. Living things spread out and try to get more and more turf, to survive and pass on their genes. Whatever gets to the top of the food chain, tends to eat what it wants until it starves or moves on. While we are used to being told in grade school that explorers were "discoverers", like a scientist looking for a cure, they have been interested in finding a better deal on what they want to consume or own. If the aliens can bend space and time, I would think they would hold us in about the same regard as the ones in Prometheus, which was a pretty goofy movie, but had a point. If they are much more advanced, they will see us as pesky tribesmen in a rain forest, or ants. And if we have a shot at them militarily, they would probably see us as competition. Do you think all the free market capital types that fund an exploration would do so just to advance knowledge? Doubtful. Same would probably go for them. But who can say, maybe they are benevolent Vulcans that would obey the prime directive. Or maybe they just want to give us the anal probe.
    Assuming they have the tech to reach us, war and other atrocities are far from out of the question. Just look at what happened to PLENTY of cultures and people who had less advanced technology and social structure; many were enslaved or taken over. It would boil down to whether or not they felt we were worth the effort, as an asset, to attain.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 12:43pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have the ability to cross the universe I don't think it would be worth the effort to destroy an indigenous population for natural resources when mathematically there are probably vastly more unpopulated planets to mine....
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast