Posted On:
    7/06/2013 10:06am

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Here is the scale:

Is your school competing at all?

Certainly not in BJJ competitions, hence my confusion at this being brought up. In truth, JJK comps tend to be rare and happen in conjunction with seminars/camps and the like. While I'm not sure I can claim that *my school* is competing, I know of several representatives that have/do when offered. Being that my club trains both Judo and the Jitz, and many people in the club cross-train, I think the board of directors prefer to organize Judo comps and have the ones that want to compete do so there.

If I had to be brutally honest, however, I'll confess that competition is not a priority in the club. The reason for this, I think, is that while we have several really enthusiastic, ambitious blue-belts that really give it their utmost, Ju-Jutsu Kai is very inclusive in its mindset, to where everyone "should be able to participate"; as of late, we've gotten a lot more "casual" practitioners than we have "hardcore/serious bizniz" ones, that really just wanna come in and get a workout/meet friends/ et cetera, and this compels my instructor to customize the teaching/training to his customers, understandably.

So in short, my instructor is pretty slow-and-easy with the people that have, ahem, "performance issues", but is still good at helping the more capable/interested students reach their full potential, though sometimes by suggesting things outside his own Dojo. Somewhat regrettable, but understandable.

But then, I don't know crap, so I shouldn't be thought of as much of an authority on the subject.

/Erik

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 10:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, i'll point you to this section once again, for a 6-7:

Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application (LEO, military).
    If competitions are rare, not a priority and typically "in-house" affairs, i do not think a 7 is appropriate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 10:55am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, i'll point you to this section once again, for a 6-7:

If competitions are rare, not a priority and typically "in-house" affairs, i do not think a 7 is appropriate.
    Upon reflection, I think you are right; I think I was motivated to give it a 7 to demonstrate the prioritization of grappling over striking, but I realize this could've given people the wrong idea. I will edit my score (just one notch, as 4-5 would indicate a limited range, and we have no such limitations, tying back with my confusion over the scoring parameters), and I thank you for calling me out on my incorrect scoring.

/Erik

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As soon as my technically unsavvy self figures out how...

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a time limit on edits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a time limit on edits.
    I was afraid this was the case. Ah well, I suppose there's naught to be done; officially speaking, however, the grappling instruction is scored as a six.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123